PDA

View Full Version : how do your elkas handle

cummingetit
02-19-2004, 06:54 PM
I just put on front (trp rt ssd comp adj) rear long travel.

The question is how plush are yours over little bumps. It just doesnt seem as smooth as I was hoping for. Does yours still jar and shake the bike when you are going over a ruff surface. Over big jumps it is very smooth but the slow dampning is to hard?

roostin_dale
02-19-2004, 07:15 PM
mine handle perfect..you will always feel rough surfaces no matter what shocks you have. But my elkas handle everything great!

02-19-2004, 08:04 PM
yah...alot of people talk shocks up like it supposed to be like your riding over the road at all times....you really need to sacrifice one or the other if your looking for that kind of ride. either big jumps which means harder shocks or small jumps & trail riding to take the smaller bumps....you could have both but you wouldnt get the best bang for whicever one you do more of....something you have to sacrifice unless you want to buy 2 sets of shocks I guess.

cummingetit
02-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Jumbo- YOU DONT HAVE ELKAS! THINK before you type!

02-19-2004, 08:44 PM
mine may perform better though

muff
02-20-2004, 08:16 AM
try turning your compression down until when you hit the biggest jump you have you just barely bottom out

I just bought a set of front elkas not to long ago and I could not be happier, I got them setup for exactly what I was looking for, and they soak up everything in the trail great and can take the abuse of some larger jumps as well

Pappy
02-20-2004, 09:08 AM
how did you order them? set up for trails or racing?

muff
02-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
how did you order them? set up for trails or racing?

I said for them to be setup for a gncc amature, 150lb, stock a-arms

I really like how they handle...there is a little bit to much body roll but thats only because I haven't adjusted the right height and the compression is on the softer side

Pappy
02-20-2004, 09:28 AM
lol sorry muff i was askin the thread starter:blah:

and the reason i ask is because i had the very same complaint as him. my elkas were ruff at slow speeds, but the faster i rode the better they felt. i discussed this with jeff and he explained that if you order the shocks set up for racing then they will be set up for racing....not idling down a trail. (he actually told me to STFU and drop the hammer:eek: :D )

i rode pep's after that on teh same quad and the slow speed was excellent but i found that the faster i rode the shock never really improved. i liked the pep's but i prefered the high speed dampning of the elka better. so this time elka and jeff knew what my picky intentions were and although i havent rode them yet i am certain any issue i had with elka will be solved

muff
02-20-2004, 12:19 PM
doh :p

Dave400ex
02-20-2004, 01:37 PM
I had my Triple Rates and loved them. Now I will be ordering LT Quadrates soon! Mine work great, but as Pappy said, mine were setup more for racing, so when not riding hard they don't work as well.

02-21-2004, 06:57 AM
Elka's are built for speed. The faster you got the better they work. If you can't put the hammer down don't buy them..:D

Pappy
02-21-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Elka's are built for speed. The faster you got the better they work. If you can't put the hammer down don't buy them..:D

ill tell ya one thing, the set i just installed on my yfz feel every bit as good as the PEP's i had on my 425.....and i loved those shocks. Congrats to elka ....you made me a happy mofo:cool:

02-21-2004, 07:02 AM
ill tell ya one thing, the set i just installed on my yfz feel every bit as good as the PEP's i had on my 425.....and i loved those shocks. Congrats to elka ....you made me a happy mofo:cool:

Since when did you learn how to drop the hammer:confused:

Pappy
02-21-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Since when did you learn how to drop the hammer:confused:

i read a book about it:eek: its called"Learn to drop the friggon hammer or get kikk'd up":devil: it was wriiten by Dr. Ijustsmokdyerass":devil:

i need a lower grab bar now:( the new LT rear has so much travel my vertically challenged arse cant hardly pick the back of the quad off the ground now:eek:

JOEX
02-21-2004, 09:50 PM
.......every bit as good as the PEP's i had on my 425.....and i loved those shocks.:cool:

I'm just might be able to finally try them out Sunday:) ;)