PDA

View Full Version : magazines suck

jab0400
02-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Ok im getting sick of this, do magazines just make stuff up? I was reading some old magazines, and came across the yfz450 Vs. Predator shootout, and in there they say the predator beats the yfz by a few quad lengths, and now they say the yfz is the quickest accelerating thing out there. And the yfz vs. 450r thing is pissing me off too. In all the other mags, they say the power feels different but in most drags they are even, now they all say that the yamaha has gobs of power, and the honda is more mellow. And now the drag race times, in an old z400 vs. raptor shootout, the raptor ran the "200"yd race, ON DIRT, an it ran 9.81sec, now in the yfz and 450r race in "125"yd on PAVEMENT, and the yfz ran 9.40sec, and the 450r 9.56sec. I think something wrong there cause i dont think that 75 yds will only take .25 sec to run. And on to the star rating, on the transmission, they say its a toss up in atv action between the two, and now they only give honda 4 stars and yami 5. And in power now all of a sudden the honda power just isnt good enough so it deserves four in everything except low end, which i even heard some mags say thats where there isnt any power. I'm sorry this post is so long, i just had to vent, all these mags care about are money and whoever pays more, gets more praise. Ill just stick to looking at the pictures. Jeff

rtyfz450
02-14-2004, 10:23 AM
That is why it is better to ride before you buy. I would ignore the mags controdictions, I would just read them and take it for what it is(opinion) or don't buy it. I do have something to say about the 450r power vs yfz power though, I agree that the 450r is more smooth and the power comes on at different points than the yfz (stock for stock). I also think that the yfz powerband has an edgy feel (stock) with a pipe and jetted right this is alot differnet and the power is much smoother and there is alot more torque from my feeling. I also think that the 450r with the hcr kit has completly different characteristics than the stock 450r. That is why these mags are so wierd on results I think the test all the setups and can keep it clear in their minds which was which:devil:

H_W
02-14-2004, 10:24 AM
I agree, you can't believe anyting they say. They contradict themselves all the time.

jab0400
02-14-2004, 10:30 AM
rtyfz, i see what your saying, ive ridden the yfz and it definately has an edgy two stroke feel, and i have heard the honda is softer, but they just almost make it sound like the 450r is slow, i know its not what theyre saying but its almost like that is what they are trying to put out there. I will definately have to ride the honda first to make any decisions. Jeff

rtyfz450
02-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Yeah that is where they make mistakes, In no way do I think that the yfz is faster stock for stock, the exhuast is so plugged up for emmission that I am suprised it is as fast as it is. the mags do make it seem that they think it is a whimmpy bike in comparision, it is all in how the say things and display them in the articles. I think they need to have their heads examened if you ask me.

jeepeater347
02-14-2004, 10:36 AM
One other thing that should be taken into consideration is the amount of seat time these test riders have on these quads they should feel better on the YFZ considering they have been riding it for about a year now and the 450r has only been avalible for about a month

jarsong
02-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by jab0400
Ok im getting sick of this, do magazines just make stuff up? I was reading some old magazines, and came across the yfz450 Vs. Predator shootout, and in there they say the predator beats the yfz by a few quad lengths, and now they say the yfz is the quickest accelerating thing out there. And the yfz vs. 450r thing is pissing me off too. In all the other mags, they say the power feels different but in most drags they are even, now they all say that the yamaha has gobs of power, and the honda is more mellow. And now the drag race times, in an old z400 vs. raptor shootout, the raptor ran the "200"yd race, ON DIRT, an it ran 9.81sec, now in the yfz and 450r race in "125"yd on PAVEMENT, and the yfz ran 9.40sec, and the 450r 9.56sec. I think something wrong there cause i dont think that 75 yds will only take .25 sec to run. And on to the star rating, on the transmission, they say its a toss up in atv action between the two, and now they only give honda 4 stars and yami 5. And in power now all of a sudden the honda power just isnt good enough so it deserves four in everything except low end, which i even heard some mags say thats where there isnt any power. I'm sorry this post is so long, i just had to vent, all these mags care about are money and whoever pays more, gets more praise. Ill just stick to looking at the pictures. Jeff

I think it depends on how far the race is. I think the YFZ is the fastest but only to a certian distance. Seem's to me the Predator will catch it in the top end. Now if you change the gearing in the YFZ??? Who knows.
jarsong

elliptic
02-14-2004, 11:59 AM
I take the magazines with a grain of salt. I also do believe they have different test riders for their shootouts. Which means different opinions. You can't get angry over what quad they like more or less. Unless your at the test and work at the magazine you can't say they choose by money. I also cant say they dont try an please one company more. It could be in their opinion one bike is better or faster. Everyone is different and likes different things in their quad.

Why not email the magazines and tell them what you noticed and see if they reply with a good answer and inform everyone else?

450ex
02-14-2004, 12:14 PM
i think that companies probably have pull on the mags

look at it this way

how many ads of the yfz are in dirtwheels

how many of the honda

yamaha has the back page of the mag covered

they pay the mags for the ads
why not give yamaha the edge

people pay yamaha after reading dirtwheels
yamaha pays dirtwheels after selling bike

kinda like a circle to me

elliptic
02-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Wouldn't normal companies give money to which mag sales the most copies in a month? If I don't have the facts, I cant say that the magazines give a certain bike the edge over the other for giving them money. I doubt any magazine stops the big companies from advertising, so Honda chooses not to advertise. Honda let alot of magazines come test ride the 450r, companies also provide magazine with their quads for the shoot outs. So if they thought one magazine will still give certain companies the edge I doubt they would do all that.

twisted threads
02-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by H_W
I agree, you can't believe anyting they say. They contradict themselves all the time.
I agree also! I know a few people that are not going to get the ATV Action no more because of all the crap they say from one month to the next. I still like reading all my mags I get but I am starting to get sick of the contradiction. I really don't care that the YFZ won in the shootout but they need to tell it like it is! Yesterday after riding my little brothers TRX450r all I can do is be mad at all the crap that the mags have said about the new HONDA450r because it is awsome all around from bottom to top. Like rtyfz450 said you need to ride one yourself and don't trust in the mags.

H_W
02-14-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by twisted threads
Like rtyfz450 said you need to ride one yourself and don't trust in the mags.

I totally agree. Now I just need to find someone around here with a 450r, so I can ride it before I buy one in a couple months.

psd1
02-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by H_W
I totally agree. Now I just need to find someone around here with a 450r, so I can ride it before I buy one in a couple months.

:rolleyes: Why waste time riding one if you already KNOW your gonna buy one??? Seems your mind is already made up!

Pappy
02-14-2004, 07:07 PM
i dont believe the magazines purposly rate quads by the amount of advertising done by the manufacture. i do however feel that the test riders either arent in touch with what the majority of its readers are doing nowadays with the quads or arent intelectually coherent enough to make an honest opinion based on what each quad lacks or excells in!!

ive riden a ton of quads. hell i wont even give my opinion on the yfz vs. the trx yet. i think a few days switching between the quads will give a person an idea of what works and what doesnt. i personally think that your riding preferences will dictate what quad you like better between the trx and yfz.....not brand.

i have always loved the sheer thrill of riding a 2 stroke....and the way the yfz feels keeps me smiling!!! and on the other hand, the trx feels like it has more balls lower in the powerband so id prefer it for woods riding.

i think ill run both head on into each other at 70 mph:macho then re assemble 1 quad outta the good parts that are left:p

markeg192
02-15-2004, 04:57 PM
I just don't buy them anymore.

psd1
02-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by markeg192
I just don't buy them anymore.

Interesting concept....if they dont say what you want to hear, just ignore them. :)

markeg192
02-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by psd1
Interesting concept....if they dont say what you want to hear, just ignore them. :)

Actually I just don't believe what they say. That was the point of this thread.

psd1
02-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by markeg192
Actually I just don't believe what they say. That was the point of this thread.

What's the difference?

The point of this thread, if I understood that run on of a sentence that the original poster gave us, was that he felt that the mag's were biased due to advertising dollars that might come their way.

atcyalater
02-15-2004, 05:48 PM
I'm always leery of what the magazines say but it is interesting that all three of the major ATV magazines, Dirt Wheels, ATV Action and ATV Sport, came to the same conclusion. This rules out any "conspiracy theory” about the manufactures paying of the magazines. I also found it interesting that all three magazines had almost the exact same conclusions about the bikes in all the different areas that they tested them in. I own a YFZ and this weekend I finally had a chance to test a TRX and I felt the magazines were about right on with their conclusions. I know people are going to be made at me but sometimes I think brand loyalty clouds peoples judgment. I have always loved Honda and I have owned many Hondas over the years, I currently own a 400EX, but why should I fool myself and say that the TRX is on par with the YFZ. The TRX is a great bike but in my opinion I think the magazines got it right. The Honda is a well built quad orientated to the "sport" crowd and the Yamaha is orientated toward the serious high performance racer. I suppose I should say, "let the ripping begin" because there is a lot of people on here that don't like to engage in any kind of unbiased civil dialogue on this subject.

markeg192
02-15-2004, 07:07 PM
Well I thought I saw 5 bikes and 3 shootouts mentioned in the original post . My bad.

Scottie Mac
02-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by atcyalater
I'm always leery of what the magazines say but it is interesting that all three of the major ATV magazines, Dirt Wheels, ATV Action and ATV Sport, came to the same conclusion. This rules out any "conspiracy theory” about the manufactures paying of the magazines. I also found it interesting that all three magazines had almost the exact same conclusions about the bikes in all the different areas that they tested them in. I own a YFZ and this weekend I finally had a chance to test a TRX and I felt the magazines were about right on with their conclusions. I know people are going to be made at me but sometimes I think brand loyalty clouds peoples judgment. I have always loved Honda and I have owned many Hondas over the years, I currently own a 400EX, but why should I fool myself and say that the TRX is on par with the YFZ. The TRX is a great bike but in my opinion I think the magazines got it right. The Honda is a well built quad orientated to the "sport" crowd and the Yamaha is orientated toward the serious high performance racer. I suppose I should say, "let the ripping begin" because there is a lot of people on here that don't like to engage in any kind of unbiased civil dialogue on this subject.

A well thought out, logical responce.

Scott

joe1l
02-15-2004, 09:48 PM
People put too much faith of bikes in stock form. To me its evident that the Yamaha is more closely prepared to race. But anyone serious about racing is going to mod the hell out of either bike and utlimately you will have 2 bikes that are going to be fierce competitors, and nothing the magazines wrote will matter anymore. I think a better comparison would be taking 2 modded bikes and see which one ends up on top. I subscribe to dirtwheels, atv sport, and atv action and have always been under the impression that all 3 magazines seem to be owned by the same companies. They always have the same information in each issue, the articles seem to be the same but with subtle differences. But just like others have said before, I don't take too much faith in the magazines, I do believe they are biased, and chances are if one is biased so are the others.

MX#9
02-16-2004, 07:15 AM
You know if the mags rated the 450r better then it would be YFZ owners doing the crybaby complaning. Quit the whining, the 450r is a fantastic machine. If you can't live with the fact that the mags printed and published their OPINIONS from their testing,either don't buy the mag or get rid of your Honda and get a Yamaha if that will make you FEEL like the top dog. I read the mags for entertainment and the fact that I like to read about quads. They have never made my mind up for me. When I read an article,I either agree with this and disagree with that. They don't have to pay for the quads like you and me, they don't have to make it last for 3-4 years like I do. They don't have a specific dealer that has Taken care of them for 20 plus years,that don't sell both brands. YFZ owners should rejoice,they won every shootout. Good for them,and I'll bet many of them share my opinion, BIG DEAL. I don't second geuss my decision one bit. when I chase the YFZ down and pass him it will be that much sweeter for me,because,according to the magazines,that shuld never happen.

jab0400
02-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Guys, markeg is right. When i started this thread i was not pointing out the shootouts between the 450r and yfz, i was pointing out the opinions magazines give on ALL atvs. I just dont think they give thier honest opinion. Jeff

raptor_02
02-16-2004, 02:39 PM
all i know is both quads kick butt and it don't matter which one you own, these quads are so close the rider on them is what's going to make the difference. I went with a YFZ because they were out first. If the Honda would have been out I don't know which way I would have went but probaly still the YFZ. Seems like you can get more power out of it cheaper IMO but that's just an opinion. But when it comes down to it, both quads modded out are going to have about the same power, and handle about the same so like I said, rider will make the difference.