PDA

View Full Version : need help with clutch 400ex

maxster
02-14-2004, 01:44 PM
I am having trouble with a 400ex clutch. all stock.
clutch wont engage, changed the fibers and spacer and springs. still only engages a little when the lever is pulled in?
its adjusted all the way out.
ANY ideas ??

cals400ex
02-14-2004, 02:47 PM
does it seem to be pulling in correctly when you pull on the lever? how much play is in the lever?

maxster
02-14-2004, 04:16 PM
no, there is lots of play, but the adjusters are all the way adjusted out.

cals400ex
02-14-2004, 05:38 PM
the adjuster on the handlebars and by the clutch itself are both all the way out? if so, i am wondering if the cable is stretched really bad or if it is routed wrong or something. does the clutch seem to be working but you just can't get all of the play out of the lever?

maxster
02-14-2004, 08:46 PM
both the lever and side adjuster are out, that was my thought next was the cable but I need to order one.
it looks routed right.
If the cable hits on the outside of the bar adjuster, the clutch will work, meaning giving it about another 1/2 inch extra adjustment. which obviously isnt right.
In the middle of the clutch itself, should that shaft just pull out ?
do you know

cals400ex
02-15-2004, 12:30 PM
i am not really sure. i have only done one clutch in a 400ex and i really don't remember everything. it seems weird to me that the cable stretched that much though. i am not sure what shaft your talking about? i assume you have the right case cover off. are you talking about the shaft that has the nut that holds the clutch basket on?

maxster
02-15-2004, 01:11 PM
I thought it was stretched too far to be true also.
the push pin in the center, I found some other info on this on the site. but I had it off and it looked ok?
I guess I will have to check it again. not fun
thanks for your help cals400ex if you think of anything else let me know

crashinmatt
02-15-2004, 07:25 PM
the clutch wont engage or disengage? if it dont disengage all the way, it could be ur cable. i had a clutch cable get close to the header, and it strectched on me. it stretched to the point where i couldnt get it to disengage the cltuch at all with it all adjusted out. i changed the cable and it worked fine. if the cable is over a year or 2 old i would get a new one. it wouldnt hurt havin a spare hangin around anyway.

maxster
02-16-2004, 01:28 PM
I cant get it to stop and go to neutral or just stop without stalling.
So I would say wont engage.
once moving I can only speed shift.

maxster
02-17-2004, 04:50 PM
still not working, push pin looks good. cable changed?
any other ideas.
the push pin has 2 flat spots on it, machined this way, but the hole it goes into is round.
is this anything ?