PDA

View Full Version : i need opinions PLEASE

insaneracin2003
02-20-2004, 11:21 AM
my problem is,i have a HMF slip-on,which is my only motor mod,i live in houston and i called HMF and they told me to use a 165 main with the air screw 3.5 turns out and stock airbox(no mods).the bike runs strong but i know i should feel a lil more difference in the power.it is running rich cause the end of the slip-on exit is really black and sooty <---???.fi i put a filter skin on my uni filter and remove the airbox lid,would this help or should i just go down a size or two on the main?
any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

cals400ex
02-20-2004, 11:45 AM
i would go down to a 152 or 155 keihin main.

hondarider2006
02-20-2004, 02:00 PM
I am running a 165dj main, and that is with a k&n filter with the wb. Removing your lid will make it leaner, but I would only recommend doing this if you don't ride in wet conditions. Other than that go down on the main a few sizes and that will fix you up;)

insaneracin2003
02-20-2004, 03:21 PM
thanks a bunch for the responses,i run mx so hopefully there are NO huge water holes on the track.im going to try it with the lid off and see how it does,if it doesnt clear it up any then ill try to go down to a 160 or a notch smaller.
by the way,i have FMF jets,are they the same size as DJ? i hear they are bigger than factory.

hondarider2006
02-20-2004, 06:32 PM
yup, the jets are the same as dyno jets. I know that factory jets and dj have a difference....but I don't remember what it is...

EXerHonda400
02-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
my problem is,i have a HMF slip-on,which is my only motor mod,i live in houston and i called HMF and they told me to use a 165 main with the air screw 3.5 turns out and stock airbox(no mods).the bike runs strong but i know i should feel a lil more difference in the power.it is running rich cause the end of the slip-on exit is really black and sooty <---???.fi i put a filter skin on my uni filter and remove the airbox lid,would this help or should i just go down a size or two on the main?
any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

If you have the stock pilot jet in it you should put a #42 in and put your screw at about 2 turns and try that, cause 3.5 is over the recomended factory limit that it should be out, but experiment with it.

SGA
02-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i would go down to a 152 or 155 keihin main.

I had a Yoshi slip on/with a UNI foam air filter (Excellent filter), no outer wear, lid on.
I ran a 165 keihin main and had the same prob as you, sooted tail pipe, fair power, even though thats what they said to use. I dropped to a 160 keihin main, lid on, a bit better. Then I dropped in a 155 keihin main, lid on. Took off like a scalded cat. Plug color was good, light tan.