PDA

View Full Version : anyone in the HVAC trade ?

dannyboy20
02-17-2004, 07:56 PM
i was just wondering because im taking it in school and was wondering if you liked it or not.

atvrider12764
02-17-2004, 08:03 PM
my dad is and i do some **** with him.....if you can get a job at a business with alot of buildings all over youll do good or if you join a hvac business or start your own....the only bad thing is your going to get called by all these people in the summer but when its cold they dont want to have anything to do with you...and the weird thing about my dad being hvac is that i dont even have air conditioning in my house!

Gillbilly
02-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Did it for ten years enjoyed it alot.Iwould reccomend a union job or at least an established company,to easy to not have a job otherwise.

atvrider12764
02-17-2004, 08:50 PM
yup my dad is a union worker

dannyboy20
02-17-2004, 09:02 PM
were they installers ? or did they do service ?

SGA
02-18-2004, 06:37 AM
This I know about. I took it in school also. The installation side is a sorry job to have. Hard work, crawling aroung in old attics and under houses. If you like HVAC, go for the service end of it.

CBW
02-18-2004, 08:09 AM
My grandfather was in this business when ammonia was still widely used, then he was a professor at the college in denver, for the HVAC trade, then we moved out here he started a program at a small local college and also ran a business part time. Now i am the owner of that business, i do strictly service unless the install is a walk in or something......no heating for me i dont have time,,,,since he passed away its all mine, and all the headaches that go with it. Been doing it for 10 years now,,,,,been around it for 30 but i diddnt pay attention when i was 5 i guess.,,,,lol
I have 4 school districts under contract, do all the work for Telluride ski and golf company, a few resturants, and C-stores...and what ever else people call me for.
We are in a pretty rural area so i have to travel quite a bit sometimes......one hour travel to one call....do the work.....then the hour home and then another couple hours to the next call....etc.......

The real rub is getting people, that are privately owned businesses, to pay..........

other than that its a great job if you like a challenge just about every day.

Take today for instance,,,,,,,,,i have to go to Telluride....to work in a resturant that is 1/2 way up the first ski run. The jacketed steam kettle had a melt down,,,,,,,and the convection steamer needs a check up. The only wat to get there is to put all the parts and tools i can think of in a tote,,,,,,,,then ride the snowmobile up the Mtn. and work for a while,,,,,,,,,then ride back down........thats just part of my day........

catch ya later
CW

atvrider12764
02-18-2004, 09:32 AM
my dad services them and puts them in....but for heating he doesnt do duck(sp?) work but he could he he wanted

dannyboy20
02-18-2004, 10:51 AM
ya im hoping to learn more of the service end because i have been installing for the last 6 months and it kinda sucks. The pay isnt great and neather are the working conditions. I have done a little service and enjoyed it.

ABM-Cannibal
02-18-2004, 11:29 AM
I do sales for a Ductwork Manufactur. We don't do any installing though.

SGA
02-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by CBW

The real rub is getting people, that are privately owned businesses, to pay..........

other than that its a great job if you like a challenge just about every day.

Chris nailed it on the head there. I do service calls all day. Just service, no installs. Yes, getting them to pay a charge can be a pain sometimes. Also, its a great job if you like a new challenge everyday and also like to meet alot of great people!

atvrider12764
02-18-2004, 04:05 PM
my dad just taught me to soder i think thast how you spell it and i got a piece of it on my nose and it killed