PDA

View Full Version : what size of paddles to geT?

BG440
02-14-2004, 09:44 PM
just curious of what style and size of paddles to get ??:confused: :huh

2004TRX450R
02-15-2004, 12:26 AM
I got a new set of Sand Stars front and rear for mine and really like them so far. I don't think you are going to have to many problems over paddleing these like you can on a 400EX. I'd just run a good 8 paddle tire like the Sand Stars, Skate IIs or Haulers. Should work good!

400ex4ever
02-15-2004, 08:54 AM
I am planning on ordering a pair of 10 paddle Skat Trac Haulers. I have a pair of 8 paddle Sand Devils on my wife's 400EX. In my opinion the 450 has to much power for that little number of paddles. Just waiting for the tax returns to come in to get them on order. Spent all my cash on the 450, but it was well worth it.:devil: :devil:

2004TRX450R
02-15-2004, 10:11 AM
People always seem to think that you have to have more paddles to go faster. It isn't the case. On a stock bike I'd say an 8 paddle is about right. It is easy to over paddle them if you just think you need to run the biggest paddles out there. If you plan on a lot of motor work then I'd say go for it but the 8 paddles are all it needs in stock trim. You start over paddleing them and they will actually climb the hills worse. Not enough tire spin wich is what you want in the sand. Those paddles you are running on the 400EX are probably border line to much for it if it is stock. I've seen two stock 400s side by side one with haulers or something similar and one with stock tires and the stock tired one would out climb the one with paddles because it just takes to mcuh power away to run those big paddles. It is even worse when you get to smaller bikes like the 300EXs and really bad on the kids bikes like the LT80s and TRX90s.

Jonas
02-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Also, what is everyone's thought on tire height. My friends have 20x10x10 Haulers on their 400ex's and I have 22x11x10's on mine. My buddie's quad's vibrate MUCH more than mine when they take off from a stand still. I'm not really certain why, but I'm thinking that I just have more surface area on the ground and the tires ride over the bumps better. The only thing you've got to watch with 22's on the rear is if you have nerf bars or something that come close to the tire, they can interfere with the tire and rip the paddle off.

ROGERS
02-15-2004, 02:36 PM
I have Edges, but haven't gotten to ride on them yet. My friend has sand stars on his yfz and says they perform well. As for height, I like the 20" rears b/c I just don't like sitting high.