PDA

View Full Version : My Truck Needs To Be A Bit Louder

speedy400
02-15-2004, 08:30 AM
So I was messing with my 1990 Chevy S-10 3.7 last night. So I put a diffrent higher flow straight threw muffler. So this morning I started it up, WEAK. It seems almost quieter than the stock muffler. But if ya listen real hard it has a GREAT low rumble. I just need that great low rumble to be noticable. Any ideas? How much louder would it get with those chrome slash tips all these piped trucks have? Thanks-darren

beak7707
02-15-2004, 08:36 AM
The tips arent going to help you any. To get a good loud deep tone you need a V-8. About the best you could do if you want it to be loud is use a 12 inch glasspack, or straight pipe it from the converter. I dont know where you live, but where i come from which is out in the sticks. We cut off everything the converter, muffler and all. Now that will make your truck loud, but it is also illegal. It's just in rural Indiana the police dont really inforce the law, because I know of 10+ people who have done it and have never been pulled over.

speedy400
02-15-2004, 08:39 AM
what do you meen 12 inch glass pack? 12 inches in length guessing? sorry I'm new to this truck exhaust stuff.thanks-darren

jay's 300
02-15-2004, 08:44 AM
The bigger and longer tips you get, the deeper it sounds. If you cut the converter off you'll lose torque, because of the backpressure loss. A Flowmaster 40 series will make it louder (but not too loud) and you'll get some power with it. That's what I have on my Tacoma and I like it alot. Good luck :D

beak7707
02-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Yes, they make all different sizes which will give a different tone. The 12 inch will be louder, the 18 inch will be a deeper tone. At first it wont be all that loud with a glass pack, but once they get burnt out they are very loud.

speedy400
02-15-2004, 08:55 AM
So what'd happen if I just pretty much cut it off right after the muffler?...I spoz it'd look pretty stupid exhaust coming out right under the bed... thanks-darren

speedy400
02-15-2004, 08:57 AM
aka I'm trying to use what I alreddy spent 25 bucks on. I dont really wanna buy another muffler..But if I do need a diffrent muffler I guess I would wait a while and save up..thanks-darren

Mr.Offroad
02-15-2004, 09:02 AM
The only prob with that is you have to make sure it's not facing anything dangling under the truck (brake lines, emergency brake cables, dead skunks) otherwise it'll barbeque them. Also, if you're ever gonna stick a canopy on the back, you'll get a lot of exhaust fumes in it, potentially killing off any illegal immigrants you have stowed back there. It's always best to run SOME kind of tailpipe, either out the sides or back.

speedy400
02-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Offroad
The only prob with that is you have to make sure it's not facing anything dangling under the truck (brake lines, emergency brake cables, dead skunks) otherwise it'll barbeque them. Also, if you're ever gonna stick a canopy on the back, you'll get a lot of exhaust fumes in it, potentially killing off any illegal immigrants you have stowed back there. It's always best to run SOME kind of tailpipe, either out the sides or back.
Would it make it any louder though? Maybe I could kick it off to the side before the rear tire?

Mr.Offroad
02-15-2004, 09:07 AM
That would work. Like the other guy said, once that glasspck burns out (and it don't take long) it;ll sound a lot louder.

speedy400
02-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Well the muffler I got isnt a glass pack, Its basically a wide, 13-15 inch long can with a tube in the inside that is perferated so it catches the air and brings it into the outside of the inner tube. Would it be much/at all louder if I cut it after the muffler?thanks-darren

Mr.Offroad
02-15-2004, 09:45 AM
not much

speedy400
02-15-2004, 09:51 AM
hmm,intresting. Would it make a good diffrence if I cut open the muffler and took out the inner core and then reinforced the can and welded it back up?
thanks for all the replys-darren

brif
02-15-2004, 09:57 AM
I know the sound you're trying to aquire. You'll need a v-8. A 12" cherrybomb(glasspack) will make it louder, but still won't sound like a v-8. As for tips if you were to install "megs" brand tips the 18" ones(they're like a magaphone shape) they make the sound deeper. I have had many aftermarket exhaust systems over the years most were installed on brand new trucks. If I were you I wouldn't go too loud as you'll get hassled by the cops(this is from experience). Hell I haven't had a loud truck in 6 years and still every cop in the county knows who I am.....