PDA

View Full Version : R problem.........please help

David28
02-16-2004, 01:31 PM
I brought my '84 250r into the shop the other day to warm up. It had been sitting outside in the cold for awhile. After kicking it over forever i pulled the plug....It has awesome blue spark and the plug looks kind of wett every time that i pull it....Any Ideas on why it isnt firing...I thought that if it is getting gas and it has good spark it should fire???.......

Thanks

David

David28
02-16-2004, 02:54 PM
comeon guys any ideas???..........I was thinking it might have something to do with the reeds???.....but i dont know that much about them

wilkin250r
02-16-2004, 04:23 PM
There are many reasons an engine won't start. Reeds could be one issue, resulting in little or no crankcase compression. Bad spark, but you've already ruled that out. Poor compression could be the culprit, which itself can be caused my many things such as worn out piston rings, blown head gasket, scrapes or gouges in the cylinder wall. It could be a carburetor problem.

You have two directions you can go with repairs. Either pay to have a professional check it out from top to bottom, or get a manual and go through the process yourself.

David28
02-16-2004, 04:31 PM
I just did a compression test.....I got about 160 psi.......is this normal.. i cant seem to find my shop manual

wilkin250r
02-16-2004, 05:23 PM
160psi is good. Anything over 120 is good.

Start with the easy things, and them move on to the more difficult things. You've got good spark, and good compression. Get a new spark plug, just because they are cheap. Make sure you're getting gas. Maybe spray a quick shot of starting fluid into the cylinder when you change the spark plug, and try to fire it up.

If that doesn't work, take your reeds out and visually inspect them for damage, or the possibility that they are stuck open. If all that fails, the next step is to take your carburetor apart and clean it.

David28
02-16-2004, 09:46 PM
thanks for the help......i found out that in the end i just had bad gas