PDA

View Full Version : Boxing.....

Ryan
02-21-2004, 07:49 PM
I recently picked up (2) pairs of Boxing golves. I wanted to pick up the sport and see how well I can do in it.

So far, Im not so good.

Im curious what I should be aware of when im boxing. Is it necessary to have the mouth piece? Any good tips?

Thanks in advance.

BTW- The gloves I pick up are "Everlast" 14 oz gloves. Didn't relize how big they were until I brought them home.

02-21-2004, 08:10 PM
yea u have to have the mouth piece

VIC
02-21-2004, 08:49 PM
You got to have great condition, I remember in high school my friends and I used to throw some on once in a while just for fun. You'd think 3 minute rounds are short when you see them on tv, 2 or 3 rounds and we were exuasted.

Ryan
02-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by VIC
You got to have great condition, I remember in high school my friends and I used to throw some on once in a while just for fun. You'd think 3 minute rounds are short when you see them on tv, 2 or 3 rounds and we were exuasted.

I hear that. When I was messing around the other day with these people, I relized, you must be in excellent shape to do this sport!

Atreyu
02-21-2004, 09:28 PM
You've gotta be in great condition as you realized. I would get a speed bag and a heavy bag-both would help a lot. Use vaseline on your face when in a match so the punches don't "stick" to your face. Then you don't gotta walk into school looking stupid with a black eye.

VIC
02-21-2004, 10:15 PM
You should also start running alot if you don't already and get yourself a jump rope. I'd like to take it up just to get in shape.

Nausty
02-21-2004, 11:00 PM
i'm gonna take it up and I can't wait to get my *** kicked.:rolleyes:

Already got the speed bag and we're gonna get the heavy bag in a week or so. Can't wait to get it all hooked up.

Supposedly your suppose to have a mouth peice and breathe out of your nose because I guess if you have your mouth open its a lot easier to mess up your jaw if you get hit.

lately i've really been getting into lifting weights and all that other stuff and i'm feeling great! After giving it time. Wasn't a overnight thing, thats for sure.

Urpoisonddream
02-21-2004, 11:18 PM
I wanted to learn to box a while ago, I still do actually. My dad wants to sign me up for kick boxing though.

SGA
02-21-2004, 11:46 PM
Heres kind of a neat story. I met a retired semi- pro boxer awhile back. He told me how he used to travel all over the country and used to be on many of the cards as one of the warmup matches before the pros/main event.
I was asking him about the pros, and how they compared to the amatuers and up and comers. He said he has met many pros and sometimes he has practice sparred with some of them in gyms. He explained to me that the big names practice alot with amatuer/semipro boxers in training bouts. He explained they arent there to knock each other out like in a real fight, its for practice and technique training.
Anyway, he was telling me how he was practice sparring in the training ring with a big name pro boxer, and he accidentally caught the pro with a good left hook. He didnt mean to, just a slip on his part. Well, he said the pro went into full fight mode, hit him like 5 times lightening fast before he knew what happened and down he went. He told me the professional boxers you see on TV and Pay per view, that thier speeds and power are incredible.

blondie69
02-22-2004, 10:30 AM
1 of my cousins used to be like 1 of the top young boxers or something in the maritimes (P.E.I, Nova Scotia, & New Brunswick & I think they count Newfoundland, not sure). I can't remember 100%, but he had a match w/ the top young boxer (#1) which was from Newfoundland I believe, but I dunno if he won or not. But I know he was in like the top 3. But then I think he jus gave it up, or doesn't do it as much:huh That was when he was about 14 or 15. He's 17 now.

I always liked boxing. My dad used to do it ameturly (sp) and he says I got what it takes...:huh Like I guess I can punch really fast n pretty hard w/ exceptional accuracy (according to him, he does like the training crap w/ me sometimes when we're bored). But I can't see myself getting in a ring w/ another chick n duking it out. I've taken kick boxing before, I like it alot better myself. But out of all of em...my choice is wrestling:devil: haha, its fuuun.

Some guys around here tho, they always box on like sat. nights. Their just ordinary guys, no training or nothing, but they jus like seeing if they can beat each other. (Gloves, but no mouth guards or nothing). U'll see them come in to school sometimes on monday morning w/ a black eye or whatever, lol.

But if your willing to take a beating and give a beating, go for it!!:blah:

Jonesy21
02-22-2004, 04:53 PM
The speed bag is good for hand and eye cordination, thats about it. Heavy bags are great all around, do bag sprints for 30 sec 3 times, then go into sparring with the bag for 15mins. The bag sprints are good for your endurance alot of people don't see the point in this but when you get someone in the ropes and take it inside you will see the benifits. Also don't forget to work your legs and abs as much as the upper body, anybody can throw punches but keeping the elbows in and using body weight is how its done, learn to piviot to transfer the weight into your arms, and never lock out the elbows at the end of the punch its should be a quick snap out and in. When jumping rope switch from toe to toe, another training tip is to make a rope that you can stick around your ankles that is shoulder length this helps you keep your stance at all times. Work your jabs more than your power punches and practice combos 3 jabs then power etc. Once you have a good technique down try to learn to switch from north paw to south paw or vise versa. Hope this helps, my roomate is the one that teaches me he used to be 3 time golden glove up in Rapid City, regional champ etc. he just started to teach up at the rec. center by our house. Like I said hope this helps and good luck. BTW run lots and lots you'll need it.
Brandon

honda250xrider
02-22-2004, 05:33 PM
i would always where a mouth peice the times i havnt are the times i wish i had busted lips come pretty easily if ya dont wear them.... i made a mistake and got the 16 oz gloves those things are way to big i wish i would of gotten the 12 oz

pineway
02-22-2004, 06:41 PM
If i were you i would find a trainer and get them to teach you the basics. You would be surprised how many little things can affect the fight. Also you dont want to get into any bad habits while boxing and get caught with a good punch and go down. I boxed for a little while and it was a lot of fun, but then football got in the way so i had to stop.

pineway
02-22-2004, 06:42 PM
you should also get wrist wraps you put on under the gloves so you dont hurt your wrists when you punch.

Dunesurfer
02-22-2004, 09:30 PM
I boxed a lot when I was younger and still spar on once in a while.
First, find someone with some training to teach you the basics. They can show you the correct blocking and throwing technique. You want to learn the right habits. Practice on a heavy bag. Don't forget to wrap you hands and wear bag gloves. The 14 oz gloves are good for learning.
Keep you head down, your hands up, and never turn you back on who you are boxing with.
Work on your defence first, Learn how to block and slip punches.
Keep you head and think about what you are doing. Throw combinations and work the body.
ALWAYS keep your hands up, bring them right back after throwing a punch.
Keep your left foot foward (if your right handed) Circle away from thier power hand. Use your weight, not you arms to throw a punch.
Plan on getting hit (yes it hurts) Practice Practice Practice. It takes time to become habit

Good luck

Ryan
02-22-2004, 09:48 PM
I apreciate all the tips that everyone is giving me.

I sort of have a personal trainer. My sisters b/f did alot of boxing as a kid. He has tought me alot so far. I tried to box him and couldn't get one punch on him!

Im trying to stay in the best shape as I can. I've been exercising and lifting since I was 12.

Anyone else have any tips? It is very apreciated!

Thanks!

Crazy4bluEx
02-22-2004, 11:15 PM
practice... jump rope, lift weights, run, be ready to get hit.

I used to box about once or twice every weekend.
It definitly takes alot of energy. Speed, and accuracy is everything. If you can hit "decently" hard, and you are fast enough to stay away from the other guy... you will win everytime.

If you can punch hard, but cant hit within a circle drawn with a 9 inch diameter everytime... you might as well work on accuracy, not strength.... thats my $.02

310Rduner
02-23-2004, 12:38 AM
There are a lot of great reflex routines you can use from martial arts to improve hand eye coordination for blocking and punching.
These all require a partner.

Stand facing your partner, both of you left foot forwards. Have your partner throw a right fist punch slowly at your face. When his right hand comes towards your face, block it using a Perry with your left hand (Open palm perry, imagine pushing someone on the shoulder) fingers curled back so you don't jam them. While your left hand is perrying his punch, it should move it to the right side of your face, deflecting the blow. When the punch is deflected, throw a right punch of your own over your left perry. Your partner will then repeat the same block, and then throw another punch making it your turn to block again. As you continue the excercise, speed up your punches and blocks, but do not go faster than your are capable, because you WILL get hit.
At first your blocks and punches will be very linear and feel like 2 separate movements. As you speed up, you will notice your hands and arms seem to follow 2 clockwise circles, and will be very fluid and smooth. After you get that down, you can switch stances and use the opposite hand to perry and punch repesctively.

Another good technique to make you keep your elbows in tight and protect your sides and stomace:

Stand facing your partner, knees shoulder width apart and slightly bent, and standing close enough together that you can place your palm flat on his chest. Bring your arms up to your biceps in a curl, and tuck your elbows in tight to your sides (blocking position basically). Your partner will throw a slow punch to your stomache, and you will block it by turning your upper body to block the blow. If he throws a punch with the left hand, block with the left side, and same with the right hands. (This will direct his blow the shortest distance away from your center). You MUST keep your arms locked at your side, this is the point of the excercise (imagine a stick keeping your arms pinned away from eachother).

Another important tip nobody covered yet is balance of weight. You do NOT want to put all of your weight on a single foot. (This applies more to street fighting than boxing as far as defense). If for example your front foot is swiped at (probably wont happen in boxing except by accident) then you want to be able to stay balance. If your entire weight is shifted on the foot you will go down. At the same time, if too much weight is placed on the rear foot, you can easily be pushed off your center of balance by a blow to your high upper body (topples your cog backwards, pretty much guaranteeing you a trip to the ground, and a barrage of kicks in a real fight). The perfect balance is found when you can not be knocked over by a swipe at the front foot, not by pushing you backwards. You also need to pay careful attention to the distance between your feet. Depending on your current stance, or attack your foot position will change. If your feet are too close together you are placing all of your balance on a small area, and can be easily toppled. Too far apart, and you are not very mobile as you basically end up planting your feet.

Another tip. Don't let your hands get to close together in your guard. If your lower hand is brought BEHIND your front hand, your guard could be disable by pushing your front hand on top of your rear, effectively pinning your hands and leaving you exposed.

The only way to effectively manage all of the scenarios and details in a real boxing match, sparring match, or fight is to have the basics beaten into you to such an extent that they become your natural reaction. If you have to THINK about what your need to do, its already to late, and you're screwed. Same reason they teach the military and police how they do, your first reaction needs to be the right reaction. This is why it is important to have a competant, experienced instructor teaching you the essential basics. If your basics are not worked out perfectly, you will only end up relearning techniques later, and this is EXTREMELY hard to do.

Ryan
02-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Great info!

wilkin250r
02-23-2004, 03:23 PM
The only time I stepped into a ring, I knocked my opponent out cold. It was in gym class in high school. They had to wake him up with smelling salts three times! He kept slipping back into unconciousness.

They never did boxing at the high school after that. I wonder why?

SHANE03EX
02-23-2004, 04:15 PM
I actually live with an ex-pro boxer named Bret Summers and I bet somebody on this site knows him or knows of him. Anyway training and training hard is the key. Learn the basics and dont be afraid to get hit. You will.

Ryan
02-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by SHANE03EX
Learn the basics and dont be afraid to get hit. You will.

Thats my problem. When im being approached with a few punches, I end up turning my head, not knowing what the other guy is doing. I end up getting hurt worse, though.

I guess I just gotta practice.

batgeek
02-23-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
Im curious what I should be aware of when im boxing.

be aware of the other guy's fists.

redrunner
02-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
be aware of the other guy's fists.

This is the stuff I mean, quick batgeek, quick!

Ryan
02-23-2004, 09:22 PM
I've been lifting like a body builder! Im working on my quickness and strength. Im trying to get seriously into this sport.

Its also good to stay in shape for racing, too :D .