PDA

View Full Version : How to replace my 300ex throttle cable?

mc1984
02-19-2004, 08:22 PM
I need to replace the throttle cable on my 300ex. I am looking for some info before i dive into the project, I know I need to remove the plastics and the gas tank. My question is, is is hard to unhook it and reconnect it to the carb? I know I need to take a cover off the side of the carb. Also you can adjust both ends of the cable. Why is this and where do I start with the adjustments???
I really appreciate the help! Thanks inadvance!

Mike

Aceman
02-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Replacing the throttle cable should be pretty basic. Remove all the plastic and your gas tank. I would start by removing it from your thumb throttle first. Once it is off the thumb throttle pull it up and out of the frame. Take the sidecover off the carb, detach the cable from the carb linkage. Now unscrew the lock nut holding the throttle cable to the top of the carb. Only loosen it just enough so it isn't tight. Now rotate the entire throttle cable counterclockwise to unscrew it from the carb. It would probably be easiest with the carb removed. Replace your cable, attach it to your carb, reroute it up your frame and attach to your thumb throttle. You can adjust how much slack is in the cable by turning it in or out on the top of the carb, then locking it in place with the lock nut. You want the least amount of throttle cable slack as you can get, without affecting the idle. Pretty basic, any questions just pm me.