PDA

View Full Version : installing a sparks 8 plate clutch

brianC400X
02-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Ive aquired a brand new sparks 8 plate clutch kit. Will in go into my stock clutch basket? I'm assuming that the marks on the side of the clutch plates are for the proper stagger in your clutch pack. What is that stagger? Or can i just put im in any wich way?

cals400ex
02-18-2004, 07:08 PM
this setup will fit right into your stock basket. just remember that you put in a fiber first and a fiber is the last to go in. you stagger them fiber, steel, fiber, steel, etc starting and ending with a fiber. i think you will want to soak your plates in oil for a while before installation. also, some people roughen up their steel plates before installing them.

K_Fulk
02-18-2004, 07:09 PM
It will fit in your stock basket, but i would look into a aftermarket one sometime. I copied this from a thread I replied to yesterday.

First take the side case on the side the clutch cable is on. Drain your oil first or there will be oil all over the floor. You will see the pressure plate on the out side it has 5 bolts with springs behind them. After you take them off you can pull the pressure plate off and pull all the disks out.

Soak you new fiber plates in oil for a little bit and rough up the steel plates by rubbing them on cement or something. When you put the new plates in start with a fiber plate then a steel and alternate back and forth. You should start and end with a fiber plate. Put the pressure plate back on and the new springs with the pressure plate bolts. Reinstall your clutch cover then you should be good to go.

brianC400X
02-18-2004, 10:32 PM
thanx guys. So there is no specific rotational stagger.

Chanman420q
02-18-2004, 10:40 PM
whats the point in scraping up the clutch plates and soaking them in oil?

K_Fulk
02-19-2004, 09:13 AM
The point of that stuff is getting some oil on the plates so nothing warps when you get it back together and ride the first time. Scratching the metal plates makes it a little easier for them to grab each other. Making the clutch work better.

02-19-2004, 04:32 PM
yup k fulk is correct. scratching the plates causes them to grab better. its like grabbin sumtin that wet comparied to sumtin that is dry.