PDA

View Full Version : trx 250x wiring/lights

lunchbox
02-17-2004, 02:00 PM
hi, all, this is my first post here, everyone keeps telling me to post up here, so here i am.

i bought a old 250x for my first quad a few months back, and i'm in the process of fixing it up slowly.. i've gotten much of my stuff off of e-bay and have had good luck so far. i do ahave a few questions though...

i'm trying to install a headlight and taillight on it, so i can see..(i normally ride late at night).... i'm trying to troubleshoot the lighting system, and i keep getting confused. what am i supposed to be getting for voltage coming off the white/yellow wire right out of the coil? i don't know how to test it to see if it's bad.... what about going into the regulator? coming out of the regulator? at the headlight plug? the manual doesn't say anything about these readings. i'm at the point that i basicly am going to have to rewire the whole bike, or pay a whole lot for a new harness. any help would be appreciated....
thanks, jeremy

wilkin250r
02-17-2004, 05:23 PM
You may not realize this, but the 250X has an AC electrical system (alternating current). If you are trying to test with a multi-meter on a DC setting, you won't get an accurate reading.

If memory serves, you should be getting about 15V after the regulator. Before the regulator, it will depend on engine RPM.

I can't help you with the wire colors without actually looking at my quad, which is impossible at the moment.

lunchbox
02-17-2004, 06:01 PM
ok.....i have a problem then..... i did get a reading one time of 22.5 vac before the reg. i also had someone tell me that the regulator changed the voltage from ac to dc for the headlight....that didn't sound right to me... isn't that the job of the rectifier (sp?) or a transformer? neither of which i have on this bike... ok, so the headlight is ac powered.... that's a start then... are the newer 300ex's the same way? or are their lighting systems dc? I was planning on getting some trail blazer lights from the local honda dealer, and i want to make sure they'll work. :confused: