PDA

View Full Version : raptor

dempsey400
02-17-2004, 03:47 PM
anyone here ride raptors. im wanting to buy one but need to know some opinions

dannyboy20
02-17-2004, 08:04 PM
I do not own one but have riddden one a few times with a white bros pipe. Pretty quick but i felt like i was going to tip over.

legaleagle
02-18-2004, 09:27 PM
I own a '03, and love it. Tons of power, and reverse!:D

cdrookie
02-19-2004, 03:27 AM
maybe you should head over to bluetraxx.com or paatving.com. doesn't look like you're getting much info here.

Mr.Offroad
02-20-2004, 10:05 PM
I've got an '01. Love it to death. It's bone stock, but has tons of grunt. I've always had Hondas in the past, but I'm very impressed with this Yamaha. It does everything I want it to. I use it mainly as a duner, though.

Matt756
02-21-2004, 08:14 AM
my neighbor has one its ok but i dont kno about the frames hes frame is cracked where the sub frame connects any one else have this problem?? he dont ride much and dont ride hard

Pappy
02-21-2004, 08:18 AM
Raptors are a decent quad, just stay away from the 01 models as they were enamered with tranny issues.

any frame will crack, ive seen very few frame issues with the raptor frames.

power is better suited to mid range and high rpm with the raptor, however with gearing and simple mods it can be made more "woods" friendly if required.

the "tippy" nature of the raptor can be tamed buy using ssd suspension and wider a arms and axle.

the engine is not known for major problems but some of the starters were known to have premature failures.

Mr.Offroad
02-22-2004, 12:02 AM
All of the above problems can be avoided with a little know-how of the nature of the beast. The '01s tranny prob is caused when a shift dog breaks off, floats down in the cranckcase, and lodges itself between tranny gears(usually 2nd), and hand-grenades it. Clean, positive shifts , without forcing the shifter into a gear prevents this. The starter prob is actually a one-way bearing (sprague clutch) that the starter turns to start the motor. If you give it any gas at all while cranking, the engine "back-kicks", and after doing this a few times, takes out the one-way bearing. Like Pappy says, you can bust any frame on any bike if you want to. :)