PDA

View Full Version : my clutch cable broke is it bad to ride with out???

quader400
02-16-2004, 09:16 PM
well i was ridding today and my clutch cable broke again. i took it out still and rode for awhile with it broken but i made sure to let off the gas every time i wanted to shift. is it bad to do this if your very carefull??/

ILGNCC400EX
02-16-2004, 09:32 PM
yes

BigThumper33
02-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Its called power shifting, nearly ever racer does it. I wouldn't be overly concerned.

shamisc
02-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Just go buy you a $12 cable and save that $120 (that you're gonna spend on a new clutch if you don't get a new cable ) for something else!!:eek2:

JOEX
02-16-2004, 10:37 PM
How do you start and stop without the clutch? I would think there would be more stress on the transmission parts. Very expensive to repair.

Joe

44oEX
02-17-2004, 05:25 AM
it's hard but it's not the end of the world I did that before to when the cable breaks. Just try to get a new one as soon as you can. Don't be to hard on the trans and you'll be ok.

02-17-2004, 05:27 AM
usually it wont let you shift if its to the point your goping to break something though..i know if I give mine some throttle & try to pull the shifter up w/o the clutch in it wont pull up...some kind of safety mechanism I guess :confused:

44oEX
02-17-2004, 06:47 AM
nah you just have to pull harder

02-17-2004, 06:50 AM
Ummmm, the clutch cable is there for a reason and has a purpose. Don't be a retard, replace it ASAP:cool:

dirtmomma
02-17-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
How do you start and stop without the clutch? I would think there would be more stress on the transmission parts. Very expensive to repair.

Joe

I agree w/ Joe on this one HOW do you start? :huh

02-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
I agree w/ Joe on this one HOW do you start? :huh Hold the starter button in and give it a lot of gas, it'll turn over in time but you'll drain your battery dead in no time. It is possible but probably tops the dummy way of starting a quad.

Max400
02-17-2004, 08:57 AM
I agree w/ Joe on this one HOW do you start?

Put it in 2nd, push the start button and hold on.

Hey quadder400, make sure that it was your clutch cable that broke, I was out riding and thiught that I broke my clutch but after closer inspection it was the clutch lifter pin:)

wilkin250r
02-17-2004, 09:26 AM
You'll wear out your starter faster by starting it in gear. You'll wear out your transmission MUCH faster, which is a very expensive repair.

If you're stuck out in the boonies, then yes, by all means, start in gear and powershift to get home. But once you're home, don't go out riding again with the clutch cable broken. That's just asking for trouble. You can limp home in a car with a flat tire, but you're just an idiot if you go out again without fixing it.

quader400
02-17-2004, 01:27 PM
yea it def. was my clutc cable. well starting it i woud start it in nuetral then push it so it would be movng then drop it into 1st. but now its home and ill just buy one. any one know how much a magura clutch costs?

JOEX
02-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by quader400
yea it def. was my clutc cable. well starting it i woud start it in nuetral then push it so it would be movng then drop it into 1st. but now its home and ill just buy one. any one know how much a magura clutch costs?
About $200, maybe a little less.

Joe

gojk
02-17-2004, 02:55 PM
About $200, maybe a little less.

Joe

Best money I have spent in a while. I love that thing.

Very easy to install. And very easy on your hand.

02-17-2004, 03:28 PM
iv'e hear dmore bad things from magura customers that warrented me not to get one....I'll stick with a cable instead of bleeding a $200 clutch :eek2:

bigredfan
02-17-2004, 04:28 PM
hey guys i shift without my clutch.it want shift wot,but if you crack it a hair it shifts smoothly.my 400ex is a 99 and i have had no trans trouble or clutch problems.If you are using your clutch to shift at wot you are letting your clutch slip which causes wear,plus a loss of speed.the loss of speed is not much but every time you slip the clutch it takes time to hook back up and when it does hook back up it is the stress on trans parts not to mention the stress in your hand if you are riding in tight woods and have to shift alot.If shifting without clutch is so bad do you think the trans and or clutches would hold up in a tight wooded 2 hour gncc or harescrambles race.I don't think so,but this is one of those many debatable questions all of us have,so do what you wish and have a blast riding.
P.S. those who were wondering how you start without a clutch obviously haven't driven an old car with a stickshift.You just give it gas and hit the starter button while it is in gear.

JOEX
02-17-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
iv'e hear dmore bad things from magura customers that warrented me not to get one....I'll stick with a cable instead of bleeding a $200 clutch :eek2:
I have only heard of one that had an issue and Magura came through for the customer. Can you say what the others had problems with?

Doesn't the assembly come ready to bolt on, no bleeding neccessary?

Joe

dnj400ex
02-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Magura clutch is great. I haven't had to give it a second thought since instalation. Also, my 400 won't start unless it is in neutral. I assume this is a safety feature. How do I get rid of this?

K_Fulk
02-17-2004, 09:37 PM
There is a little black box with a clicker on your stock perch. Take the 2 wires out of it and hook them together then you can start in gear.

02-17-2004, 09:52 PM

Doesn't the assembly come ready to bolt on, no bleeding neccessary?

Joe true...but once a bubble gets in there it takes hell to get it out...i'd rather not have to deal with any of that & save my $200....anyways, im sure you know more about this than me b/c I have never actually seen one or ridden with one & im just a kid & dont have $200 to spend on a system when I can keep spnding $12 for now every few months ;)

JOEX
02-18-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
true...but once a bubble gets in there it takes hell to get it out...i'd rather not have to deal with any of that & save my $200....anyways, im sure you know more about this than me b/c I have never actually seen one or ridden with one & im just a kid & dont have $200 to spend on a system when I can keep spnding $12 for now every few months ;)
I know what you mean about spending that much money for a clutch. I've never used one or seen one either but I hear they are worth it. I hope to get on someday but there are more important things higher up on the list unless a good deal comes up.

How would a bubble get in there if it is not opened? Why is it so difficult to bleed? I just put new brake lines on the front and rear and only took about 15 minutes to bleed each set. My first time too:)

Joe

02-18-2004, 05:21 AM
i heard it's different with these clutches b/c the smallest bubble can be in the line & it will make it perform very bad. It is also very difficult to get out all the bubbles too without their kit which means more $$$ to spend....anyone wanna express their opinion too that has one feel free? im open

bigredfan
02-18-2004, 04:43 PM
hey dnj400ex these are the same 2 wires you must connect together if you remove parking and install blockoff and new perch and lever.If you are having trouble finding a perch and lever any of the CR perches and levers will work.

cals400ex
02-18-2004, 07:18 PM
i was told that with the rtc lever and new cable, it would make the bike shift just as good if not better than the hydraulic clutches. i don't have any experience with either though.

dnj400ex
02-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info.

dnj400ex
02-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey bigredfan or K_Fulk, Is one of these wires green and one green and yellow. These wires are just hanging out right now but they are where the stock perch used to be.
Thanks

K_Fulk
02-18-2004, 08:26 PM
I forget what color they are(been awhile since i have done it) but more than likely they are the right ones.

If you put them together and it starts in gear they are the right ones.

chrisp333
02-19-2004, 03:56 PM
its not that big of a deal just dont let it go forever it happened to me the same way but i didnt have a problem except that i was in 4th gear when it happened and was almost impossible to start but when i did it was a ok.