PDA

View Full Version : K&N or UNI?

EX 80
08-20-2001, 07:17 PM
I want to know the pro's and con's of both, a K&N and a UNI filter?

MOFO
08-20-2001, 08:50 PM
all I can add to this is that the UNI does filter better. As for performance, I'm not sure if there is really that big of a difference. I've had my UNI for about 10 months now...not one problem and not a SINGLE trace of anything in my intake tube. It has my vote. :)

Eric

RideRed04
08-20-2001, 11:11 PM
I heard that uni makes the stock filter for the 400ex. Anyone heard anything about this? K&N will let more air through, but it also lets more dust through. The uni will last longer, and is cheaper. If you get an outerwear on the k&n, it filters better, but then you are looking at the same as a uni. I would go with a uni becuase they are cheaper, can be cleaned more times, and filter better.

NVR2L8
08-21-2001, 12:42 AM
I recently talked to a guy who distributes aftermarket parts to the local Honda and Yamaha dealers, as well as several off-road businesses, and he mentioned that UNI makes the stock Honda filters for most of their machines. Don't know if that's true or not, but that's what he said. As far as which filter is best, my nod goes to either the stock filter, or the UNI.

After my recent motor mods (416 with JE 10.8:1 piston, XR400 cam, FCR carb, and vented airbox lid) I ran the K&N with an Outerwear since I believed the engine would need a lot more air given the increased displacement and higher compression piston. When running the K&N though, while I didn't get a major amount of sand grit in my intake tube, I did find a small amount.

I also recently found through "seat of the pants" testing that the stock filter flows well enough for my modded motor. For example, while at the dunes I normally ran the K&N and Outerwear, but when riding in dusty areas switched back to the stock filter. What I found this past weekend though, was that both filters seemed to provide nearly the same overall horsepower. For instance, for months while at the dunes and running the K&N I raced my friend who has a stock Banshee, and for the most part we were dead even when racing in wide open areas. This past weekend at the dunes I ended up running the stock filter, since my K&N needed cleaning and I didn't have any filter oil. Well, we raced again, and after several runs the results were exactly the same!

The UNI is also a good filter, and according to the distributor I talked to, it's supposed to flow better than the stock filter. My only complaint about the UNI is the plastic piece of the cage that slides into the airbox tube...if you tighten the clamp too tight you'll deform the plastic ring and open up an area for dust to enter. For this reason alone this is why I prefer the stock filter, since this piece is made of steel.

moto93
08-21-2001, 07:57 AM
I've been rotating my filters (stock, Uni, & K&N) to see which one works best and found that the stock filter lets the least dust through, followed by the Uni, then the K&N. I'm still trying to find something that stops the very fine dust that you can see but not feel in the intake tube. Anyone ever tried the No-Toil filters?

08-21-2001, 08:09 AM
Are you oiling the filter and outerwear real good on the K&N with the proper K&N oil???

honda4life
08-21-2001, 08:54 AM
I would think that if you oil the K&N the way thay tell you to that you wouldn't have a problem? Am I wrong? I haven't had any of my engines fail in my vehicles that I've used K&N filters in, or are the ones for ATV's that much different?

carlj75
08-21-2001, 08:58 AM
Your supposed to oil the outerwear??

honda4life
08-21-2001, 09:00 AM
You don't have to oil the outerware, but it will help in collecting the fine dust.

08-21-2001, 09:29 AM
It won't hurt to oil it,,,I spray my outerwear with WD-40, before every ride,,,There's a difference in filter maintance regularly and then there's the I check mine every 4 months but can't figure out why my bike runs like crap and that stuff keeps getting in the air boot..not pointing fingers,, I have a few of them guys as buddies.

knighttime
08-21-2001, 09:41 AM
I think the order from worst to best would be stock obviously, then UNI, then K&N. The order of maintenance and ease of use would be the exact opposite. K & N's are the best but you gotta keep them oiled up and they wouldn't be so good in watery areas. If I was a racer or duner i'd use the K & N (keep that mofo oiled and u wont have the dust enter the carb), but I ride trails so I use a UNI, because I believe its a better choice for wet conditions. Although a well oiled prefilter on a K & N would repel the water pretty good.:D

moto93
08-21-2001, 11:09 AM
I use Bel-Ray on the foam filters and K&N spray on the K&N. I also use an Outerware and even pantyhose on the K&N. I check the filter after every ride and never go more than 3 rides between cleaning/changing. When I say dust in the intake I don't mean dirt. The dust is so fine you can't feel it but you can see it. The dust doesn't seem to be affecting the motor in any way I just don't like it in there!

08-22-2001, 06:15 AM
can you run an outerware on the stock filter? If so would there be any advantage to this?