PDA

View Full Version : not starting

One_Bad_400
02-21-2004, 09:48 PM
my 400 wont start.. i was riding home from a friends at night and i put my hight beens on and the light went off so i put them back on low and the came back on. i was driving down my driveway muting them on an off, the i turnded it off then i tryed to start it back up and it wont fire at all... none of the electrical is working got any ideas what it might be??

i can roll start it and i can press the start butten and it will turn but not when it is off

JOEX
02-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Check the connections at the battery and relay, probably loose. This is a common occurance.

Joe

nofearhonda
02-22-2004, 10:03 PM
there is a fuse near your battery. it should be in a clear case. its a 20amp fuse. but you have to find your short first.

shaun

JOEX
02-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Actually it's a 15 amp fuse. It recommended NOT to increase the amp size of fuses.

Yea, you could have a short somewhere if the fuse is blown.

Joe

JOEX
02-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Another thing, there will be two fuses there, one is a spare. Took me a few minutes to figure that one out:o :p

Joe

02-23-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Another thing, there will be two fuses there, one is a spare. Took me a few minutes to figure that one out:o :p

Joe ididnt figure it out untill I got home from a riding trip out of town with my friends....I was push starting my 400 everywhere & all I needed to do was to change a 50 cent fuse :mad: I had exact same problems as you buddy but I didnt have any shortages

PA440exRider
02-23-2004, 11:50 AM
I put a bigger battery in like one from a Rancher it starts up just fine. Yea but check all the wireing i know that was a problem to. And if it doesnt start well in the cold check to see if the choke is stuck. That might be a problem. It was on mine before. It might look like the choke is off but u have to look in the carb to see if it is stuck or not stuck. Everyone i know has trouble starting 400ex's for some reason but then again the more u modify it the more it is harder to start.;)

PA440exRider
02-23-2004, 11:52 AM
The only thing is is that my wheeler doesnt start in 20 or below tempratures but im good becasue my driveway is down hill all i have to do is push it 10ft to push start it and if it doesnt work there the road is down hill and the bottom of my driveway.

EXerHonda400
02-28-2004, 10:17 PM
sounds like the relay, does anything else work when it is on??

quad_quazy
03-11-2004, 10:39 PM
If you hear a faint clicking when you hit the starter button you should check your batery cables. My freind and I both had problems with the positive cable coming loose. We finally used a little of that red corrosion inhibiting battery spray on the threads and they stopped coming loose. You might also check the water in your battery, if it's not full it won't hold a charge. If the starter won't turn at all when you hit the button then it could be a number of other problems. could be the fuse, a starter relay, wiring problem, or even a bad starter switch. Find someone who knows how to use a multimeter, or a test light, and see if you can find where you're not getting any voltage.

red03400
03-21-2004, 03:45 PM
mine did the same thing.....my batery was shot and my float got jamed up in the carb somehow and i juss bought a new batterie and pulled the float out and it was fine