PDA

View Full Version : 460 reliablity

Martin Blair
02-22-2004, 12:06 AM
I have a few questions on 460 (460-465) stroker big bore kits are they reliable and can you get like a 10.8:1 piston so i can run pump gas when in just riding. Also what kind of power do they make? Do they blow up alot or are they a good choose? thanks.

K_Fulk
02-22-2004, 09:22 AM
With the powroll stroker kit i have you can run any compression you like. The kit uses a shorter rod so you dont have to use a special piston for it. Your cylinder will need decked to their specs though.

I cant tell you how reliable mine is beacuse im still waiting on it. But pm rydes400ex he had that setup

RED121572
02-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Fulk,

Is Hopper done with yours yet? Its gettin warmer out.:D

K_Fulk
02-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Not yet, I think he is waiting on the piston to get back from getting coated be fore he puts it back together. And he still has to deck the cylinder and stuff too. When he gets started it dont take him that long, its just getting him started. :D

02-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Every company should be able to make any kit with and Compression ratio you want. If they tell you their kit only come in 13 to 1 tell them they are full of crap. I think the a stroker is a lot more reliable than a bige bore. I think a 465 stroker will be a lot better off than a 460 bore. with a stroker of that size can produce any where from 40 to 55 HP hard to tell do to all the options you have. a 460 bore will have about the same reliability of a 500 stroker.

Don't take this the wrong way Mr. Fulk. From the things I have heard about stroker kits while looking them before I got mine I found That most motor builds prefer to use a regular length rod and have custom pistons made. This is supposed to have more reliability and hp.

K_Fulk
02-22-2004, 06:47 PM
No offence taking but i have enough trust in my motor builder and powroll that i'm not going to be worried about it.

Just wondering why they told you a longer rod would be more reliable. Mine was saying a longer rod would be ideal for making more power but the design of the motor it would tend to wear the sleeve uneven uneven. He didn't say it was impossible but he was saying it may not be as reliable. Its been awhile since i have had this conversation and i probly left some stuff out or confused some of what he said.

Wheelie
02-22-2004, 07:04 PM
A shorter rod with a stroker crankshaft will result in more side load on the piston, resulting in more pressure and faster wear on the piston skirt.

The longer rod allows the piston to stay at each TDC and BDC for a longer period of time allowing for the air/fuel to mix better at BDC, and allowing for a longer, cleaner burn at TDC.

Martin Blair
02-22-2004, 08:16 PM
well the kit im looking at it a 4mm stoker 460 from lrd

heres a link
http://lrd.sterling.net/cgi-bin/shop/category_detail.cgi?id=96150-460BBK&cat=Engine%20Kits&atv=Honda%20400EX

I sent them a email im sure i can get one in less compression what is the actually bore on this kit like a 426? 440?

K_Fulk
02-22-2004, 08:20 PM
With a 4mm stroke it would be a 89mm piston. Same specs as my powroll setup.

Martin Blair
02-22-2004, 08:35 PM
what bore is that 440? reliable for race/trail bike?

K_Fulk
02-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Yeah its a 400 bore, actually 435. I never had any problems with my 440 motor the 2 years i used it.

Martin Blair
02-22-2004, 10:08 PM
so will this be a reliable setup? how close to stock reliablity.

02-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Just my opinion. I may be wrong completely. I am going to compare K_Fulk's 460 to my 463. even though the sizes are close I think power delivery woul be quit different. I think with a 4 mm stoke the motor will rev a lot quicker wich would be great for MX. with a 6mm stroke(463) I think the motor runs smoother at low RPM's which is nicer for woods riding and racing.

pnut420
02-23-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
Every company should be able to make any kit with and Compression ratio you want. If they tell you their kit only come in 13 to 1 tell them they are full of crap. I think the a stroker is a lot more reliable than a bige bore. I think a 465 stroker will be a lot better off than a 460 bore. with a stroker of that size can produce any where from 40 to 55 HP hard to tell do to all the options you have. a 460 bore will have about the same reliability of a 500 stroker.

Don't take this the wrong way Mr. Fulk. From the things I have heard about stroker kits while looking them before I got mine I found That most motor builds prefer to use a regular length rod and have custom pistons made. This is supposed to have more reliability and hp.

I dont really agree with this. Powroll offers a stroker kit where you use a stock length rod (which is weak, or you buy a aftermarket rod $$$), then you have to run a custom made piston that is shorter, and the shorter piston is going to want to walk more in the cylinder because it is shorter. They also offer the higher end kit which K_Fulk has, and the shorter rod might put a little more sidewall pressure, but it is still better than running a shorter piston. Basically if you were to use the stock length rod and go with a aftermarket rod and a custom made piston it would cost you more than it would to get the kit that K_Fulk got which includes a nice hd rod. Also a top end rebuild once a year isnt that hard to do, so even if their was more wear it still wouldnt be a big deal. Talk to powroll and FDO and they will both tell you that the shorter rod is the way to go, then this way you can still run any piston you want.

02-23-2004, 01:53 PM
pnut420 you may be correct I am not sure. I am just going on what I heard and what I WANTED to belive before I built mine.

no offense there is one statement you made that is fore sure incorrect. FDO is a stong believer in stock lentgh rods with custom pistons. i have had too much work done there and seen too many motors beign work on to believe your statment.

Martin Blair
02-23-2004, 01:57 PM
so reliably 4mm stroker for woods yes no? stock reliablity?

pnut420
02-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
pnut420 you may be correct I am not sure. I am just going on what I heard and what I WANTED to belive before I built mine.

no offense there is one statement you made that is fore sure incorrect. FDO is a stong believer in stock lentgh rods with custom pistons. i have had too much work done there and seen too many motors beign work on to believe your statment.

I might be off on FDO, but from what I can remember I talked to them as well as powroll and they both pointed me towards the shorter rod, but maybe that was because that is what would be best for the type of riding I do. But I do know the shorter the piston is the more it is going to want to walk in the cylinder.

Martin Blair
02-23-2004, 07:08 PM
so yes no or should i go with a larger stoke like 6mm of fdo short rod?

02-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Personly I have and LOVE my 463 stroker from fdo wich has a regular legth rod and special piston. It can be made what ever compression you want.

Martin Blair
02-23-2004, 07:54 PM
still no one ahs answered how does it compare to stock reliablality?

I have been talking to guys a lrd and they think for racing even gncc the 440 would be much better in reliablity and power.

pnut420
02-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
still no one ahs answered how does it compare to stock reliablality?

I have been talking to guys a lrd and they think for racing even gncc the 440 would be much better in reliablity and power.

I would just do a 440 stroker from powroll personally with the shorter rod, it runs about $550. Go to powroll.com and check out their kits, also you could call Micky Dunlap and send it in to him at four stroke tech and he could send your crank to powroll and have them stroke it, that might be the cheapest and best way to go, as far as reliability, FDO, powroll, and four stroke tech all do great work, call around for prices and options. Their are also plenty other great builders, LRD, etc...

Martin Blair
02-23-2004, 09:17 PM
hmm im liking that poweroll 416 87mm bore with 4mm stoker to 440.

pnut420
02-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
hmm im liking that poweroll 416 87mm bore with 4mm stoker to 440.

That is what I was going to get excpet I would bore my cylinder to a 426, then bore it to a 450, I didnt want to spend the money to resleeve for the big bore and if you want more displacemtn you could do a 6mm FDO crank.