PDA

View Full Version : porting a 250r??... does it help

QuAdEr 317
02-14-2004, 10:50 PM
will porting my stock cylinder on a 86 250r nd having a pro design cool head add a good amount of power to it?...thnaks

2004TRX450R
02-14-2004, 11:40 PM
yes but have someone do it that knows what they are doing. Don't just go at it yourself. There is more to it than just makeing the ports bigger.

AndrewRRR
02-15-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by QuAdEr 317
will porting my stock cylinder on a 86 250r nd having a pro design cool head add a good amount of power to it?...thnaks

Yes, it's probably the best dollar-to-power ratio you can do on a 250r after you have a pipe.

H_W
02-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
Yes, it's probably the best dollar-to-power ratio you can do on a 250r after you have a pipe.

I agree, porting and polishing really adds power to a 2 stroke.

310Rduner
02-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by H_W
I agree, porting and polishing really adds power to a 2 stroke.

Yep, plus it shapes the powerband.... and that in itself can make it seem pretty crazy depending on how yah get it done; god I love two strokes:D

wilkin250r
02-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Ever ride a 250r with a stock pipe? Pretty boring and mild. Put an aftermarket pipe on and it wakes right up! A good port job will do the same thing, really wake up the motor.

310Rduner
02-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Ever ride a 250r with a stock pipe? Pretty boring and mild. Put an aftermarket pipe on and it wakes right up! A good port job will do the same thing, really wake up the motor.

I actually have before.:D It was the first 250R I had ever ridden ( when I still had my 300ex) and the guy in our riding group just let me ride the piss out of it.. probably rode it for 40 mins in the dunes, and then back into camp hitting jumps and crests the whole way back. I remember the thing vibrating the **** out of me as I rode a bowl 4th gear pegged.:macho That thing was such a POS because he didn't believe in modifying bikes.. so it was about as bad as it could get. Still, it was enough to have me ranting and raving, and it made me make up my mind to get a 250R based on 1 ride on a ****ty one at that.. had a 310R like 2 months later.:D

AndrewRRR
02-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
I actually have before.:D It was the first 250R I had ever ridden ( when I still had my 300ex) and the guy in our riding group just let me ride the piss out of it.. probably rode it for 40 mins in the dunes, and then back into camp hitting jumps and crests the whole way back. I remember the thing vibrating the **** out of me as I rode a bowl 4th gear pegged.:macho That thing was such a POS because he didn't believe in modifying bikes.. so it was about as bad as it could get. Still, it was enough to have me ranting and raving, and it made me make up my mind to get a 250R based on 1 ride on a ****ty one at that.. had a 310R like 2 months later.:D

Same here, rode a bone stock R at florence. It belonged to the brother of my gf at the time, he was on his CR500. I always loved R's ever since the first time I saw them back when they were new. I finally had enough money to actually get one and that ride sold me.