PDA

View Full Version : 39mm Carb,,,what end result??

rhandw69
03-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Lately Ive seen a few people post how they have discussed with several engine guys and were told that it is not necsarry to change the stock carb to the larger FCR 39mm. So my question to those with the 416, is it worth it. What and where am i going to feel the big effect of a new carb, and really will it make that significant of a difference. I hear how much better throttle response it can give. Ok, im a little confused by what that means. Does that mean it makes it what,,,,???What exactly does better throttle response mean?! With a bigger carb does it give it more top end,,,more mid more low????? Someone told me once that with the bigger carb it makes it respond somewhat like the Raptor. Now ive ridden a raptor several times, and i have to admit that it does have pretty decent snap once on the gas. So anyways,,just a few confusing questions,,,im hoping someone can answer for me...
Thanks

ChadEXer
03-01-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by rhandw69
Lately Ive seen a few people post how they have discussed with several engine guys and were told that it is not necsarry to change the stock carb to the larger FCR 39mm. So my question to those with the 416, is it worth it. What and where am i going to feel the big effect of a new carb, and really will it make that significant of a difference. I hear how much better throttle response it can give. Ok, im a little confused by what that means. Does that mean it makes it what,,,,???What exactly does better throttle response mean?! With a bigger carb does it give it more top end,,,more mid more low????? Someone told me once that with the bigger carb it makes it respond somewhat like the Raptor. Now ive ridden a raptor several times, and i have to admit that it does have pretty decent snap once on the gas. So anyways,,just a few confusing questions,,,im hoping someone can answer for me...
Thanks
Well I have talked to ALL the engine builders and most agree that a mildly tuned 400 does not need a new carb. I would assume it does make SOME difference but probably not $400 worth. Just my 1 cent

03-01-2002, 10:40 AM
I don't have a bigger carb,,they say it will add 4-6 HP. Gabe stated that when he added the FCR carb to his quad that the power gain he felt was equal to the 416 kit and cam upgrade. If that's the case then that's alot of extra power,,cuz the 416 kit really wakes the 400 up..

VegasEx'r
03-01-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I don't have a bigger carb,,they say it will add 4-6 HP. Gabe stated that when he added the FCR carb to his quad that the power gain he felt was equal to the 416 kit and cam upgrade. If that's the case then that's alot of extra power,,cuz the 416 kit really wakes the 400 up..

If the FCR carb will do to a stock 400 what a 416 piston & cam will do, then I would say it is worth the money. Along those same lines, if it will wake up a 400 that much, it should wake up a 416 even more, right? I have talked to several engine builders who say that the 416 doesn't need any more carb, but I have also talked to people who say that if you have a 400cc engine you should have a 40mm carb, 660cc engine 66mm of carb, etc. so I don't know. It has gotten a little confusing, but I think I will probably buy an FCR carb sometime in the Fall. That'll give me a few more monthe to do some research.

just my .02 :)