PDA

View Full Version : 416 kit

GoingBig
02-28-2002, 08:16 PM
Ive been looking into getting a 416 kit for my 2001 EX. Question is will i have to change anything with my clutch, rockers or valves. Will the stock parts hold up to the kit. Well any info wil be much appreciated. thanks

VegasEx'r
02-28-2002, 10:29 PM
If you're just getting a piston then you don't need to worry about changing anything else. Most people however, change the cam when they put in a new piston, and depending on what cam you put in, you might have to hard-face the rockers. There are a lot of "drop-in" cams that don't require hard faced rockers. The popular ones around here are made by Sparks, TC Racing, GT Thunder, or you could get an xr400 or HRC cam. All are good choices, and the whole process is pretty easy.

ChadEXer
03-01-2002, 08:00 AM
Your stock clutch will be fine also. I didnt run the 416 long before I wanted bigger but I have a friend that has had a 416 a long time and he didnt have a problem. Wait yes he did. Here a couple of days ago his stock clutch basket exploded in his motor(costin a bit to fix) But when I talked to the engine builders most say its not really necessary for an aftermarket basket that they have guys with 500EX's that use the stock basket and have no problem. I will definately be changing mine just to be safe. Terry Marcum sells a Vortex basket that he says is even better than a Hinson basket for $160 on your door. Thats what I am ordering!! But again with just a 416 its not REALLY necessary