PDA

View Full Version : First ride on a 450r

Scottie Mac
02-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Wheelies VERY easy. If you like to show off, this is your machine
Looks better in person
Front brakes are VERY good (stoppie good)
If you like your 400ex - you WILL LOVE THIS THING
Turns very good
smooth power

Dislikes:
Wheelies TOO EAST - if you like MX
plastic seems a little ont he pink side - will get worse with time and exposure to sun light
geared too tall with stock tires, but, add 18s should be fine
seat height - felt like I was sitting on top of a building
seat is as hard as a YFZ450 (if you want comfort, get a Z)
doesn't "feel" fast - it IS fast, just doesn't make you..... ahhhh...clinch your butt checks :)

Basically, I think the 450R is a very nice quad. I don't agree with some of the people who say it is the most comfortable quad out there, while the power is easier on the novice guy, the seat has the same butt numbing effect the YFZ has. I was expecting to sit on a pillow after all the talk I had heard, that wasn't the case.

If you race MX (the million dollar question) I believe the YFZ is a better starting point. It handles better and responds to mods a little better. Having said that, the guy with the most money, is more than likely going to have the baddest machine at the track. Thankfully, after the first turn, that doesn't mean $hit. I think it will come down to this.....

good rider on a TRX will beat a bad rider on a YFZ

good rider on a YFZ will beat a bad rider on a TRX

Man, am I starting to sound like a mag or what.

By the way, we did race the two, the YFZ had a slip on and no cam mod, the TRX had the HRC kit. They were about even the entire way, with the YFZ slightliy (1 bike length over 150 yards) pulling ahead. BUT, the TRX had 20 in tires, which makes a big difference in top end speed. Had the Honda had 18s, I do believe the YFZ would have pulled it at least another bike length. Add a pipe to the TRX, more than likely, dead even.

Now, when the Z450 comes out, we will have to do this all over again. The one great thing about all of this is..... MAN, it is a great time to be a sport ATV rider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yellow, red or blue, by the end of the year, you can't go wrong!!!!

Scott

Hammer trx450r
02-15-2004, 08:30 AM
I pretty much agree

jab0400
02-15-2004, 08:33 AM
I have not ridden one, but i have sat on one, and i thought compared to the yfz that seat was sooooo much more comfortable. And the overall ergonomics were spot on i thought. And the seat height wasnt to bad for me. Thats just my opinion though. jeff

beak7707
02-15-2004, 08:40 AM
I agree with the pink color, what is up with that? I went to the local honda shop and they had the new 450 sitting next to a 400ex and a rancher, and it looked really pink sitting by the other bikes.

LostCause439
02-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Yea they are both great machinces, i own a YFZ and have sat on a TRX, the seats are hard but you dont want a cushiony seat if you ride mx, most of the time you are standing and you want to be able to slide around that ***** nicely. , Im 6`1 and both quads seem very comfortable to me.

2004TRX450R
02-15-2004, 10:21 AM
The TRX's seat is much softer than the YFZ. It may be stiffer than a 400EX but it is softer than the YFZ. So what all have you done to mod your TRX450R? Sounds like you have done a lot if you know it doesn't respond to mods as well as the YFZ. I think the plastic looks more pink under the floresent lights in the shop but once you get it out in the sunlight it looks red again. I kinda like that it isn't a very high gloss finish as it hides small scratches better. My friend has a YFZ with a full HMF ehxaust system on it and my TRX just has the HRC kit and when we raced they were dead even. Only thing is I weigh 230 and he weighs 160. So I'd imagine with even riders the TRX would prevail. If you want lower gearing I wouldn't get 18" tires. That is way more epensive than just getting a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket. That is what I did but I haven't had a chance to ride it yet since I installed it. I'll defineately agree that it doesn't "feel" as fast as it is. The YFZ "felt" faster especially in the mid range but I think the TRX is just so smooth it is decieving because as I said they were both dead even in a race.

Jonas
02-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda is just trying to make it look more "racey" looking like the CR's. The plastic on it looks just like the newer model CR's. They also have done the same thing with their smaller XR models, going from a more rounded shroud look to a sharp look. It's just a new look and I think most people will learn to like it. Now that I have seen it in person, I love it. All I know is that it makes my '00 440ex look like it's 20 years old now!

Pappy
02-15-2004, 10:56 AM
great comparision scottie

Scottie Mac
02-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Thanks Pap

As far as the floresent lights, we were outside, still has a pink look to it. Not bad, but in a year, being outside and ridden, scratched, it will be in need of some fullbore.

When I said it doesn't respond to mods that well, I meant that the YFZ with a decorked pipe and jetted properly is a totally different machine. The TRX with the HRC kit didn't seem that much different than a completely stock one. It sound better with the different end cap, but for 300 bucks, I think you would be better off getting a sparks cam and investing in a pipe. IMO

I said that the two quads were very close in terms of speed, but I also mentioned the TRX had 20 inch tires, that makes about a 3 mph difference in terms of top end. I know it is cheaper to add a sprocket, but if you race MX, you are going to want 18s anyway, right???? That way you wouldn't have to buy the sprocket.

Scott

exrider44
02-17-2004, 08:30 PM
I agree I wont waste my time with the hrc kit Im going sparks!

jarsong
02-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac

Now, when the Z450 comes out, we will have to do this all over again. The one great thing about all of this is..... MAN, it is a great time to be a sport ATV rider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yellow, red or blue, by the end of the year, you can't go wrong!!!!

Scott

Isn't that the truth. Who would of thunk it even 5 years ago we'd see the bikes produced today. Great time right now for our sport so just enjoy it while it lasts.
jarsong