PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get +2 A-Arms...suggestions?

MIA450R
02-20-2004, 01:19 PM
Looking to get +2 A-Arms for my 450R, that will utilize the stock shocks.

- Can the stock shocks handle this?
- Suggestions of good manufacturers, at a decent price ?

Honda
02-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Call Scheldon at Lonestar, He could probably answer that question for you. Nice guy also!

kgbg
02-20-2004, 04:43 PM
MIA, Baldwin says they have +2 JB racing in stock.

jdt
02-20-2004, 05:15 PM
T&T Motorsports has Laegers in stock www.tandtracing.com

ROGERS
02-21-2004, 08:34 AM
JH racing (918-371-0101) can get prp std +2s. I saw them on one of his R's the other day. They look good and are at a decent price. Jonny can answer any of your Q's, give him a call.

rtyfz450
02-21-2004, 08:53 AM
There are lots of good manufacturers out there I would recommend Walsh Racecraft, Leager, or Lonestar if you are thinking about racing. It is worth the extra money to get an arm that can withstand the stress of jumping continuously and all those whoops.

About the stock shocks, they will not be properly valved for the bike if you change arms. When you change a-arms to a longer a-arm the leverage point changes and this can effect the way your suspension handles. That doesn't mean you need to throw away your stock shock. You should have your shocks revalved by a shock manufacturer. I go to TCS because I live 15 min away and he will revalve them for 190. that is just a revalve and he also hard anodizes the shock body but not a spring change. This is also helpful because they can make the shock perform properly for your weight, riding style, terrain and length of a-arms. Other places like PEP, works, Santo Delrisi will do re-valves and re-springs. I would call around and see what everybody recommends for the 450r and then make a decision based on who you like the most and the best price.

MIA450R
02-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Is revalving absolutely necessary if I get +2 a-arms with stock shock mounting?

I had wheel spacers on my 416, and aside from bending a tie rod, I dont think I had any probs with the stock shocks.

Wouldnt wider a-arms (with stock mounting locations) and wheel spacers provide the sane effect on the geometry, and the ultimately the load presented to the stock shocks?

I dont formally race...and mainly just trail ride and ride in sand pits....could I get away with +2 arms without revalving, or will I eventually have probs with the stock shocks?

thx for all the replies, and many thanks for the detailed reply, rtyfz450