PDA

View Full Version : motor not pulling to redline

Todd
02-28-2002, 07:49 PM
I put a k&n filter & stage 2 jet kit (no air box lid k&n jet #dj 128 needle in groove 5. I also have a fmf power core 4 sa exhaust nothing else is done when i get off the gas in the upper gears it pops a little but not bad the pipe is still silver/lite gold color. So my question is why does it seem to quit pulling before the limiter hits could i still be lean?

thanx todd

VegasEx'r
02-28-2002, 10:36 PM
Your main jet is a 128? If that is the case, then I would guess you are lean. The pop you hear when you get off the gas is probably a lean pop, so that further points to a lean condition. Unless you are at a really high elevation, I would think that a 128mj is too small. As far as not hitting the revlimiter in the higher gears, I would say that is normal. I don't recall ever hitting the rev limiter in 4th or 5th. Somebody jump in & correct me if I am wrong.

03-01-2002, 06:59 AM
Yeah your a little lean I'd say,,,and as for the rev limiter,,I never hit the limiter either in high gears..but I never get in 5th gear to often either,,I have once this year got it in 5th gear for about 2 seconds..:(

Scott
03-01-2002, 07:07 AM
Whoa, a 128 main, are you talking about a 300ex? That's a step up for a 300 (122 stock I was thinking). If it is a 300, you could try a 130, but I wouldn't think you'd need it. If you think you're lean, put the airbox lid back on and try that once. If it gets better, you're probably right, it may be a little lean.

Here's what I've done to my 300 as comparison. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just giving you an example.
K&N filter with outerwear
Stock airbox and lid, no extra holes
DG head pipe and a 4" supertrapp running 10 discs.
125 main
factory pilot, factory needle setting.

Todd
03-01-2002, 08:54 AM
I am sorry i forgot to mention that its a 2000 300 ex . I have had the airbox lid on and it dosent seem to run as good and when i wheelie with the lid on when bumping the gas it stumbles pretty bad, almost like its flooding. Dont get me wrong the thing runs good my buddy has an '02 warrior with the same accessories as mine and around our oval track we are dead even who ever gets to the corner first usually leads unless a miscalculation of the corner is made, matter of fact it gripes his butt so bad he is gearing his to try to get the upper hand.
So back to the subject the 300's dont really have rev limiters like my street bike?and maybe i should try a 130 main. I really appreciate the input guys. Thanx Todd

DEAL
03-01-2002, 08:58 AM
The Dynojet kit comes with a shorter needle which makes up for the small main jet.

Scott
03-01-2002, 09:08 AM
Have you checked your plug? That would be the first step. You mention you thought it was lean on the top end, but you think it's flooding it with the airbox lid on. See what color your plug is and eliminate the guessing.

Run it around the yard once with out the outerwear. If it clears itself up, clean the outerwear and filter. I'm not saying that to make you sound like an idiot, my outerwear was still red and didn't look bad, but apparently it had enough dust to start restricting airflow. Pulled it off, test ride, everything was fine. Got home, cleaned everything up, back in business.