PDA

View Full Version : The mystery has been solved!

nateftbl
02-15-2004, 01:34 PM
I bought an 86 shock for my 89 R the other day and I went to install it today and it does not fit. I repeat it does not fit! :) The reason for this is that the 86 shock is about a half inch longer tan the 89 and it will not line up with the wishbone. The dogbone is also a unusable part because of the little oil nipple on the part where it attaches to the swingarm. It gets hung up on the swingarm and cannont rotate to fit the shock. So what to do I ask myself. I am now parting out some of my quad! I am selling my frame and buying a blue frame, selling my front radials w/rims and extra set of unused radials, selling all three shocks I have now. 86-stock 86-rebuilt and 89-stock but needs rebuilt, stock steering stem, maier blue plastic, twist throttle and many others. Let me know if you are interested in something and I am glad that I have now finally found out that the 86 shock does not work on a 89. thanks talk with you guys later!

310Rduner
02-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by nateftbl
I bought an 86 shock for my 89 R the other day and I went to install it today and it does not fit. I repeat it does not fit! :) The reason for this is that the 86 shock is about a half inch longer tan the 89 and it will not line up with the wishbone. The dogbone is also a unusable part because of the little oil nipple on the part where it attaches to the swingarm. It gets hung up on the swingarm and cannont rotate to fit the shock. So what to do I ask myself. I am now parting out some of my quad! I am selling my frame and buying a blue frame, selling my front radials w/rims and extra set of unused radials, selling all three shocks I have now. 86-stock 86-rebuilt and 89-stock but needs rebuilt, stock steering stem, maier blue plastic, twist throttle and many others. Let me know if you are interested in something and I am glad that I have now finally found out that the 86 shock does not work on a 89. thanks talk with you guys later!

I don't think you did, but I have to ask regardless. Do you think you could have possibly tried installing the linkage with the oil zerk on the wrong side? It probably hits regardless just because of the angle difference caused by the shock, but if you install that zerk wrong side up, it will hit the swingarm exactly as you said. If you did install it wrong, go flip it over and see what difference it makes:)

nateftbl
02-15-2004, 05:11 PM
thanks for the thought, but the dogbone actually was never removed so it was on the right way. thanks for the help though

stonerider250x
02-15-2004, 06:02 PM
what type and size are the radials?

nateftbl
02-15-2004, 06:15 PM
well I have kumhos on rims and another set never used (ill have to check what they are) they are about 19" high. perfect for mx thanks