PDA

View Full Version : Reliability Concerns

hsr
02-16-2004, 07:49 PM
The YFZ is growing on me more and more everyday. I'm a die hard Honda guy and i think it would be fair to say that yamaha might have a slight edge over the new TRX in the MX department. I realize that every first year machine is going to have problems...I know that some of the YFZ's have had issues w/ the water seals going out, and there have been a few cases of bent front a-arms, and short lived batteries. This seems to be about the only thing holding me back from wanting the new Yamaha. I don't want to sound biased or anything but i think alot of you could agree w/ me in saying that it's hard to beat a Honda when it comes to reliability. If I lay $6,000 + on a new quad I want it to be able to hold up to some serious abuse in relatively stock form. I just like the way the Yamaha's geometry is set up so much more than the Honda, a much lower and wider stance, and a super beefy swingarm. Just a few thoughts.

Maxx_Action
02-16-2004, 08:02 PM
HSR...

I have been talking to YFZ guys ever since I got mine last September. The battery issue seems to only be present in very few instances, and only when people ride A LOT and never run the lights. I run my lights always when I ride, and have never had ANY issues with battery whatsoever. The only issues I have heard with bent or brokwn frame parts are when A. People are doing super cross style 120 ft triples at 60 mph, or B. When people case the hell outta jumps. I think the same thing could be said of any quad in history on factory components. I love my YFZ. It has been very dependable, and runs like no 4 stroke I have ever seen. I think Yamaha has caught Honda (easy Honda guys) in the quality department, if there ever really was that much of a desparity. I would not shy away for the reasons you mentioned, I don't think they will be an issue. just my .02...

Maxx

hsr
02-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Sounds cool , thanks for the input

trueblue450
02-17-2004, 09:17 AM
my only problem so far is the chain roller...... you gotta buy a relocater.. i never run with my lights on and have never had a battery problem. Some people blow things ut of proportion.

CTmxyfz
02-17-2004, 09:29 AM
I have had no one problem with my yfz for the start. Great arse quad. Im going to make dad buy one for himself.

hsr
02-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Have any of you guys experienced problems with the water pump seals going out? I have heard of this happening to a few other people before.

CTmxyfz
02-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Nope. Those very only on a few. They are a very well made quad IMO.

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-17-2004, 10:35 AM
i havent ran into any problems with my yfz yet. even sitting in the ice cold garage it always fires right up for me, and its never leaked any fluid. its been a great quad so far and i feel it will continue to do so.

Wingnut
02-17-2004, 10:47 AM
I've had a clutch lever fray, the battery died (always ran headlights), paint comes off very easy, bent the stock axle, and some bolts weren't tightened very well from the factory. Nothing major.

opiate101
02-17-2004, 11:17 AM
I have 2 YFZs. One of them is like the community bike, everyone that comes to my shop rides it. We have a test track right at the shop with jumps, and whoops, and it gets pounded hard( you know how people treat things that they didn't pay for :) and I have not had 1 problem with either of them, aside from POOR jetting from the factory, but every one changes that anyway. It's too early to say which is better, but you WONT go wrong with the YFZ, that i can say.

Baley69
02-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Why did you have to relocate your chain?

hsr
02-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Baley69
Why did you have to relocate your chain? I've heard that the positioning of the stock chain roller is being eaten up by the chain...correct me if i'm wrong?

Pappy
02-17-2004, 05:18 PM
correct. the stock location eats rollers

Splatter Matter
02-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by hsr
I've heard that the positioning of the stock chain roller is being eaten up by the chain...correct me if i'm wrong?

on very hard landings the chain will hit. u will wear two deep groves in the roller. i made a relocator that puts the roller up 1" from stock. now the chain just glides on the roller
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/peb883095c5d21f81a4bd4f889b78fc5f/f98f807f.jpg

Baley69
02-18-2004, 03:34 AM
Hmm where could I get one of those relocators?

465Stroker
02-18-2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
correct. the stock location eats rollers

The stock chain roller location is only a problem if you use an aftermarket rear shock that has a large amount of sag in them such as Axis, PEP, Elka, etc. If you are running a stock shock you should be just fine as-is..

Rick

CTmxyfz
02-18-2004, 07:10 AM
Believe it or not my chain roller is in pretty good condition and i have landed hard after some 60foot tables. THe shock is too stiff so that could play a part anyway.

oynot400
02-19-2004, 07:42 PM
I have been missing a quad ever since I sold mine. Dam I miss my ol' Honda. :( Don't get me wrong, I like my KTM, but I do miss a quad for the times I can't ride the bike. I think for my Oklahoma and other trips I will want a quad again.
I just can't make up my mine on the 450r or the YZF? I am not out to start a post war. I just want the best quad for me. I have seen a few Yamaha's run, all I can say is WOW!!!!:eek2: My dealer let me test ride a new YZF, it definetly is choked down. From what I hear a new pipe will take care of.
I just want to ride both the Honda and Yamaha back to back. I also what to really ride them, not a 1st or 2nd gear ride in the parking lot.
I did get to see the new 450r at the races last week. I like the looks of it up close, but I did not get to throw a leg over it.
I guess time will tell, I can't say I want the Yamaha until I ride the Honda.
Man my life is tough! :devil:

Woody_YFZ
02-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by trueblue450
my only problem so far is the chain roller...... you gotta buy a relocater.. i never run with my lights on and have never had a battery problem. Some people blow things ut of proportion.

That has been exactly my experience. I think half of what you hear is just rumors blown out or proportion. I did have to put a roller relocater, but nothing else.

trueblue450
02-20-2004, 04:10 PM
stock you should be fine without a relocator, but if you set your preload down thats when I ate the rollers up. But its worth the locator for the extra sag you get. They only cost like 25$$$

Hammer trx450r
02-20-2004, 10:26 PM
i've been raceing yamaha for 15 yrs. every one was reliable. but i bought a trx 450r. Just when i come over to the other side yamaha finaly put that motor in a quad.

RIDER11X
02-21-2004, 12:58 AM
Crazy Honda got his YFZ450, and I give him alot of ribbing about that Yamaha, but all in all, Yamaha was definitly on the right track with this one. I am as died in the wool Honda guy as they come and I really have taken a liking to the YFZ. For pure race quad, I think that is the machine to have.....hands down. My 400ex is well suited for me with the softer seat for long trail rides, but the YFZ is a fast and great handling quad. I also like how stable it is with it's longer wheelbase. Less lofty on hills and under power.

Woody_YFZ
02-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 465Stroker
The stock chain roller location is only a problem if you use an aftermarket rear shock that has a large amount of sag in them such as Axis, PEP, Elka, etc. If you are running a stock shock you should be just fine as-is..

Rick

I have stock suspension and my roller was gone within 3 months. It was shortly after I set my sag though.

RIDER11X
02-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Crazy Honda got his YFZ450, and I give him alot of ribbing about that Yamaha, but all in all, Yamaha was definitly on the right track with this one. I am as died in the wool Honda guy as they come and I really have taken a liking to the YFZ. For pure race quad, I think that is the machine to have.....hands down. My 400ex is well suited for me with the softer seat for long trail rides, but the YFZ is a fast and great handling quad. I also like how stable it is with it's longer wheelbase. Less lofty on hills and under power.

The ergos do have some to be desired though........ a liitle cramped.:(

How often do the YZF bikes got top end rebuilds? I've heard once per race season.:confused:

seatec
02-26-2004, 11:29 AM
True, the YFZ is a little cramped for us taller dudes. (6'2" and up) but can be remedied.

RG #43
02-26-2004, 12:27 PM
I have been racing my yfz since Sept, the only prob I have had is the battery, but I am in Canada and -30 is the norm. I installed the kickstart-prob solved. I kept the elec start and it works good when warm,just not on initial start up when cold. You can get the reloctor from *Rath Racing* (http://www.rathracing.com) for $15, its a small investment in preventative failure.

I am very happy with it so far and I have alot of time on it prob free. I saw the 450r the other day and it is alot nicer in person. I think that either quad will be a good choice. It really comes down to prefference. I am not brand loyal in the least, I choose fast and efficient regardless of what emblem it wears. I think I would be happy on either one.

How often do the YZF bikes got top end rebuilds? I've heard once per race season.

Most guys trade em off in a year or two, but rebuilding every year is a year to early here. the 450 anyways, I think one particular year of 250f was more prone to top end rebuilds but im not 100% on that one.
I think it really comes down to maitenance and type/amount of use. If you race/ride it hard,it will likely need something in two years. IMO most quads need a real going over at that point anyways: swingarm bearings,a arm bearings, rod, piston etc.
If your machine is a high hp race horse in a race type enviroment you need to replace things. If maitenance is not your thing, buy a 400ex or trade up every year. If you are a causual weekend warrior it will probly last 4-5 years no prob. Time will tell

400EXrider#91
02-26-2004, 01:53 PM
i love my YFZ450....its just the only place i can ride it is my small mx track or Rausch Creek