PDA

View Full Version : How to get started in racing

tbyrd15
02-17-2004, 08:30 PM
I am wanting to start racing mx but i do not know how to go about doing so. I know this might be a stupid question that is ask a lot, but it doesn't hurt to ask. i have 87 250R with a 295 kit on it but i don't know if i can race this or not, because i think i read that it can only go up to 265cc, and i also have a 86 250R that is bored 100 over. So what would i have to do to my quads to get ready to race and which one would be better to use or should i get a different quad. I live in KY so i guess that the London track would be the closes track for me.

thanks for any info.

bradley300
02-17-2004, 10:34 PM
just show up at a race, when you sign up, ask the person at sign-up, they can answer all your questions. you can race w/ that motor, but i think it has to be an open class

Cole Trane
02-17-2004, 11:20 PM
I agree with bradley, just go to a race and ask them. They'll tell you everything ya need to know. Good Luck!!

SGA
02-18-2004, 06:55 AM
If you dont want to just show up and race, then go to some races first just to watch. Watch some races, walk over to the start line and watch some. Walk around in the pits, talk to some people, and talk with the people in the office about signup and rules, classes, etc. Good luck!

gimp419
02-18-2004, 09:14 AM
If you are talking about National Races then you can race the 295 in the Open class. The GNC's currently offer Open A, Open B, and Open C for machines just like yours. I run a 295R in the Open B at all the GNCs. A local race is a little different, usually they will either have a 2-stroke class or they will break it down into Begineer, Novice, and Advanced etc...
If you're thinking about running any races at London let me know I race there a couple of times each year. And I never miss the national. Hope this helps you out some.
You can race those machines at any track in KY so just show up and have fun!

tbyrd15
02-18-2004, 12:41 PM
thanks for all the info. i usually go to the Nationals every year also.

tants
02-19-2004, 04:44 PM
you need an atva card, then your local district card, nerfs/killswitch/boots/helmet and so on, then you go go and race

gimp419
02-19-2004, 06:26 PM
There is no local district card for Ky. At least not that I've heard of. The whole AMA district racing thing just isn't big at all in Ky, everything is an outlaw around here. But yeah an ATVA card is needed to participate in any AMA or ATVA sanctioned event.