PDA

View Full Version : yfz or raptor

KOG
02-15-2004, 04:14 PM
what one do u guys think or know is better at top speed, trails ,and most fun i also heard that u have to fix ur top end every 30 hr on both the new 450s is that true

beak7707
02-15-2004, 04:23 PM
The raptor has a little more top end speed than the 450. But it is ONLY faster on top end, and it takes a while for the raptor to catch the 450 even on top end. If you just want to ride trails id look into a 400ex, z400, 300ex ect.. But out of the 2 just to mess around with on trails id say the raptor since you will have electric start and reverse. But overall the yfz450 is a much better quad, i would never buy a raptor over the new 450's. It has been said however the 450 isbnt too great for trail riding, because of the hard seat, and the snappiness.

beak7707
02-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Also im not sure what you are saying by fix the top end every 30 hours. But if you mean rebuild the motor every 30 hours the answer is NO.

Quad18star
02-15-2004, 04:39 PM
If you are a smaller guy like I am ( 5'8" and 145 lbs ) I'd say go with the 450 . Ive rode my friends Raptor and have tried it out on the track , eventhough I have not tried my 450 on a motocross track in the summer time ( only did an ice race MX style) I can already tell I'm going to like my 450 much more than the Raptor . On the Raptor I didn't feel like I was in control of the bike while jumping it .On my 450 I can throw it around in the air and it is much more predictable . I also enjoy the lower center of gravity because the Raptor tends to want to roll in corners . I'll let you know how I like the 450 in the woods this summer , but overall so far I like my 450 over the Raptor .

KOG
02-15-2004, 04:45 PM
so the raptor is a little faster and u dont have to repair the yfz every 30 hrs then i might hav eit narowed down to just the 450r and the yfz 450

Quad18star
02-15-2004, 04:54 PM
TRX or YFZ ..... It's Now your own choice . Do you like Red and Black , or Blue or Red and White ??? Both quads seem to be holding their own fairly well so far . I haven't tried the TRX yet , but speaking as a YFZ owner , if it handles as well as the Yamaha and has the power like the Yamaha , you'll have a great quad either way you go . Decisions Decisions !!!!! I hate making them , it took me almost 6 months to decide on what I wanted to get . Yamaha was my choice because of availability and the price I got it for ...... You can't turn down someone taking $2000 off a brand new quad .

Maxx_Action
02-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by KOG
so the raptor is a little faster and u dont have to repair the yfz every 30 hrs then i might hav eit narowed down to just the 450r and the yfz 450

Ehhh...

Whoever told you that either dogs thier motors to no end, or does no maintenance. There was an article on ATV Scene about Kory Ellis's YFZ after about half a season last year and when they tore the motor down they found almost 0, zip, nada, no wear in the top end. that whole thing is a myth, especially for those of us that race occassionally, and motly ride trails...

Maxx

ESR250R
02-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Maxx_Action
Ehhh...

Whoever told you that either dogs thier motors to no end, or does no maintenance. There was an article on ATV Scene about Kory Ellis's YFZ after about half a season last year and when they tore the motor down they found almost 0, zip, nada, no wear in the top end. that whole thing is a myth, especially for those of us that race occassionally, and motly ride trails...

Maxx

what about the bottom end? i've heard rumors about tranny problems and rough shifting on the new yammi's.