PDA

View Full Version : Elka Rear Shock?!!!!!!!!???help

MOOCAZEN
03-01-2002, 10:16 AM
A FRIEND IS SELLING ME A NEW REAR ELKA SHOCK WITH THE REMOTE RESEVOIR THAT I CAN PLACE IN THE FRONT WITH 2 FOOT CONNECTION, HE SAYS I CAN ADJUST HEIGHT AND EVRYTHING, HE PAID 790 FOR IT AND WANTS 500 FOR IT, IS THAT GOOD, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IM NOT REALLY FAMILIAR WITH ELKA, THNX

03-01-2002, 11:40 AM
well I'm sure the elka shock has the ssd on it,,which your fronts don't,,,I'd think you'd wanna have the front and rear shocks setup alike,,,either with or without sag,,I don't know if you could run one of each type.. Heck you can have your stocker rebuilt for half that price of the elka,,and I bet it will work just as good.

MOOCAZEN
03-01-2002, 12:01 PM
I HAVE DECIDED TO GET THE LONG TRAVEL ELKA SHOCKS TOO, THATS WHY I ASK YOU

03-01-2002, 12:13 PM
MOOCAZEN, I personnaly recommend it, even if it has the "self sagging devise". :macho The self sagging devise lowered the rear some, especially when you sit on it compared to stock! The suspension travel of the Elka rear shock is unbeliveable. You can easily adjust the compression off the rezzy....:cool:

Again, this is my recommendation. I have not felt an "Elka rebuild" rear shock, but I have riden a 400ex with a "heart transplant" set up about my same weight. Reference Lenny: "440ex4me".

The only 2 negatives I can quickly come up with is that if you have to lift up the rear to move the 400, it will be much harder due to the 400 lifting up soooooo high! :blah The second negative is the price...... your call.

Note: I have the Elka dual rate rear shock with "SSD", and I'm still learning how to dial it in with the compression for different tracks/terrain/jumps, etc.

Ps, I saw a pic of your atv MOOCAZEN.... cool! Rico... I'm still drooling on my keyboard over yours!

Pepto_Bismol
03-01-2002, 12:18 PM
Well, consider this, a new rear shock with dual rate and ssd is about 700.00 to 720.00 bucks. So if it's the same thing, and it truly is new, 500 bucks is great...new. However, consider this, you can get a rear stock to elka conversion of the same setup for 295.00 from Marty at the Quad shop, so think about it (shipping included). Later
Pepto:cool:

MOOCAZEN
03-01-2002, 12:27 PM
WILL THE QUADSHOP CONVERSION LOWER MY BIKE AND ALSO HOW LONG, THE REASON I ASK IS THE WAIT, IT REALLY SUX

Pepto_Bismol
03-01-2002, 02:24 PM
Yes, it will lower the rear because of the ssd (self-sagging device). I just spoke with Marty from the quad shop, and the parts are on backorder until the middle of next week. He gave me a three day turn around once the parts arrived.
Pep.

MOOCAZEN
03-01-2002, 03:23 PM
my friend said if i give him my rear shock and 350 he'd give me the shock, what do you think

kabd69667
03-01-2002, 03:27 PM
You'll deffinetly need to get ssd fronts. i spoke to elka directly and they told me you cann't go without them

About the shock, i'd do it in an instant. Sounds like a great deal. I got the rebuilt rear for 285, but i'm sure the actualy elka shock is better

MOOCAZEN
03-01-2002, 03:30 PM
WHY CANT YOU GO WITHOUT THEM

kabd69667
03-01-2002, 03:39 PM
Something like your back end will sag quite a bit and the front will be at normal height. this is a crude example and i doubt if it'd be this bad but it'd be like \ yea that....but you can go with the front ssd's without a rear. It doesn't make much sence

400MXer
03-01-2002, 03:58 PM
they say, if you do one, do the other too. SSD is a zero preload shock, right? well, if you get a zps rear and a preloaded front, it's gonna ride wierd, your bike will not handle very good. same goes is you get zps fronts and a standard rear. they don't recomend it. because zps and preloaded are two different worlds. if you only get them on the front, or just on the rear, you will defete the purpose of having them.

MOOCAZEN
03-01-2002, 03:59 PM
IM GOING FOR IT, IM GETTING NEW A-ARMS AND SHOCKS ANYWAYS, SO MY *****$ WILL HAVE TO DRAG HAHAHA