PDA

View Full Version : Ignition/Starter

Quad18star
02-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Ok well at the races this past weekend I seen a guy with a Z400 that was totally built . As i took a closer look at his quad I noticed that his handlebars weren't as cluttered as stock bars would usually be ( ie no parking brake , light switch etc ). I also notoced that his electric start button was gone and all he had was a little red button that he used as his starter button . Anyone ever do this before?? If so , was it hard to install?? Where did you get the parts to do it ?? And how much did it cost?? I really liked this kind of setup because it seemed to really clean up the loom of the bars .

Also do you think it would be a bad idea if I ran the quad without the headlights?? I know everyone says run the YFZ with the headlights on at all times to reduce the over-charging of the batteries . None of the pro racers are running with there headlights ( DUHHH!!!!) so how /what are they doing to solve this electrical/charging problem?? Are they all running a different battery?? PLEASE help me ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rtyfz450
02-14-2004, 08:59 AM
The overcharge problem is only with a select number of bikes and if you have never experienced it I wouldn't worry about running with the lights on. My serial number is 0064 (last four digits) and I have never had any overcharge or starting issues at all. I take the light off all the time when I race simply because I don't want to break them. If you do have problems with you battery take it to your dealer and have them fix it, if under warrenty.

As to the issue with the handle bar clutter, if you want no other control except the magic button first. you look at the electrical diagram in the service manual. Find the wires for the start switch and the run/stop switch which are 27 and 28 on the diagram on page 8-16 in the electrical section. Then this is your part, on the internet and at alot of electrical suppy companies you can find a starter button. find one that you like and then you have some options in attaching it. Either you can jerry rig the switch on uing your own enginuity or find a starter button that has a clamp on it that fits the Outside Diameter of you handlebars.

Final step, now you need to attach the wires for the starter button to the new starter button. look at your diagram and find the wires from the loom, then cut the loom and eliminate the wires for the lights ( you can't use the lights if you do this) I would then not cut the wires off but save them in a bundle under the plastic making sure to cap each wire with a connector so you won't run into shorting problems or cause a electrical fire. Or even more practical, I would get an on and off switch and relocate the light switch under the plastic. Then you will probably need to soder the wires for the new start button on or get connectors that fit it. DO NOT TRY any other method like those connectors you see in your house because this is a quad and stuff gets vibrated off and this can cause fire and /or shorting your whole harness. THen there is the on/off switch of you dont want this and have already installed a kill switch then save the wires under the plastic or take them off the bike but make sure there are NO EXPOSED WIRES. I assume you are racing (to do this) so I would just run a prodesign kill switch or whatever brand you like. I caution you though, If you are unfimiliar with electrical be careful you don't want to toast any wires.

Sick0
02-14-2004, 10:24 AM
The easy place to find( and probly the start button you talking ) is a kill switch of a cr oryz dirt bike. I did it on my 400ex and it worked great. Plus they only cost like 12 dollars and are pretty easy to find at your local dirt bike store.

rtyfz450
02-14-2004, 10:46 AM
good deal sicko, that was Exactly what I was think of I just didn't want to say because I forgot where I saw it.

Sick0
02-14-2004, 04:04 PM
My only thing about the yfz is the lights are so to take on and off thats just keep the switch, and the use the lights for any time I'm not practicing or race. But the 400ex I went with race cut with a carbon fiber hood so I couldn't use the lights any ways. Plus a couple of months after owning the 400ex I manage tol break off the little start button on the control. How sweet was it when I found out how easy and well the kill switch works. Plus it looks pretty clean.