PDA

View Full Version : ticking

loganB
02-16-2004, 11:49 AM
My 440ex it ticking I thinck it is the timing chain it still runs and has power in low end and then it starts to cut out what is my problum besides my spelling?:confused:

cals400ex
02-16-2004, 12:12 PM
yes, spelling is the first issue. issue # 2: your incomplete sentences. :eek2: just kidding.

does it sound like valves ticking? it is possible that your timing chain is stretched or your timing chain tensioner is faulty. your valves could be set at an incorrect settings also. it could even be possible that your rod needs to be replaced. are you positive you didn't mess up the timing when you installed the kit?

stuntnda400
02-16-2004, 05:41 PM
i just pulled my ex motor apart and finally got it back together and it did the same thing...it would tick real bad and had a loss of power and all it was was one of the exhaust valves needed to be adjusted because it was too loose...give that a check and hopefully thats it...

Raptor4439
02-17-2004, 09:26 AM
I don't want to steal your topic here dude but I have ticking noises comming from my 440 too. Could it be my cam chain tensioner(sp?)? when I reassembled the motor I just stuck it in there and tightened the bolts.

cheetah
02-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Raptor4439
I don't want to steal your topic here dude but I have ticking noises comming from my 440 too. Could it be my cam chain tensioner(sp?)? when I reassembled the motor I just stuck it in there and tightened the bolts.

That's all you should have to do. Any time you hear a tick, valve clearances should be the first thing to check. Then go from there check the timing chain.

cals400ex
02-17-2004, 12:09 PM
a faulty tensioner may not be putting the pressure on the chain that it is suppose to have. my friends bike ticks pretty bad and we can't get it figured out. i took the bike apart and checked the tensioner and it sticks just a little bit. i think we will probally swap my tensioner in his bike to see if that stops the noise. if that stops the noise, he will have to get a new one. however, they aren't cheap. i think they are around $45 and probally more at a dealership.

pairanutz
02-18-2004, 01:00 AM
mine was doing that too -right before the tensioner broke and the valves smacked the piston-if your is bad -they make a manual cam chain tensioner that has a bolt with lock nut instead of the stock spring loaded part -works so far its been about a year

foleyit
02-18-2004, 08:27 AM
I've found that the ticking either came from an exhaust leak somewhere or it we're the valves. Take a long screwdriver and place the handle near your ear, check each valve cover while the engine is running. If needed, you will know what valve will need adjustment.