PDA

View Full Version : Packing axle bearings with grease?

Moded86R
02-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Well my 300ex has been broke for a long time now.I can't remember how long.Probably almost a year though.It needed a new bearing carrier and a rear brake rotor.(Along with new handlebars,front plastic,brake pads,chain and sprockets,battery,etc,etc)

Anyway I found a 300ex swingarm and axle in the paper.The best part was the # was from my town.So I call the guy up.I go look at it and it's basicly the whole rearend.Minus the shock,sprocket,caliper.So I bought it for 70 bucks.I got the swingarm,carrier,axle,rotor,hubs,everything still bolted togother.

So I bring it home and take it apart.The bearings and seals still appear to be good.I just want to put new grease in there before I put it back togother.Am I going to have to take the bearings out and pack them like wheel bearings on a car.I think I would pretty much ruin the seals if I tried to take them out.

So what's the deal.How do I do this?

I did do a search on this and nothing useful came up.

beak7707
02-15-2004, 12:32 PM
If the carrier has a grease fitting on it i would just fill it full and run it.

mustang93
02-15-2004, 12:37 PM
if they are stock sealed bearings you dont pack chit

Moded86R
02-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Yeah there stock bearings.

I am letting it soak in a bucket of oil until I get home from work tonight.Both of the bearings turned.It's just the one on the brake side didn't run as freely as the other one.If it's sealed I don't see how it's gonna help.But I don't see how it's gonna hurt either.

I might end up getting new bearings anyway!

beak7707
02-15-2004, 04:01 PM
In the past when ive removed bearings fromt the carrier, I've had to pretty much destroy them to get them out. If you are planning on removing them you might as well just buy new ones.

Moded86R
02-15-2004, 08:52 PM
It turns out the bearings are shot anyway.I let it soak in oil all day.I came home and cleaned it real good with the parts washer.Bearings where turning fine.So I put the carrier in the swingarm and start to put the caliper mounting bracket on.Only I can't get it on there for the life of me.I could the the top part on.And then get the bottom part on.Not both at the same time.

So I start tapping the bracket to take it back off.And from where the big C-clip is out broke off.It left enough to go ahead and give it a try though.So I get the c-clip on there.I get the axle in and get her tight.And it wobbles.Has about a 1/4 inch of play!

So I am back where I started.Only now I gotta take it back apart.

I guess I am going to have to give a herrmann a call.

02-16-2004, 09:24 AM
you shoulda just bought some new ones before you even put that thing together it sounds like...you can get some ne wones off ebay...they are like $27 shipped for 2 dust seals & 2 bearings;)