PDA

View Full Version : Runin cooler = power

Wesben
02-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Hows it going everybody ? Allright I was wondering if anyone tried out some air scoops . Also did you notice a diffrence :eek2: How about a larger oil tank , they sure want some serious coin for one of those and I dont think they are going to make that big of a diffrence , but I dont know for sure , thats why I require some input on the subject.:D 440 wiesco big bore kit white bros E series hot cam stage 2 k/n filter , dynojet jet kit white bros rev limiter :macho

mustang93
02-22-2004, 06:06 AM
what about an oil cooler I think that would do more than whats listed above:)

RED121572
02-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Heres my 2cts.

Wrap your header in header wrap. Keeps the heat from the header off the motor.

Ive got the tank and scoups. I like both. Maybe its just me, but to install the oil tank was almost like launching a lunar mission. I had to remove the steering stem and oil cooler to get it there. Pain in the ***. :D

nacs400ex
02-22-2004, 10:21 AM
I would get the oil tank for sure, but if it was me I would be getting both. Another option is to fabricate your own air scoops :macho

Ehsan
02-22-2004, 10:12 PM
desert toyz makes an over sized oil cooler they claim decreases temp by 50 degrees. comes w/ new lines an everything. hella expensive and I don't know if it works for sure.

dannyboy20
02-22-2004, 10:24 PM
how much of a difference do scoops make ???

hondarider2006
02-23-2004, 12:22 AM
I put scoops on mine about 5 months ago, and I could tell that it keeps the motor a lot cooler. Not sure how much, like degree wise, but I could just tell it didn't get as hot. If anything I would get an extra oil cooler and scoops before I got an oversize tank. Just my .02;)

baldyex
02-23-2004, 12:32 AM
here is an interesting one the site / store xr's only sales a temp guge that replaces your stock dipstick and has a guge in the end pretty cool next pay day im orderin one than you could actually moniter a real temp http://www.xrsonly.com/chassis_comp/chas_comp_7.htm
that is the site for their guage looks simple saw one on a trade in bike at a local dealership when i was drewlin over yfz's and crf's getting a 400 oil filter lol any how even a cheap guage is better than none

Texan32
02-23-2004, 09:14 AM
riding "slower" usually create MORE engine heat! You have to understand and take AIR FLOW into consideration. This is the same with just about every internal combustion engine. For instance At 70 MPH, my 600RR (street bike) runs at about 175-180 deg. It DOES NOT matter if i am in 4th gear pulling 10K RPMs, 5th grear pulling 8K RPMs or 6th gear pulling 6K RPMs. Yet if i am at a light for more than 30 seconds (LITERALLY), that 180 will jump to 220 deg. in less than a minute! ....but i'm only pulling 1200 RPMs.....BUT THERE IS NO AIR FLOW through the radiator at idle...except what tha aux. fans pull through.

The slower you ride, the LESS air flow you get across the oil cooler, the oil tank and the jug fins. Why do you think some 250R's, some LT250R's and MOST banshee's will overheat if you try to poke around on them...not enough air flow!

pnut420
02-23-2004, 12:56 PM
If you have knowledge on working on your quad, I would get the Micky Dunlap cooler for about $125 and then send your head and I believe the clutch cover in to him and he will tap it for about the same cost as shipping would be to get the parts there, as soon as I get mine together Im going to do this. I would get a oil tank if you were more into looks. Airscoops and oil cooler should be the best way to go.

sparks400
02-23-2004, 01:39 PM
i have both that a normal person would do haha, i got my custom dual oil cooler setup, which will cool it down and put more oil in, and i omf's so its pretty good running

F-16Guy
02-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Assuming your jetting is correct and the bike is generally in good repair, I'd say the best bang for your buck would be a set of scoops AND an FST-style top end cooler. I have this setup along with a 416 and all the other regular mods, and I've had zero cooling problems, even in the dunes. Even after a hard ride, I feel less heat radiating from the engine when I stop to take a break than I did on a normal ride before those two mods.

hondarider2006
02-23-2004, 05:54 PM
which kind of top end cooler can you get that you don't have to tap into the head? I saw one on here that replaced the oil filter cap, but I don't remember what kind it was...anyone know?

pnut420
02-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
which kind of top end cooler can you get that you don't have to tap into the head? I saw one on here that replaced the oil filter cap, but I don't remember what kind it was...anyone know?

I pretty sure it is the desert toys one and runs around $350. But Micky's cooler is better because it reroutes the way the oil flows. Instead of just allowing a better cooler and dumping into the oil tank, his lets the oil flow from the oil cooler to the head, instead of just putting it into the bottom end and letting the oil pump bring it back up which is going to heat the oil up more as it goes through the oil pump, Im sure Micky Dunlap could explain this better, he told me and I said it the best I could, but I might have forgot a couple things. :devil: