PDA

View Full Version : 440 vs. 250r?

435exr
02-15-2004, 10:14 PM
hey ive got a 440 w/stage2 cam, slip on ehxaust and i was wondering if any of u know if ill be able to beat my buddies 250r
or even a raptor or stock banshee.

AndrewRRR
02-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by 435exr
hey ive got a 440 w/stage2 cam, slip on ehxaust and i was wondering if any of u know if ill be able to beat my buddies 250r
or even a raptor or stock banshee.

What's done to it (the R)?
Probably not a stock banshee (even though it's rare around here to see a banshee with stock pipes).
Just race your buddy and find out.

beak7707
02-16-2004, 06:55 AM
If the R is stock you should beat it. The raptor and banshee will be close.

PA440exRider
02-25-2004, 10:58 AM
u should deffintly be able to beat the 250r. My cusin had a stock 400ex and they were dead on. But i dont know the new 250r. Those could probly kill a 440ex.

markk
02-25-2004, 11:39 AM
how long are u gona be drag racing, i think that the r will beat u on top end, depending on how his gearing is set up, but iv seen a 440 with lrd pipe, rev box, hotcams stage two hang really close to a 265r with a few mods lol! ( no that r is pretty tricked out)

Quadzilla
02-25-2004, 03:00 PM
I can tell you this much. When I had just a piped and jetted 400EX and would race my buddy's 100% stock Banshee, this is what would happen every race.

1: Take off at the same time, I would get a 1-2 quad length jump on him (while he was feathering the clutch trying to hook up). He is a very good rider, but the Sheeee has trouble hooking up off the line.

2: We would stay like that 1st - 4th gear (him behind me by 1-2 quad lengths).

3: In fifth gear he would start gaining on me and by the time 5th was wound out on my quad, he would walk right past me (by then he had clicked 6th).

We raced like this several times on different terrain and different days, etc. The results were almost always the same. Now he has a Raptor and smokes my piped and jetted 400. Not for long though I hope. My motor should be coming back from the builder any day now.....

AndrewRRR
02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
I can tell you this much. When I had just a piped and jetted 400EX and would race my buddy's 100% stock Banshee, this is what would happen every race.

1: Take off at the same time, I would get a 1-2 quad length jump on him (while he was feathering the clutch trying to hook up). He is a very good rider, but the Sheeee has trouble hooking up off the line.

2: We would stay like that 1st - 4th gear (him behind me by 1-2 quad lengths).

3: In fifth gear he would start gaining on me and by the time 5th was wound out on my quad, he would walk right past me (by then he had clicked 6th).

We raced like this several times on different terrain and different days, etc. The results were almost always the same. Now he has a Raptor and smokes my piped and jetted 400. Not for long though I hope. My motor should be coming back from the builder any day now.....

Are you sure he was a good rider? lol
Even with a pipe and jet kit on your EX his stock shee should still have a 10hp advantage (shees are about 40hp stock) unless his motor is getting tired and has no compression. 10hp on a 400lb machine is a BIG advantage. Even if you can't hook up on a shee you usually get traction by 3rd gear.

Greg Z
02-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
Are you sure he was a good rider? lol
Even with a pipe and jet kit on your EX his stock shee should still have a 10hp advantage (shees are about 40hp stock) unless his motor is getting tired and has no compression. 10hp on a 400lb machine is a BIG advantage. Even if you can't hook up on a shee you usually get traction by 3rd gear. 40 hp stock? maybe at the crank... but at the RWHP its 33 ;)

sparks400
02-26-2004, 02:23 PM
with my ex my front tire is at the raptors nerfbar or at the rear tire

wilkin250r
02-26-2004, 03:55 PM
The 400EX/banshee race must have been on loose gravel. On pavement or sand, he should have owned you.

A properly built 440EX should run circles around a 250r, even if the 250r has a pipe, as long as it doesn't have any other motor mods.

By "properly built" I mean a high compression piston (true compression, not just advertised compression), cam, carb, and headwork.

BIGRED400
02-26-2004, 04:00 PM
I run my neighbor from a roll and beat him by 3-4 quads.......can't do nothing from a start....front end comes over on me....this was a drag up to 500 feet...........after that Banshee walks away

wildfire1206
02-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by PA440exRider
u should deffintly be able to beat the 250r. My cusin had a stock 400ex and they were dead on. But i dont know the new 250r. Those could probly kill a 440ex.

do you mean Service Honda's 250R or are you talking about the 450R?It all depends on what is done to the R,if its got good porting and other engine mods,it should beat the 440

Andre

Bean
02-26-2004, 09:50 PM
if the R has a nice race pipe, airfilter, and maybe reeds, it will probably beat, or keep even up, with a decent 440, i had both, and that 440 was built hardcore, and my R would have torn it a new ******* the size of a semi to back into, but thats my view

NEPA250R
02-27-2004, 10:09 AM
I have a 2001 440ex with White Brothers full exhaust, CDI, cam, valves/springs, K&N, and no lid the on airbox. I also have a bone stock 1987 250R that has 1 more bore on the cylinder so I'm not sure exactly how many CC's it is. My 440ex will definately get a good jump on the 250r off the line, but when the 440ex is topped out in fifth gear, it seems that the 250r will come really close because of the sixth gear. Also, both quads have stock gearing. On my 250R, I have been dead even through the first five gears with a 400ex with a Curtis Sparks pipe, K&N, and different gearing, and then once I shift to 6th gear I pull away. Take it for what it's worth.

wilkin250r
02-27-2004, 10:26 AM
There are many different factors. My stock motor in my 250r will barely beat my girlfriend's 400EX on an asphalt drag to top speed. However, if it is an uphill sand drag, the very same 250r can run circles around that very same 400EX.

We're not talking suspension or rider ability, the situations are extremely similar. They are both simple drag races to top speed, the start is pretty informal, so it's not like one person gets a better jump off the line, but they are radically different results because of the terrain.

Basically, my entire point is, if my girlfriend had a 440 on the asphalt drag, she would own me. However, in the sand it might be a different story. And I'm not truly comparing apples and oranges, we aren't trying to compare asphalt drags and mudboggin, we are still comparing drag races. All of this "who would beat who" has more factors than displacement.

BIGRED400
02-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Mod's are everything.........hope to see y'all at the GNCC at Palatka, Fla. (The Hurricane)I'll be at trackside cheering y'all on due to back problem's................
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2, February 29 & March 2
ATV practice Feb 28. Bike practice March 1
Dunlop Hurricane GNCC
What was a promising new edition to the GNCC tour last year ended up in a wash: heavy, heavy rains all week basically drowned last year's season opener.

We hope for better conditions this year, and if we get them, riders will be treated to a great mix of trail. This facility is so big that GNCC Trail Boss Jeff Russell can build two separate loops of trail for bikes and ATVs, so the course will hold up well, even with a practice schedule thrown in.

Since many riders in the Northern U.S. have a tough time finding time to ride in the winter, we usually offer practice at this round. Use the time to dial in your machine to the rough course. But take it easy! Blisters are usually a problem on rough tracks like this, so don’t ruin your hands before the race even begins

There’s no motocross track in Palatka, but the sandy soil will get whooped out enough to resemble one.

Last Year's Winners: ATVs: Brandon Ballance Bike: Barry Hawk

Where to stay: Best Western Inn of Palatka (888) 325-7801

Directions: From Hwy. 17 and 19 in Palatka, Florida, take Hwy. 19 South 11.1 miles to Putman County 310 West (1 mile)

TRX310R Rider
02-27-2004, 02:48 PM
It still comes down to the rider...I say someone can be riding a completely stock 400ex and beat a stock Banshee if they know that their doing. When it comes down to it, if your both about the same with power, torque and everything, the best rider is always going to win. I know it's not really about that but if your on your 440 and your a decent rider you will probably be beating quite a few people. I really don't ride anywhere but the dunes...mostly Dumont and I always see these guys who have more money than they should. They come up with their nice 440's or something all tricked out and get smoked by people who actually know how to ride. So, I say it's mostly rider unless your on a bike that can just kill anything in it's path but that's just my opinion...Later

wilkin250r
02-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by TRX310R Rider
It still comes down to the rider...I say someone can be riding a completely stock 400ex and beat a stock Banshee if they know that their doing.

Would you still say that if it was a 1/4 mile uphill sand drag?

JD400exrider
02-27-2004, 03:56 PM
I aggree with you Wilkin250R

I was feeling pretty good with my 416 ex drag racing my buddies 493 ex when we drag raced on loose gravel. Very close a couple times. When we dragged raced in the sand. He Owned Me. There was really no chance dragging up the mountain. Sand seems to be the tell all story. :cool:

TRX310R Rider
02-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I still that...all I ride is dunes and we have a 410R pretty much a hillshooter so I've seen it happen. If someone doesn't know what their doing than their going to lose even if they have one of the nicest bikes around. Say if two people had 440's set up exactly the same...even in uphill sand drag the better rider is going to win, but that's just my opinion...Later

JD400exrider
02-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by TRX310R Rider
Say if two people had 440's set up exactly the same...even in uphill sand drag the better rider is going to win, but that's just my opinion...Later

Two set up exactly the same....The better rider will win. Thats a given

TRX310R Rider
02-27-2004, 10:58 PM
That's what I am trying to say but still either which way, on any bikes whatever rider is better is going to win...Later

AndrewRRR
02-29-2004, 12:43 AM
So what y'all are saying is 2 bikes... set up exactly the same... and the better rider will win?
Well now that just don't make sense :rolleyes:
lol

TRX310R Rider
02-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Ok, mr funny guy I am trying to prove about since half the people on here are trying to say that pretty much no matter what a 440 is going to beat an R. I'm not sitting here trying to start crap or say that an R is going to beat that 440 for sure I am saying way over half the time it comes down to rider and that's all I am saying...Later

AndrewRRR
02-29-2004, 01:32 PM
I was referring to JD's post, but ok.

JD400exrider
02-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Andrew I was quoting trx310 if you could see that. Not rocket science :rolleyes:

AndrewRRR
02-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Apparently not all of us have gotten the concept of sarcasm yet, lets drop it.

So did the guy who started this thread race the R yet, or is he MIA?

garysol1
03-03-2004, 10:18 PM
ROTFL.....lOl.......Snort...Snort.....AAAAAAAHHHHA AAAAAHHHHHAAAAAA

Originally posted by Quadzilla
Not for long though I hope. My motor should be coming back from the builder any day now.....

Quadzilla
03-03-2004, 10:42 PM
h0m0 :-)

435exr
03-19-2004, 12:27 AM
i havent been able to race my buddy. im having problems with my
jetting? any help will be appreciated. i have a 165 main and my
quad is pinging bad under load.

wilkin250r
03-19-2004, 09:14 AM
i havent been able to race my buddy. im having problems with my
jetting? any help will be appreciated. i have a 165 main and my
quad is pinging bad under load.

Pinging? What octane are you running?

brandonpeake
03-19-2004, 09:30 AM

i got to call BS on this one, either that banshee has the rings upside down in it, he either cant ride or its BS there is no way a 400ex in a drag on the road will keep up with a banshee or raptor for that matter! its just bull*****m, sorry but ive had all 3 had the raptor and it wont keep up with the banshee either, icould out run a 400ex in 4th gear easy!
just not happening, i get tired of people posting nonsense like the other day some guy said his 450r woas 10 quad lengths on a raptor not happening unless the rap[otr guyt could not ride at all, i just hate this nonsense, im not flaming on you its just not true!

BIGRED400
03-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
i got to call BS on this one, either that banshee has the rings upside down in it, he either cant ride or its BS there is no way a 400ex in a drag on the road will keep up with a banshee or raptor for that matter! its just bull*****m, sorry but ive had all 3 had the raptor and it wont keep up with the banshee either, icould out run a 400ex in 4th gear easy!
just not happening, i get tired of people posting nonsense like the other day some guy said his 450r woas 10 quad lengths on a raptor not happening unless the rap[otr guyt could not ride at all, i just hate this nonsense, im not flaming on you its just not true!

Sad but true just last weekend I handed a Raptor his a** in a drag, he could'nt believe it, neighbor has a Piped Banshee did the same with him, this is in a 300-500 ft. drag after that both will walk me down, but otherwise it has been done, 416 JE 11:1 coated w/
http://www.swaintech.com/4whl.html
,HC stage 2, K&N, 42 pilot, 170 main,E-series w/18 discs runnin 50/50...93/100 octane, this was done at "THE COMPOUND" in Palm Bay ,Fla. last Sunday..........put a few smiles on the sidelines to see a lil 400 do this:huh :eek2: :D.there was aboy who had a Banshee on alky that had 117HP at rear wheels....that was BAD TO THE BONE but in a whole nother league, I'm a lil dog you should see a LRD 460 run and you would have a better angle on the 400's

wilkin250r
03-19-2004, 11:32 PM
The 400EX vs. Raptor scenario is where rider ability can really come into play. Yeah, the Raptor has more power, but it has a short wheelbase and it can be tricky to keep that front end down. If you've got somebody good on the 400EX, and the person on the Raptor lifts the front wheels off the line, he will have to let off the throttle to get the front wheels back down. It's entirely possible that the 400EX can jump a few lengths ahead right off the line, and it may take a few hundred feet for the Raptor to catch up.

BIGRED400
03-20-2004, 03:40 AM
This race was done from a roll in 2nd gear,I have the same problem with my front end, granted the 400 ex is not the best race quad but when a motor is modded right and then dialed in it is such a big improvement over stock that most people don't believe it unless you let them ride it.My point is,, it is definatly not the fastest thing out there but can hold it's own against a few of them:)

tglandon
03-20-2004, 11:42 PM
I have a 03 stock 400 ex and a 01 Raptor with my brother having a 89 250r... the Rap having a procuit T4 slip on and all stock... With the 250r being piped, polished, KN filter, w/high comp piston and bore job... I did about 15 sand drags at Florence OR against the 250R vs Raptor... the 250r and the Raptor were close, 3rd gear on neither would pull the other, but I had trouble keeping the front down on my Raptor. The 400 ex being stock is not in the same class as the 250r or the Raptor... But I have recently put 02 tranny in the Raptor with stage 1 hotcam and KN filter. I can't wait to try the 250R AGAIN!!! Plus I am going to have to do something to the 400EX to keep up. Any ideas for the 400????

435exr
03-23-2004, 10:56 PM
im running 100 octane and the plug was white and sort of melted after riding it hard

garysol1
03-24-2004, 05:33 AM
Very lean fuel mixture.......
Jet it up before your next ride.

im running 100 octane and the plug was white and sort of melted after riding it hard

435exr
03-30-2004, 12:53 AM
what size jet sould i run?