PDA

View Full Version : 500cc kit

Dunlap
02-21-2004, 10:46 PM
500cc kits were easy, now on to the hard part,cam and port&flow.:)

oldsandman
02-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Where are the pistons?!

Hawk III
02-22-2004, 09:30 AM
how many ponies will you getting out of it after the porting/headwork etc.?

Dunlap
02-22-2004, 08:00 PM
It all depends on how much more flow I can get out of the head. Anyone can go in and grind on a head but it takes alot of work and time to learn each head. It took over a year to get a raptor head that really works well. As far as cams that depends on what kind of riding you're doing. R&D work is alot of work and learning how everything works together is the key. In the next few months people will run out and have their heads ported, buy cams made for the motorcycle and install a piston that they don't even know what compression ratios they really are, i.e. 400ex piston that claims one number but is really something else. Then the big HP numbers game will start. If you start asking companies what kind of HP they are making it's like asking a woman how old she is or how much she weighs; she is going to tell you a story. Watch what you pay for because the number one thing I hear every day is "I wish I would have known that before I bought this or that".

schmitthead
02-22-2004, 11:36 PM
cool info!!

Hammer trx450r
02-23-2004, 04:31 AM
thanks mickey i never looked at it that way. I do know that i'm alot faster on a bike with usable power over my old bikes were HP was the only factor. Not to mension arm pump and alot of mistakes. This TRX450r is my first 4 stroke and my lap times are better than my modded 2 strokes.

Hawk III
02-23-2004, 06:51 AM
Mickey, when you get done with some R&D give me a shout, I am setting my 450r up for mx. I would be very interested in having some work done by you!! Thank you for the info.

ajr400ex
02-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Mickey,

Any thoughts on which quad is better suited for GNCC's, the Honda or Yamaha 450? I think they are both great quads, a bit of a challenge deciding which one to buy without actually riding them.

Dunlap
02-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Only time will tell which one will be better. The only drawback to the Honda is kick starting it but we are going to put an automatic clutch on it so it will be impossible to stall during a race. Some of the larger riders like the comfort of the Honda versus the YFZ, which I tend to agree with, but both of them need suspension work, different linkage in the rear and the Honda needs a +1 swingarm. Everything is being built for it right now and should have it to debut at Rausch Creek.

rtyfz450
02-23-2004, 09:43 PM
is the extension of the 450r swing arm because of the lofty front end? Is it too lofty and you want to balance the weight more or is it for another reason? My dad is buying a 450r and he likes to be able to lift the front under power to get over obsticles but doesn't want the front off the ground when it is not needed. He thinks my YFZ is perfect (in that respect) for him but wants the honda Also, Is the width of the r Ok or does it also need to be +1 for GNCC? thanks in advance.

Dunlap
02-24-2004, 04:38 AM
Everyone says they would like the R to be 1 inch longer to keep the front end down and adding power to it isn't going to make it any better. The YFZ is good the way it comes, but we will go +1 wider on both so we can run the Douglas 4+1 off set wheels for better turning.

dhines
02-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Mickey,

I assume you're talking about the Z-Start auto clutch? Does that thing really work well? It sounds cool, but I can't imagine it works as well as they say it will...

Dennis

Pappy
02-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
Everyone says they would like the R to be 1 inch longer to keep the front end down and adding power to it isn't going to make it any better. The YFZ is good the way it comes, but we will go +1 wider on both so we can run the Douglas 4+1 off set wheels for better turning.

i still have the stock width arms...and i was planning on staying stock width. i installed my 4-1 hipers and i didnt notice any better turning on my yfz:confused: i was expecting to remedy the stock turning radius but alas i dont feel it did.

will it be better if i went with a +1 arm?

Dunlap
02-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by dhines
Mickey,

I assume you're talking about the Z-Start auto clutch? Does that thing really work well? It sounds cool, but I can't imagine it works as well as they say it will...

Dennis

We will find out how it work shortly.

Dunlap
02-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i still have the stock width arms...and i was planning on staying stock width. i installed my 4-1 hipers and i didnt notice any better turning on my yfz:confused: i was expecting to remedy the stock turning radius but alas i dont feel it did.

will it be better if i went with a +1 arm?

Cut your stops if you want it to turn sharper.

trout
02-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Mickey you said "Cut your stops" if you want to turn sharper, do you mean cut your rubber stoppers on the shock shaft? Im assuming that will increase your wheel travel?

trout:confused:

Hammer trx450r
02-24-2004, 03:33 PM
no he means the steering stem stops. Mickey what do you suggest for the 450r on a limited mx budget.

Hammer trx450r
02-24-2004, 03:36 PM
let me rephrase that. in your opinion where should i start first to get ready for mx. Because i cant do it all right now im tossed on where to start

Dunlap
02-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Elka shocks,rear link and a White Bros slip-on. The shocks will lower it down and you won't need a swing-arm untill you get more power.

Texasrider
02-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Can someone explain what you mean by rear linkage? What will replacing the stock linkage with aftermarket do?

Hammer trx450r
02-24-2004, 05:03 PM
wow Mickey thank you for takin the time. I couldn't agree with you more

Hammer trx450r
02-24-2004, 06:35 PM
makes it sit lower

Hawk III
02-24-2004, 11:22 PM
I also give props to Mickey for answering questions for us!! It's not very often that the BIG NAMED companys or company spokesman would come on and give suggestions ideas etc...most of them are complete ***'s on the phone and don't want to give the time of day when you call let alone take time out of his day or evening to respond to questions. It's refreshing to see someone give a little something back. Thank you Mickey, and btw. when I am ready to start engine mods in the next month of so, I will be calling YOU!!

Dunlap
02-25-2004, 06:35 AM
Thanks for you kind words. You know I can be a real ***** too, but only when someone feels the need to attack me for whatever reason. I have only came on here to help or to give correct info when I see something wrong. So a little good info will save some people alot of money in the long run.

Texasrider
02-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
makes it sit lower

Thanks!!!

Pappy
02-25-2004, 11:23 AM
i have the new elka rear shock and linkage and its awesome!!! i dont know the numbers but it has WAY more travel then stock

Hammer trx450r
02-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Hey how much was the linkage? And i can run my stock shock with it right? I run alot of MX and im thinking i shoulda went with the YZF like Pappy. I am the only one in my circle that races quads everyone else races bikes. So i dont get to talk shop to too many people. For me to pick Mickey Dunlops brain is like heaven to me. But that goes for Pappy, colby, etc. I value every word so thank you to all. It's obvious who to listen to.

Pappy
02-25-2004, 01:57 PM
im almost 100% positive that you MUST run the elka shock with the new linkage. if you have an elka shock the kit comes with the new springs....if you order the shock and linkage it arrives all set up.

and i agree....i like reading what is posted...hell id like to know what some of these guys have forgotton:p

02-25-2004, 02:28 PM
I know you acording to houser you can use a stock shock with their new linkage. but you need a longer shock to get more travel. with a stock shock it will make it sit lower and work a little smoother. I don't kow how that compares to the elkia linkage.
Mickey maybe you can enlighten us on the difference, I know your guys have been running them both?

also I just realized i am talking about the YFZ and I am in the TRX forum.

But I thought someone was talking about the Yammi.

Dunlap
02-25-2004, 03:29 PM
The best thing to do is call Elka and find out exactly what they are doing. We have changed things so many times that even I don't know what we are running. Can you believe it - I don't have the answer! :)

Hammer trx450r
02-25-2004, 03:34 PM
i hope your right gnccer. Maybe the fat stock shock binds in the swingarm with the new linkage because the bolt hook up looks the same. Hope someone can shed light on this, cause i can deal with bottoming out alittle over haveing a lower rear end.

Hammer trx450r
02-25-2004, 03:35 PM
yeah we got em waaahooo!!! we stumped the master actualy how can i call it stumped when he could get the answer faster than me