PDA

View Full Version : If you know the 400 motor stop here!

breaks-alot
03-02-2002, 11:32 AM
All right all I see on here is everything about the xr cam. I really don't know why. I live 5 minutes away from Mark Baldwin and his shop so I stop there often to hang out with him, Matt and Jason. Anyway Matt and Jason were both busy so I decided to chill with Mark for a little bit. I was talking to him about building up my engine. He wants to put a 426 in it, but I still want to run pump gas (have to remember I’m still 15) So I was talking to him about making it a 416. I was telling him about you guys and how you’re obsessed with the xr cam and the 416 kits. So I asked him what would I need to make my 400 beat my friends 440's? He said I was right about the lighter piston revving faster but it doesn't matter how light your piston is if your running a mild cam. So I asked him if Web Cam would help me on the track to hammer it outa a turn and he said that would work great. He wants to do the whole engine like the valves but I don't the money for that. So I figure if I just get a slip on (suppertrapp) an 11:1 JE piston, Web Cam, valve springs and a higher mm carb would work until this summer and I can get some money. What do you guys think? I know all about the suspension and handling crap but I don't care about that until I can my motor done. I need to know people's experiences with the web cam (not opinions) I know in a few years Matt can make me a 4 Stroke B-A rider so I need a good learning bike. If I have to get my valves done I guess I can pay my dad back but I want this project to be as cheep as possible. So who has had experience with a similar set up?

Thanks,
Ben#16

400exRacerX
03-02-2002, 11:41 AM
The only reason why I am running the XR400 cam is because I wanted a decent DROP IN cam, I didn't want to do any head modifications. So terry told me my best bet was the xr400 cam and the je piston kit. I'm not looking to beat 440's, I was just looking to get some more snot out of my motor for a small fee. BTW if your 15 years old how do you have a racing number? You have to be 16 to race a 400ex legally in the ama.

Dave400ex
03-02-2002, 01:28 PM
That Setup sounds good to me. I would just make sure you do what you want the First time. It will save you Money. Have you seen Farr`s CRF450R?

breaks-alot
03-02-2002, 01:54 PM
400exRacerX: You gave me ABSOLUTLY no help to my question. I don't understand why put your 2 cents in when I only asked for people who knew about the Web Cam. Also I didn't say "400exRacerX why did you put the xr cam in your bike. Were you looking to beat 440's?" And the #16 is just what I have on my bike its not my legal AMA#. Besides I only plan on local races this year because of my age.

WarriorMan: I am trying to make sure its what I want. Asking all of my friends to see what they think. About Farr’s bike I have been there when he was organizing the parts to put it together. Usually don't pay much attention to his projects because they all look the same. The real awesome projects are going on at Fisher Cycle in Ashtabula Ohio. Bud (Fisher) has like 2 450 motors and also him and my friend Joey Dreslinski are taking a 2002 cr250 and are putting it in a Leagure frame. Should be quick! You guys should look for Joe this year in the 250A he's going to win it for sure.

I forgot in my original post to ask if anyone has suggestions about a diff cam that works better than web's and also is cheaper.
So..........anyone have a cam to mention?

Dave400ex
03-02-2002, 03:40 PM
Are you in the NorthEast Trail Riders Group? Do you have Yellow 400EX? There was a Kid when we went to Pine Lake that Broke his Chain on the Big Up Hill. I remember he said he goes to Baldwin`s all the Time. Is that You?

Sorry, back to the Topic. I like TC Racing myself. He has a MX Cam that would work for you that is a Drop-In. Gt Thunder, and Sparks also have Drop-In Cams that don`t require any Mods to be done to the Valve Springs or Rockers. You can check out those.

breaks-alot
03-02-2002, 04:24 PM
THAT WAS ME!! The kid who can snap a D.I.D x-ring masterlink in one ride.lol I grew alot more balls after that ride. I now will try like any jump and don't have a care in the world. Maybe we can go ridding again. What bike were you on at that ride?

Dave400ex
03-02-2002, 04:39 PM
We were the Big Group from Columbia City Indiana. I remember talking to you about PEP Shocks. I had my White/Blue Warrior. The Kids I was riding with had a Blaster, and the other one had an old Warrior. I now have a 2002 400EX. The kid that had a Blaster has a New Banshee now, and the kid on the Warrior is getting a Banshee. We raced that 4 Man relay. That was an awesome ride. Are you going on the Badlands ride in April? Jerry is coming down a day early. I can`t wait.

breaks-alot
03-03-2002, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure if I can make it to the badlands, I have to do some convincing to my dad. That ride was awesome, but I liked that day after where it was like a clean up ride. The kid with the blaster made the thing fly, I hope when I get my motor done we can race now that he has that banshee. The real cool thing about that ride was that was the very first time I have every done a competitive event in the woods. I really had no clue what to do but to give it gas and hope the trees wouldn't pop out at me. But that ride at Pine Lake really changed how I ride, after that I got in great racing shape. I dropped my weight down to 130-131 and got an in-home gym for x-mas (a full one) so I am ready to try and keep up with my pro mx friends.

Back to the post outa of those 3 drop in cams witch one have you heard would be best? I want one that will make my 416 rev extremely quick but still leave me with low end. This will be my only year with a 416 next year I will get a 440(I can afford VP then) so the "best" to me would probably be the in between performance cam. Sorta like is there were #'s on these cams I would want the 2. That way I have a fast bike and still can keep the cam when I get my 416 punched out. So what you guys think?
I am really thinking about the TC but I know Baldwin has like everything sparks in stock so I think price will be the decider in this. It would help me a ton if someone could tell me where to get the prices for CT and GT Thunder.

Thanks,
Ben#16

Lil90man!!
03-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Ok now someone correct me if i am wrong but it doesn't matter how big your cylinder is or anything with what octane fuel u have to use, octane rating depends on your bikes compression ratio anything below 11 to 1 u don't have to use race gas, unless all 440's are above 11 ta 1???

Matt Fisher
03-03-2002, 05:59 PM
There are lots of variables that dictate what octane fuel you must run. A larger cylinder by nature needs higher octane because the flame has farther to travel. Is it significant on a 86 to 89mm bore? Not likely. It may be a wash, as the valves will be less shrouded by the cylinder walls and might have better swirl. I'm guessing that only Honda would know that for sure.

GT Thunder, Web 450/451, and White Bros Track cam are all the same cam. About $160. That's what I'd go with given your scenario.

Dave400ex
03-03-2002, 07:36 PM
I can`t wait for the Badlands Ride. It should be fun. Yeah he got that Poor Blaster moving good a couple times. He is just as good with the Shee. I have really changed my Riding since then. I think the Biggest reason is because I got a 400EX. I know if I mess up it`s not the Quad, it`s me. That was my first race event too. I was a little worried at first, but now that I have the 400EX I want to Rip that XC Course up. You could hear me coming with the TC Pipe that`s for sure. I know I ride different now, all the Guys that were with us even said that. I don`t know what happened that Day, but I`m glad it did. Have you done anything to your 400EX since then?

I know Baldwin carries Sparks. I was on Sparks site today looking at Cams. He has two Drop-In Cams. The one is a Full Out Race Cam, but it`s still a Drop-In. The thing that got me away from it was the $360 Price. The Second one is more of a Mild Cam that only Costs $160. I heard the GT Thunder is for More Mid and Upper. I think it takes away some Bottom End. Chris29 on here has the TC MX Cam and said it added Power everywhere. That`s what I would buy. TC uses that same Cam on Big Bore 440ex`s so it must be a Good Cam. I will get a TC 416 Piston Kit and XC Cam for Mine. My Brother just got his TC National Motor for his 250R put together. Geez, the Front End comes up in Fifth. All that Power came with a Price though. I feel sorry for people racing againist him. I think he`s going to be getting PEP Shocks too. I would go TC all the Way.

400MXer
03-03-2002, 07:48 PM
if you go to Fischer cycle, go talk to bud....he know's his $**T...and he will hook you up.

Dave400ex
03-03-2002, 07:56 PM
I forgot all about Fischer`s. You should just take your 400EX there. Bud would Build you a Killer Motor. 400MXer seems to be Happy with Bud`s Work. I would do that. You could still get a TC Cam if you wanted to.

breaks-alot
03-04-2002, 11:53 AM
I forgot to tell you guys about my connections with Bud. My dad and his were the best of friends growing up so whenever I buy something there I get like a huge price break. The reason I don’t send it to Bud is one really important thing. He is ALWAYS backed up...BIG TIME. I mean my friend Joey Dreslinski and a few other people are at the shop (like Jake Ballslinger) But Bud is the one who I would want to my motor right, well you go in there who is ALWAYS at the counter or helping out some customer... Bud. So how can he do my motor and everyone else's if he is always busy? Him and Shane always have people in there (whether there buying something or just chillin with them) I know Bud is a great motor builder, better than Baldwin and Bateman. But I don't want to have to wait 6 months for my motor to get done. That’s why people send there’s to Baldwin. Mark has nothing to do other than work on motor's and shocks. I mean he gets quite a bit of phone calls (witch he ignores when he is doing something) but he will get your motor done in better than half the time that bud would. And its not like I am having a 500cc job done, just some simple stuff.

In my last post I meant to say TC not CT. I really felt like an idiot after I read it again. Sorry if I confused anyone. How much is this TC cam? I really think this is the one I am going to get. And about the piston I have a friend that will get me the 416 piston from weisco (he works there) for about $50 so I got that part covered.

Thanks,
Ben#16

03-04-2002, 02:02 PM
Forget Supertrapp:p

400MXer
03-04-2002, 02:09 PM
my motor didn't take 6 months. i sent it out 3 weeks ago and i'll be getting it back today or tommorrow.

Dave400ex
03-04-2002, 02:16 PM
I think Baldwin will do a Great Job. The TC Cam is $209. I would call TC and see if he has any Cams. If he doesn`t call Rocky Ridge Racing. They sell TC Parts. What kind of SuperTrapp were you going to get? I have the TC Modified SuperTrapp. I like it a lot. If Noise is a concern you don`t want it, but if not I would get the TC Pipe. What all are you doing to the Motor? I know your getting a 416 Piston, Cam, and Pipe. Are you getting anything else?

400MXer sent his Motor to Bud and should be getting it back soon. I don`t think it took that Long. You will be Happy with whatever you do.

What all do you have on your 400EX?

breaks-alot
03-04-2002, 02:50 PM
400mxer: What did you have done? If it wasn't anything extremely major then Bud didn't do it. Most likely Jake did it. Jake does good work because Bud taught him. But for some odd reason he is running a Jody Bateman bike this year???

YEE-HAW_400EX_Racer: Its cheep, it adds HP. I'm getting it if I don't buy this e-series on ebay.

WarriorMan: Not too much. Kromelight nerfs-bumper, D.I.D x-Ring, Baldwin Case Saver, JL's Ideal Wheel, 22in Alltracks for winter, 18in tamers for summer, Diff rear brakes (don't remember what Mark sold me), Uni filter, Full Chassis skid plate, P-Brake off

Now the broken parts on my bike: Bent-twisted steering stem, 2 Bent handlebars, Swing-arm skid plate bent to ****, Cracked head, Bent stock 400ex rim, 2 bent 400ex hubs, 2 SNAPED 400ex chains, Bent sub frame, Had to have my uncle (tool and die shop next to weisco) drill 4 new holes in each one of my bead lock rims because they got tore up, Broke off the tool box (trying one tire wheelies), My chrome steel bumper is bent up. Umm that’s all I can think of right now....... (Now you know why I have my nickname)

Is that TC cam with core charge? And whats TC's web site?

Thanks again,
Ben#16

Dave400ex
03-04-2002, 03:02 PM
Yeah I think that`s with the Core Charge. I`m not sure if TC makes you send your Stock Cam in before he sends his to you or not. Www.tcracingengines.com You can`t click on anything. Call TC, 814-723-3514.

400MXer
03-04-2002, 03:37 PM
i got everything to the topend possible....port polish, bored, hardfaced rocker, race cam, very high comp. piston 12 or 13:1 cant remember, modified stock carb(for now, but when i get some money...a 41FCR will be bought). and some other things witht he valves. I've ridden a bike with a motor something like this but it had a drop in cam and only a 10:1comp piston and i thought that that flew...so i think mines really gonna rip. I've also ridden a 440 from fischer and it few too...so i think i will be happy.

breaks-alot
03-05-2002, 07:48 AM
400MXer: That bike will blow ALL of your friend’s bikes away! I was just wondering what you plan on doing with it? GNC MX?
My Second question is did they do a 3 Angle valve job to it? If so then I think I know what motor was yours.

WarriorMan: Is the trip to the badlands worth hauling our heavy enclosed trailer? Or can we bring an open trailer (and will all of our stuff be safe?) This is all I plan on doing..... This month. When summer comes I can get a job and really turn my 400 into a wild machine. Pretty much the same thing as 400MXer but with less compression to my piston. And also niki-sil it so it doesn't run so hot. Then I would start working on my handling goodies. Also do you much does the core charge lower the price to? Or does anyone here know? If you guys don't know then I will just call him.

Thanks ALOT,
Ben#16

Dave400ex
03-05-2002, 04:22 PM
I would Bring the Enclosed Trailer if you don`t have anything else to Sleep in. I think we are staying down there Saturday Night. We will have our Open Trailer. The people at the Badlands are very nice. Are you going to Come?

This is what TC told me, $179 for the Cam with Exchange of the Stock Cam. That was for the XC Cam. Your MX Cam will be $205 or $209.