PDA

View Full Version : KFX 400 details

Dill Pickle
02-14-2004, 08:37 PM
I am looking into buying a KFX 400. wanted to know what quads it beats stock & aftermarket . im hoping that i can supe it up enough to waste my friends predator, which he has it stock and probably wont add any mods cuz his parents say its fast enough lol. any help wuold be appreciated

Out_Sider
02-14-2004, 10:44 PM
well, a stock kfx is about as fast, if not faster, than a yamaha raptor. It is faster all around than the 400ex. I'd say that the kfx would need a good full system exhaust, filter, jet kit. then see how it does. other than that... a good ol' 450 kit with race cams, HD valve springs w/ ti retainers, titainum valves...:p but with a good pipe and all that, it should be keeping with the predator pretty good

elliptic
02-15-2004, 11:04 AM
The only two quads that are better then the kfx400 in my opinion are the trx 450r and the yfz 450. The kfx 400 is a very good trail quad from the factory and you can make it a very good mxer with money. The kfx400 has reverse unlike trx450r and yfz 450. Stock vs stock the kfx 400 with a good rider can stick with a 660 until the higher gears then the 660 will take over. No replacement for displacement. With pipe, proper jets and filter, you should be able to keep up with predator. Its mostly on the riders ability thou. KFX 400 will handle better in the air and do wheelies over the predator.

I use to own a kfx before it was stolen.

02-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
well, a stock kfx is about as fast, if not faster, than a yamaha raptor. i agree...the kfx/z40's are noticeably aster than my 400ex...they are just a little tippy though compared to my 400ex but it is something you could get used to. I like them alot & if they were heavily modded they might beat a predator

Dill Pickle
02-15-2004, 01:31 PM
thanks guys

i am probably just going to add full exhaust system (yoshimura maybe) jet kit kn air filter outerwears that is about all i will do to performance mods, i think it should be fast enough with those

Out_Sider
02-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
i agree...the kfx/z40's are noticeably aster than my 400ex...they are just a little tippy though compared to my 400ex but it is something you could get used to. I like them alot & if they were heavily modded they might beat a predator

yea, they have supposedly the same width a arms but the stock kfx shocks are 1/4 in longer than 400ex shocks so that is wat makes them tippy? i think atleast. but yea.. i've seen a z400 take a predator on a track b4..and all it had was jets, filter, powerbomb header, yoshi silencer.

atvchik
02-15-2004, 06:09 PM
I put the Elka's w/SSD on mine and it doesn't feel tippy anymore.
It's 3" lower but it works for me and my size.

jbfoco
02-15-2004, 11:10 PM
With my mods in my signature i am faster than my friends piped, jetted yfz450 with the cam mod.

jbfoco
02-15-2004, 11:12 PM
With my mods in my signature i am faster than my friends piped, jetted yfz450 with the cam mod.

dpizz450
02-16-2004, 05:28 PM
yea 400exs are great machines but i love my kfx i would hihgly recommend you to look at one......very greay machines....and ride reallly smooth

renee400
02-16-2004, 09:40 PM
i have a reply to the stock kfx 400 betting a 400ex. i raced one with my 2001 400ex and was a quad length ahead everytime. we raced numerous times to make sure. all i have on my 400ex is a aftermarket exhaust. thanks

Shawn H
02-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by jbfoco

Yea me tooo!!!

Dill Pickle
02-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by renee400
i have a reply to the stock kfx 400 betting a 400ex. i raced one with my 2001 400ex and was a quad length ahead everytime. we raced numerous times to make sure. all i have on my 400ex is a aftermarket exhaust. thanks

he must not know how to ride it yet;)

lsittingbull
02-18-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by renee400

well you must have what we call a freak. Every time I race the 400ex around my house i usually pull them three to four bike lengths and mine was stock then (got new tires now, to some people thats not stock any more);) . But then again you could be a better rider, that my friend counts for alot.

Out_Sider
02-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm
Yea me tooo!!!

wonder why :p

wrewster
02-23-2004, 05:21 PM
I have owned both the 400EX and the Z400 and would say that they are both nice machines but for the money the KFX-400/Z-400 has the better value factor especially this years model as they improved it over last but kept the price the same. (Always nice when a company does this). I sold my 03' Z400 to get in line for the new Honda 450R but I do mostly poker runs and ride trails for the most part and I may regret having the new R machine as my sole ATV to ride. So, I've been thinking of getting a new 04' Z-400/KFX-400 as my trail machine and then the 450R as my track machine. Kind of the best of both worlds. I just know that if I did a really nasty muddy poker run and took the R that I would end up hating it as these types of rides can be brutal and kick starting without electric start would kinda suck to say the least. I think the Z is an awesome trail machine and the R is the awesome track machine. I just can't wait till this June when the Suzuki dealer show will annouce the new 450 that they will have coming next. It should be awesome. I want it to be a killer quad so that way we as customers win so they all of these companies will continue to work harder to build us even better machines. All we gotta do is keep the flow going and keep buying them. I am curious what will happen next year to see if both Honda and Yamaha will continue to improve on these new flagship sport quads like we see them do with the motocross bikes. When the 250R was out from 86-89 they kept improving them each year so it will be interesting to see what happens next year and the years after that. I got into quads when the only changes were bold new graphics and the price went up a $100. each year. This was the darkest times in the very early 90's and despite all of the missing race/sport machines coming out I was still very much into it back then. I just wish I was in the same shape as I was back then so I could ride these things as hard as I used too. LOL.

Out_Sider
02-23-2004, 08:17 PM
i'm gonna be selling my 330 soon to get a kfx400...so any advice yall can give me would be much appreciated
:)

wrewster
02-23-2004, 09:07 PM
I had a Suzuki Z-400 up until last October when I sold it. I didn't sell it because I didn't like it. Actually it proved to be one of the best quads I had ever owned. It was a stellar value in atv'ing available today. I only sold it because I had put a year and a half of use on it ( never a single flaw or problem and I bought the first shipment of one of these new releases) and I knew the 04's were coming with the new updates and that Honda was coming out with the new 450R. Anyways, I was disappointed to read in Dirtwheels that the early 03's had frame cracks in the upper shock mounts. Mine never did develop these but I really only do average to minor jumps, not the huge motocross triples or anything like this. I guess my question is, if you own a Z-400 or KFX-400 have you had any problems with your frame cracking? I totally understand that a stock frame on any machine can only handle so much and just wondered how widespread of a problem there is in regards to this. I do know one thing, Suzuki has been doing a great job standing behind this from what I have heard and read so far. I asked one shop what Suzuki has done to rectify the problem in the late 03' and the new 04' models and they said that Suzuki hasn't changed anything, just that they will "goodwill" for one time only any of there customers frame damage. Is this true or has Suzuki done something to correct this? I looked at the 04's and I don't notice any differences between them or the 03' that I had before. Any insight into this would be kewl..

Out_Sider
02-24-2004, 03:18 PM
i heard they made the welds beefier? dono tho

jarsong
03-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by wrewster
I had a Suzuki Z-400 up until last October when I sold it. I didn't sell it because I didn't like it. Actually it proved to be one of the best quads I had ever owned. It was a stellar value in atv'ing available today. I only sold it because I had put a year and a half of use on it ( never a single flaw or problem and I bought the first shipment of one of these new releases) and I knew the 04's were coming with the new updates and that Honda was coming out with the new 450R. Anyways, I was disappointed to read in Dirtwheels that the early 03's had frame cracks in the upper shock mounts. Mine never did develop these but I really only do average to minor jumps, not the huge motocross triples or anything like this. I guess my question is, if you own a Z-400 or KFX-400 have you had any problems with your frame cracking? I totally understand that a stock frame on any machine can only handle so much and just wondered how widespread of a problem there is in regards to this. I do know one thing, Suzuki has been doing a great job standing behind this from what I have heard and read so far. I asked one shop what Suzuki has done to rectify the problem in the late 03' and the new 04' models and they said that Suzuki hasn't changed anything, just that they will "goodwill" for one time only any of there customers frame damage. Is this true or has Suzuki done something to correct this? I looked at the 04's and I don't notice any differences between them or the 03' that I had before. Any insight into this would be kewl..

Better welds, no additional gussetting from what I have seen.
jarsong