PDA

View Full Version : any one do any reals test rides with the 450r

KOG
02-15-2004, 04:19 PM
any one do any drag raceing or trail riding j/w no one has realy said any thing bout all this stuff

lukester720
02-15-2004, 04:47 PM
450r_rider and I did some trailriding today. The trails were either ice or mud and the quad did great. The frontend feels perfect not too light like the mags say it didn't come up 1 time that I didn't want it to. Now that I've rode it some more 1st gear is not a problem. The times that I did stall it were mainly caused from being a sucky rider. There was also a little track there and I was able to get through the whoops quickly and the small jumps felt good also. I didn't hit any of the bigger jumps because of the mud and lack of skill. It also pulled the hills great.

4fiddyR
02-15-2004, 04:57 PM
I took mine out for a great ride today. We ran some abandoned railroad tracks, and mines. then did some hill climbs, I realized the front end does like to come up on hill climbs but if you keep on the gas and feather the clutch it's fine. We did a little mx track too, but it was pretty muddy. It jumps nice in my opinion. It was COLD!!!!!!
When we went to wash them off the water was freezing ontop of the mud. We had to get out the pressure washer that had a hot water tank attached to it.

And for anyone wondering, you can kickstart the thing sitting on the seat! (easy)

450r_rider
02-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Finally got some real saddle time. Hit the trails with lukester720 and had an absolute blast. The bike is everything I thought it would be. It handles great in the tight woods, climbs hills and responds well dashing in and out of the trees on the way up. Mine is still in break so lukester720 was nice enough to let me see what I would have in another couple rides. Wide open it handles great and seems just to keep pulling! I also stalled several times in the tight trees at first but by the end of the day was adapting to using the clutch more without stalling. I'm not sure if I want to drop a tooth or not. Luke remind me to ride yours in the woods next time to see if I want to drop a tooth! Can't say anything I dislike about it yet...........

02-15-2004, 06:23 PM
I have ridden mine over 100 miles now with the stock gearing. I use a GPS. I race Hare Scrambles. I haven't raced one yet on the new bike. I went down 1 tooth in the front. I rode it today for the first time like that. For racing through the woods it is definitly what it needs. If you just want to play around with your buddies trail ridding and drag racing leave it alone.

redrider410
02-15-2004, 08:32 PM
So, has anyone really rode theyre new R on a mx track yet, im interested in how much better they like it than a mx based 400ex???

jeepeater347
02-15-2004, 09:45 PM
I took mine down to the river today I raced quite a few modded Z's/KFX's, Banshees, and a YFZ. I had no problem beating any of them

psd1
02-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by jeepeater347
I took mine down to the river today I raced quite a few modded Z's/KFX's, Banshees, and a YFZ. I had no problem beating any of them

Beating them at what???? How about some specifics hoss!

ROGERS
02-16-2004, 06:04 AM
I have drag raced "bone stock to bone stock" with a yfz. The yamaha was faster every time. Not by much at all, but faster nonetheless. No matter though, you will definately be able to outbrake them:D . I swear, the brakes are sooooooooo good. I love it. Hopefully today will be the day for my first MX track test.

p.s. I'm not saying these results are the be-all, end-all of the comparisons. I am sure someone else will say the exact opposite of my informal results.

exrider44
02-16-2004, 02:37 PM
I took mine out yesterday on greenwood lake in NY. The funny thing was I just got on the ice and a dude on a white yfz pulls up next to me with a pipe and studded tires and hits the gas I was just laughing cause I am still breaking my bike in. Then we hit the woods. What fun this bike is. It has so much more power then my 400ex. I like the first gear being tall but it may be alot if you ride tight woods trails. I went up a couple of slick icy hills with no problem at all. Im dying to rip around on the ice track but lemme tell ya. The bike that was pissing on everything on the ice track was an old id say 86 honda three wheeler. The guy was dominating everyone he would take the turns so smooth it was funny to see the other 5 guys on quads trying to keep up. It was a good day! Gotta get some studded tires ca'mon!:devil:

jeepeater347
02-16-2004, 09:33 PM
We were drag racing about 600feet I would get them out of the hole and just keep pulling the YFZ would get the Z's by a couple lengths and I would get the YFZ by a couple lengths. If you were to ask anyone that was down there watching or running what the most impressive quad out there was the would probably all say the 450R

taz1
02-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Exrider 44 i have some ice tires for you!!! I have fastrexxers studed for the front on rims. And ice tires studded on back with rims.I used them last year four 2 races and took 2 first. Studded really good. Let me know $200.00 obo thanks:D

trueblue450
02-17-2004, 11:20 AM
you will never get real great comparisons on drags or racing, its all about the skill who ever is the better rider will win. So its atleast great to hear honda hit a home run with their quad too!

twisted threads
02-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by trueblue450
you will never get real great comparisons on drags or racing, its all about the skill who ever is the better rider will win. So its atleast great to hear honda hit a home run with their quad too!
I agree! I think both these bikes are awsome. I have never got to ride a YFZ yet but I do know the trx450r is SO much fun to ride. I wish I could have one of each but I don't know how my other bikes would like living with a yamaha;) :cool:

redrider410
02-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Yea i love my ex but i think its time to sell her and get the new 450R