PDA

View Full Version : New 400ex too Much Oil?

IMCanadian
02-20-2004, 04:57 PM
I just picked up my new 400ex from the dealer yesterday. I've driven it twice for a combined 8 hours approx. After my ride today I decided to check the oil (the manual says to check it when the engine is warm). To my surprise the oil level is at least an inch over the high line on the dip stick....I can't believe the dealer would put too much oil in!!!! I didn't screw the dip stick back in as per the instructions.

Could this have done any damage to the engine? I do intend on calling them tomorrow but I'm sure they'll tell me its fine.

Any comments are appreciated.

02-20-2004, 05:03 PM
you have to give it time too cool down & settle instead of right after you ride...it gives iot a very innacurate reading...what you need to do to get an accurate reaing is set it on a level surface & let it watm up for 4-5 minutes. then cut it off & check...do not drive it anywhere

IMCanadian
02-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Thanks. I warmed up the engine as per your sugestion and the level is still high but only a half inch over the high mark. Is this a safe level?

hondarider2006
02-20-2004, 06:29 PM
yeah if its above the high level, than its not safe. With 2 quarts(which is barley over what the manual says to use) it should be about in the middle of the "low" and "high" mark, and that is where you want it to be;)

02-20-2004, 07:36 PM
drain some out......it comes out fast though so be careful...having too much oil in your tank will mess your pump up or something...i know its not good

Chanman420q
02-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
drain some out......it comes out fast though so be careful...having too much oil in your tank will mess your pump up or something...i know its not good

umm no

it puts strain on the gears making the engine work harder than its sappost to

RED121572
02-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Yes, too much oil is a major strain on the motor. The first time I changed the oil, I put too much in. Then I wondered why oil was blowing up through the crank vent hose, into the airboot.:D

02-20-2004, 08:22 PM
ok

dariusld
02-21-2004, 12:05 PM
To be perfectly clear on checking oil. 1. Sit the quad on level ground. 2. Warm up the quad. 3. Turn off the quad and let it sit for a couple minutes. 4. Take the dipstick out and wipe it off and put it back in without screwing it in, take it out and thats the oil level. This is basically how the owners manual says to do it.

zlam27
02-22-2004, 10:11 AM
having too much oil will cause the oil to get foamy and aerated. obviously air doesnt lubricate, so the lubricating capacity of the oild is reduced.