PDA

View Full Version : Oil Tank pressure

kineo3
02-19-2004, 06:26 AM
The wire that comes out of the shifter side of the crankcase (stator wire??) popped out the other day while going wide open across the ice. oil blew all over the place. I shut it down went home popped it back in, sealed it per the manual and added some oil. I let it idle 5 minutes so I can get a somewhat accurate oil level reading. When I go to take the dip stick out it released a bunch of pressure, much like a radiator cap would. I thought I might have too much oil in there, but the stick says about 1/4 inch below full. Anyone have a clue what would cause this pressure??

dhines
02-19-2004, 07:35 AM
Is your crankcase breather tube clogged?

kineo3
02-19-2004, 07:54 AM
Well it is sorta pluged, I had to block off the stock set up and extend the hose out toward the back of the quad because something is causing pressure in my crankcase, and it was pushing oil into my airbox. No one on here was able to diagnose the problem so I tried to make a rig to fix it. I have about a 3' piece of tygon tubeing with a tampon shoved in the end zip tied to the back of my quad. Hey maybe I can get sponsered by cotex. :) You are probably correct that the pressure is building up with no where to go, I just do not have any clue how to properly fix it.

dhines
02-19-2004, 08:04 AM
I would definintely say that the two problems are related. Maybe a partially blocked oil passage? It might be worth disconnecting all of your oil lines and blowing them out with compressed air in the event that oneof them has become blocked. Also, check the oil filter screen below your oil tank.

kineo3
02-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the input, however I have done all of that and more. I have put new rings in, did a leak down test, compression test and anything else any one could think of. The shop tells me there is nothing wrong with the machine, meanwhile oil is blowing all over the back of my quad.

MIKE400EX
02-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Did you measure, inspect and hone the cylinder prior to re-ringing?The extra length of the extended vent tube might be causing the restriction, also check and see if it's kinked or compressed/restricted by the attachment points.

sandspanker
03-01-2004, 06:43 PM
:D did you use one for heavy or light flow days.:p :rolleyes:

BigThumper33
03-02-2004, 02:16 AM
The screen inside my oil tank had a whole bunch of crap caught in it, and I typically changed my oil after ever 2-3 rides. I only had it apart to get it powdercoated, I would recommend everyone take the time to check that screen!