PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel diameter differences???

lowclk430
02-15-2004, 01:13 PM
what are the pros and cons of the different sizes what should be expected?8,9,10???

EvilJester400EX
02-15-2004, 10:16 PM
8 inch rims give the best ride, 9's are in the middle, but your tires won't "bubble over the rim" bad.. and 10 inch gives the bumpiest ride, but slide the best.

Nausty
02-15-2004, 10:46 PM
also wanna add you have to run bead locks w/ 9" and 10" inch rims and you will pry put your rims through a lot more abuse.

muff
02-16-2004, 07:26 AM
it all depends on the kind of riding you do

if your using 18" mx tires, go with the 8" rims, this will be the best option when going to a 18" tire because the tire will be able to absorb as much as possible, going to a 9 or 10" rim and a mx tire will give you a rougher ride than necessary

with a 20" or 22" tire go with 9" rims, it will give you the best control, an 8" will give a little to much body roll and the 10" will not give you enough sidewall space

I would only run 10" rear rims if I was doing TT

wilkin250r
02-17-2004, 09:49 AM
There is no one "perfect" size, or all tires would be that size. It depends on your riding.

The taller the sidewall is, the more the tires will "roll" in the corners. Basically, a 20 tire on 8-inch rims will roll more than a 20 inch tire on 10 inch rims. A taller sidewall is more likely to fold over in a hard corner, and possibly break the bead seal. This could cause major problems in a TT race where hard cornering is a must.

However, taller sidewalls mean softer tires, which is great for rocky terrain. A taller sidewall and low tire pressure will allow the tires to conform over rocks and small bumps, both improving traction and giving you a smoother ride.

9-inch rims are the most common, giving you decent all-around performance.

Sick0
02-17-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by muff
it all depends on the kind of riding you do

if your using 18" mx tires, go with the 8" rims, this will be the best option when going to a 18" tire because the tire will be able to absorb as much as possible, going to a 9 or 10" rim and a mx tire will give you a rougher ride than necessary

with a 20" or 22" tire go with 9" rims, it will give you the best control, an 8" will give a little to much body roll and the 10" will not give you enough sidewall space

I would only run 10" rear rims if I was doing TT

Well I run 9" rims w/ 18. I fells this the bet of both worlds. The 8" absorb the most but also have more roll in the rims. the 10" have the least absorbatoin and the least tire roll.

Another things rubber weight more than aluminum when it comes to tires and wheels. Another things is the is more selection of tire that will fit a 9" rim compared to 8'' or 10."

Except that most 18" use 8" rims.