PDA

View Full Version : Frame gussetting- Extended Test

ATVer14
02-21-2004, 11:00 PM
I just stripped my ATV down to the frame for a rebuild and went over my frame that I gussetted last winter and found 10 stress cracks at random places in the frame. I race motocross with this frame, so I beat on the frame pretty good, but I just thought I'd get this info out there since no one ever seems to do follow-up posts for mods that go wrong. Take what you want from it.
Kenny

INFANTRY RACING
02-21-2004, 11:26 PM
how many were actualy created by the gusseting is the question. everyone thinks throwin a gusset in will fix it but all that does is create stress in other places.

Pappy
02-22-2004, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by INFANTRY RACING
how many were actualy created by the gusseting is the question. everyone thinks throwin a gusset in will fix it but all that does is create stress in other places.

amen!:macho

most frames ive seen are over gusseted

ATVer14
02-22-2004, 08:31 AM
My point exactly, by gussetting the frame, you're just moving the stress around, we just have to face it, 400EX frames are not built for the rigors of MX. I would say most of the cracks were caused by the gussets, however if would be hard to prove because they are at random spots on the frame, not at the end or near any gussets. In fact, the spots that were gussetted seem to be holding up pretty well, and they must be doing their job transferring the stress of that spot to other points on the frame. I am still using the frame next year, I'll just grind and weld all the stress cracks in it now because I don't have the cash for an aftermarket frame. So it's not unusable now, its just disappointing, and not to mention time consuming, to see after putting a ton of time in last winter designing the gussets. Plus, its going to ruin my beautiful powder coat!!!:mad:
Kenny

INFANTRY RACING
02-22-2004, 09:11 AM
god i have been looking at some of the gusset threads lately and see gussets in spot that i have never heard of cracking. the only place i've ever cracked is the left foot peg weld.

When you add gussets they stiffen the area and transfer the stress to somewhere else. Nobody realizes that you need flex in the frame.

If you crack your frame running motocross on stock suspension thats your fault not the frames

beak7707
02-22-2004, 09:54 AM
So is it even worth it to gusset a frame? I was thinking about getting my 250r gusseted at the end of the season.

02-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by beak7707
So is it even worth it to gusset a frame? .

Yes

nacs400ex
02-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by beak7707
So is it even worth it to gusset a frame? I was thinking about getting my 250r gusseted at the end of the season.

I wouldnt even think of not gussetting it, you just have to use your head and not over gusset it.

beak7707
02-22-2004, 10:25 AM
should i olny gusset around the footpegs on the 87 stock R frame. That is the main weak spot correct? Would you put them anywhere else?

ATVer14
02-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Yes, gussetting will definatly increase the overall durability of the frame, but it isn't going to make it aftermarket-frame quality. It's kind of like a band-aid over the problem, it will make it go away for a while, even longer if you take it easy on the frame, but it doesn't solve the problem. And like a few other guys here said, just take it easy on the gussets, this is a situation where less is more. :D

Infantry- I run TCS suspension, far from stock :macho

INFANTRY RACING
02-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by ATVer14

Infantry- I run TCS suspension, far from stock :macho i wasen't bad mouthing you in geaneral

If i was to have a crack in my frame i'd weld it and maybe considers a gusset if i felt it needed it. I would sugest waiting till a crack develops before adding an metal to the frame.

any serious racer you should be keeping a eye out for them

beak7707
02-22-2004, 06:54 PM
would you recommend buying a gusset kit, or just have a machine shop do it?

INFANTRY RACING
02-22-2004, 06:58 PM
i would make them myself. seriously how hard is cutting a piece off metal. a hacksaw and a welder could gusset a frame. no special steels needs.

beak7707
02-22-2004, 06:59 PM
thats what i was thinking!

Bean
02-22-2004, 10:29 PM
my way of thinking is, gussiting and rewelding a frame (untill it is totally trashed) is much cheaper and more echomoical than buying a new one

baldyex
02-22-2004, 11:59 PM
well here is my .02 when you go about your rewelding of the stock frame around the random cracks i would drill a small hole at the begining and end of the crack before i welded it up i realize this wont help save the powder coating in any way but it will help too stop the crack from spreading as these random areas have taken some of the stress again just my .02 and a thought that was runnin through my head keep us uptoo date

ATVer14
02-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Thats not a bad idea, I know you can do the same thing with lexan in RC car bodies, drill a hole at the end of a crack to stop it from spreading, and I'm sure the same principle is at work here. I'll ask the guy that does all my welding what he thinks. Thanks baldyex.

Bean- I agree, except that all that money you put into a stock frame gussetting and welding it is really going down the drain because in the end, if you have the ATV that long, you're going to have to break down and buy a new frame eventually. Despite that fact though, I'm stickin with the cheap-o route and welding the frame until I get a new 450r:devil: .
Kenny