PDA

View Full Version : 416 going In NEED HELP/ASAP

EX_RIDER
03-01-2002, 08:56 PM
I got every thing I need finally.It has all been sitting in my room since November.

My questions are

1. can some one plez tell me how to put the motor in timing.EX= like does the piston have to be at the top of its stroke, or how does the cam go in facing.

I heard that the three lines on the cam chain gets used.The middle faces up and it also alines with the cam lubes(points)and the other two go horzintal.Or do they go alined with the cylinder?

2.Here's my jetting I may go with
170 main??( i am running no air box lid on my custom made air box I made.
What about the needle.What clip should I have that one?

And maybe a quick bref on a break in/ how long with it take.

THANXS

NEED ASAP
it going in tommorow morning!!!!
It feels like X-mas night!!

jcv400ex
03-01-2002, 09:16 PM
1. can some one plez tell me how to put the motor in timing.EX= like does the piston have to be at the top of its stroke, or how does the cam go in facing.

Yes, you need to have the piston at TDC. Cam lobes face down.

I heard that the three lines on the cam chain gets used.The middle faces up and it also alines with the cam lubes(points)and the other two go horzintal.Or do they go alined with the cylinder?

Yep, one facing up, with the 2 on each side.

2.Here's my jetting I may go with
170 main??( i am running no air box lid on my custom made air box I made.
What about the needle.What clip should I have that one?

What kind of pipe/cam combo? If your stock, then I'd start with a 158 main, everything else stock. If your modded up, I'd start with a 165 main, stock needle setting, and a 42 pilot jet.

And maybe a quick bref on a break in/ how long with it take.

If you do have a aftermarket cam, make sure you leave out the de-compression pin and don't let the quad go below 2000 rpms for the first 30 mins. And don't let it idle after it's all together for too long. You'll wear out the cam or followers pre-maturely. Just warm it up and take off.

After assembly, run it for 20 mins. let it cool down COMPLETELY. Run it again for 20 mins. Again LET IT COOL DOWN. Don't go over half throttle. Keeping it down in 1/4 throttle would even be better. Change the oil, then run it for 2 30 min runs, letting it cool in between and keep it under half throttle. THen change the oil again and let her rip!

03-02-2002, 01:58 AM
to get it to tdc if you don't know thake the plugs out og the stator cover and line the line on the fly wheel up. i hope you know what i'm talking of.

Quadfather
03-02-2002, 06:38 AM
Don't forget to only move the crankshaft counter-clockwise to get it to TDC.

EX_RIDER
03-02-2002, 08:31 AM
I got the XR cam also
White brothers Pro-meg exhaust
155 main right now and air box lid on.

What is this decompressor pin thing??

Do I have to change the pilot if i don't change the choke.I plan on doing that next week.

EX_RIDER
03-02-2002, 08:36 AM

??????

Quadfather
03-02-2002, 01:39 PM
I have read the pages of the Honda manual over and over on this subject to prep myself on switching my cam.

There are 3 notches on the cam sprocket. One points straight up, the other 2 align horizonatally, like an upside down "T"

03-02-2002, 02:02 PM
on every motor i've built the 2 horizontal lines are to be lined up flat with the surface of the head

EX_RIDER
03-02-2002, 05:21 PM
Ok,

Got it all together except the timing today.
What happens if you turn the crank clock wise?I moved it a little clock wise but then i went counter clock wise cause i pasted up that T mark.What will happen??Now what was that little think below the cam that in a little pin that had a hole in it?Was that the decompressior pin?I put it back in.I still don't got the carb on yet though or timing done yet.

Quadfather
03-02-2002, 07:20 PM
The manual says you must only go counter-clockwise to prevent the one way decompressor system from functioning and to obtain the correct valve clearance.