PDA

View Full Version : Best clutch set up for the 400?

howboutchaw
02-19-2004, 07:12 PM
I need some advice.

Currently I have Barnet steels, Barnet springs, and OEM fibers.
The basket, hub, and pressure plate are stock.

When I really start to abuse the clutch, like practicing hole shots, it will slip, chatter, and grab all at the same time.
If I pull the clutch apart and use a jitter bug sander to rough up the steels she will work great for a few hard rides then back to the same bull****.

I am thinking of trying the sparks 8-plate clutch kit with Hinnson basket.

Anybody know if this is the best fix?
Should I get the inside hub pressure plate also?
Has anyone tried the Barnet basket that has the stainless steel drive pins?

I have mostly ran the Mobil 1 oil. Maybe I should go back to the Honda oil. The reason I say this is because the last few times I took it apart to clean the clutch steels they seemed to have a glazed coating on them.

K_Fulk
02-19-2004, 07:34 PM
The spraks or gt thunder 8 plate setup should work fine. I dont think the basket is necessary unless its grooved pretty bad.

02-19-2004, 07:49 PM
i run mobile one & alot of people do here...I dont think thats your problem...I wouldn't reccommend leaving synthetic now that you have already used it also...I heard it is bad for your motor.

02-21-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by howboutchaw

I am thinking of trying the sparks 8-plate clutch kit with Hinnson basket.

That's the exact setup I have and it works great..:cool:

Bill Fuller
02-21-2004, 07:17 AM
I ran stock clutch with a Hinson basket and never had a problem.I also used Honda GN4 with moly exclusivly.Raced mainly XC and this setup would last atleast one season(plates and fibers).

howboutchaw
02-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the advice!

I ordered a the sparks 8 plate kit,off ebay, and am going to get the hinson basket also. I would guess the problem is probably in the basket, it looks like dogs have been chewing on it.
:(

Anybody know how much basket sells for?
Guess it's time to call c-d racing.

Dave400ex
02-22-2004, 08:25 AM
The best of the best would be the full Hinson 8 plate setup, but that will also run you a lot of money. I think the Sparks/Hinson is the way to go. I am running just the Sparks kit for now, and if need be, I will buy the basket later on.