PDA

View Full Version : stupid question, tail light plug

quadrcr161
02-15-2004, 09:05 PM
ok, to you that have already removed your tail light, where the hell is the plug?? i have traced it back to under the tank and it is still wired in. i have the brake light switch removed but cannot find the one for the tail light. thanks.

kbass24emtp
02-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Sorry to bring you bad news, but there is no plug. You have to unwrap the entire harness up to the steering stem. I did this and it was a big pain in the butt!!!!!!. Also there are a few places where there are wires spliced together, and they have a rubber type wrap around them. Just make sure you have a new roll of electrical tape and use the good stuff. Also to remove the switch on the front break leveryou have to remove a plug under the front hood. Just take you time, and make sure you follow the right wires. Have fun and good luck.

quadrcr161
02-16-2004, 02:17 PM
:huh that a stupid design by honda. everything else has a plug next to it. i have unwrapped it up to the tank and couldnt find anything. i migth just cut the wires and wrap them up and retape the wires back togeather.

kbass24emtp
02-16-2004, 04:12 PM
The wires are spliced into other wires. There is no plug to just unplug it. Just trace them forward and look for the brown and white tape. This is where the splices are. Pull apart the tape and rubber stuff and cut the right wire and stick it back together. Make sure you cut the right wire.

JH Racing#16
02-16-2004, 04:51 PM
You can unplug right where it goes into the light. it is a black plug.

quadrcr161
02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
yea but then ill have a big plug back there i have to seal up. this is just going to be a track quad so i will never have any use for it. im gone to get to cutting. :D

Guy400
02-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Why not just seal the end with small plastic baggy and then fold it back and zip-tie it to the subframe? It's simple, it's easy and you don't have to hack into your wiring harness:confused:

quadrcr161
02-16-2004, 07:17 PM
just more to get in the way. it will never be pluged in again. plus this way i can splice it onto my 300ex if i wanted to. i think honda should have thought ahead and put a plug in. sometimes i dont understand the designers ideas. :confused:

4fiddyR
02-16-2004, 08:05 PM
I work at a Honda car dealership, and some of their cars you have to take the front bumper off to replace the headlights.
I think they don't take into the fact that people have to work on these things.

02-16-2004, 09:03 PM
so im guessing these tail lights wont work on a 400ex? :mad:

JOEX
02-16-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm planning on putting a brake light on my 400, already have the switches installed.

Does anyone know if the 450r brakelight can be fitted to the 400ex with or without minor modification? I might be willing to purchase one of them from the 450r.

Joe

quadrcr161
02-17-2004, 07:43 AM
it will work, you just need to splice wires togeather and find out which one is the brake light and which is the running light. if you find someone that removed the switch off the brake pedal you can prob wire that upandh ave working bread lights also. PM me if you want some parts. :D

RobRacing
02-17-2004, 03:43 PM
I just unpluged mine were it connects to the light. Then I e-taped the end of the plug and put the plug in the big compartment were the owners manual and tool kit were at.

Honda
02-17-2004, 04:01 PM
O.K. Find a good spot 6-12 inches from the lamp, Cut the wires, pull back the covering, splice a 2 pin connector into the harness. This will allow you to take the lamp off, or reinstall it for those night rides on Governed land.

Try Radio shack or an elictrical supply house for the connector.

Some electrical skill required.

;)