PDA

View Full Version : Air box vents?

02-28-2002, 05:36 PM
I was looking in the Dennis Kirk magazine, and saw those little round airbox vents. I was thinkng about putting these on my filter. Will i have to rejet or anything if I do this? Will this help at all??
Thanks a lot
Jon

Todd
02-28-2002, 08:46 PM
i am no wrench head but i would say yes to rejettig a buddy of mine has an '02 warrior with a slip on ,k&nfilter and stage 2 jet kit with 12 of those little air box filters they seem to work pretty good . i would also check those outerwears air box covers

dads400ex
02-28-2002, 09:03 PM
I put the uni vents that you saw in my air box and I have ended up taking the foam filters out and just leaving the grates in because I oiled mine the first time after installing them and I think they plugged up so I cleaned them out and put them in dry and they still were competely covered with dirt so that I think they were restricting air flow to the point of making my quad run rich although I have not been able to run since I left the filters out I think it will help plus with the grates left in it will keep the large chuncks of dirt from getting into the air box itself.

Just my thoughts on them,
dads400ex

"BLAHH"300!!
02-28-2002, 09:19 PM
....four 1 inch holes in my lid....i did rejett but that was for the pipe and filter pretty much.....
....freind of mine put 6 k&n inserts on his 400ex and put a cobra exhaust on it....didn't rejet for either and still runs like a top.....when he put in the inserts he didn't use his head and put 2 on top and 2 on each side...needless to say first drop of water he found ruined the day.....if you get em' put em' on top.(if you didn't already know)....that airbox is history now though, got him a new one last weekend

i'd say your best bet would be..take out that k&n filter get you a uni and cut a few holes in your lid and use an outerwear's prefilter....

i don't use a prefilter.and i have never had carb troubles...but you might, so just be safe.....mine doesn;t seem to run good without the lid on..but is strong like it is.....

later....

03-01-2002, 10:36 AM
With the more air you'll be taking in, you will want to rejet. I went from a 160 to 165 after installing them on my airbox. I also have a k&n, pipe, xrcam, and je10.8:1. I haven't had any problem with my plugging. I really like mine, and they are easy to install with a one inch hole saw.

Quadfather
03-01-2002, 03:50 PM
You can buy a bag of 1" soffit vents at Home Depot for $6. They work great.

stevengates45
03-01-2002, 07:22 PM
I say just run open air box

Kadafiy
03-01-2002, 08:21 PM
Are there any reliability issues with moding the airbox, because I live in Ohio and see all kinds of different conditions. Muddy now but in the summer it gets pretty dusty.

03-01-2002, 09:55 PM
run a uni airfilter, and outerwears, k@n can clog in dust, and foam can clogg in sand, if u take ur lid off, run an outerwaers lid.