PDA

View Full Version : smoking .....?????

lildude
02-18-2004, 06:44 PM
when i started up my bike the past 2 times i went for short rides it blew out alot of smoke for like 10 seconds till it got warmed up....it has been a while since we changed my oil but i have only ridden about maybe5 or 6 hours if that since we last did....and the one day i found the oil was way low but i normally check it every time or every two times i go riding and when i go its been like 20 minutes tops........but after i put the oil in it thats when it started smoking......I was thinking it could be the rings but i dont think they would go bad after 1 20 min ride with low oil......anyone know what it could be?

stupid driver
02-18-2004, 06:50 PM
sounds like it could be your valve seals. If it were the rings it would be smoking constantly. What happens is when the quad sits w/out the motor running, your seals are probly leakin some oil, and then when you start it up you burn the oil off.

lildude
02-18-2004, 07:03 PM
could that be why the oil level dropped quite a bit in that short of a time......how would i go about fixin this?\

Greg Z
02-18-2004, 08:42 PM
usally when you change your oil it will drop a bit because alll of the oil needs to get through out the engine. when you change the oil most of the oil is in the oil tank.............. If its cold out it will smoke.... tell me what color the smoke is and then we could tell you what possibly the problem is..

White = normal if its cold
Blue = Needs new rings cuz its burning oil

TINT of blue is ok most EX's smoke white with a tint of blue when its cold

HondaMan222
02-18-2004, 10:30 PM
that sounds like what happen to the 416, one ring was bad, and it caused the piston to seze up. plus i was having a lot of gas in the oil, but mine would smoke the intire time riing.

lildude
02-19-2004, 01:12 PM
well im positive its not all couse its cold out...its like a white blue mix i guess but if it were rings wouldnt it smoke more than like 5 or 10 seconds when i first start it up....i was checking all the time but it wouldnt do it unless i let the bike sit shut off till it got cold....like 2 or 3 hours....like if i shut it off and wait 20 minutes it doesnt do it

Greg Z
02-19-2004, 02:11 PM
well its ok if its a tint of blue but if its like more blue then white..

then... you should change your oil let the oil circulate the eninge turn if off remember where the oil was when the engine is warmed up ( oil expands when heated ) and then go on a long ride come back and see if its less. if its less it might be that your oil is burning along with the gas..

I has a slight tint of blue when its cold.. yesterday i started her up around 40 degrees I had no smoke. I have had oil in my engine for 2 months and it has never lowerd

polabareus
02-19-2004, 03:30 PM
It sounds like it might be the valve seals. I have an old 3 wheeler that has bad valve seals, and it smokes while its warming up. DISCLAIMER: I am in no way a certified atv mechanic, and do not claim to be. Any advice I give is strictly my opinion, and should only be treated as such. MUHAHAHAHA!