PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

Jonesy21
02-21-2004, 04:21 PM
I've got a 03 400EX and it has been sitting for roughly 4-5 months now:( Sad I know but the military keeps me away from home often. I'm a noob to the quad scene but a very good mechanic(I work on airplanes and cars) Anywho I have some questions
1)What do i need to do as far as oil, spark plug,lubing once I get back?
2) My roomate has taken it out once or twice but says it's very hard to get started to the point of having to roll down a hill and pop the clutch to get it to turn over(bad I know) Any guesses as to what is wrong and what can i do to fix it?
3) What is the spark plug number or which one should I use?
I know this is alot of questions and I would just do a search to find out the general answers but I'm limited on computer usage here in Iraq so any help and replies are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brandon

Fitzy
02-21-2004, 04:28 PM
if you do a seach on all those questions you have, you can find the answers quickly

cals400ex
02-21-2004, 05:42 PM
i, along with many others, use mobil 1 15w-50 fully synthetic. there is no doubt that synthetic oil is better than dino. however, some people claim that you aren't suppose to use this synthetic oil with wet clutches. however, i have been using it for years without any problems along with several other members on the site. if you can pay the little extra for it, that is what i would use. you can lube the chain if you haven't done it for a while. i usually lube the chain after i ride a bit because it is hot then and the lube seems to move into the links of the chain better. 400ex's are just hard to start. you can try putting a 40 or 42 pilot jet in and see if that helps for starting. one thing i can say is don't keep hitting the throttle when trying to start the bike. just pump the gas 4 or 5 times and then hit the start button without giving it any more fuel. the stock plug is a ngk dpr8z. you may also want to drain the gas and put new fuel in. also, you should look at the air filter and make sure it is clean.

Jonesy21
02-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the help:D

JOEX
02-21-2004, 10:00 PM
You might need a battery too. Put it on a charger first to see if it hold over time.

Joe

quadrider400
02-24-2004, 10:37 PM
If you have a Whites Bros CDI (POS) replace it with stock, Big Gun or anything else and your starting problems should be gone.....