PDA

View Full Version : Rancher Idle/Acceleration Problems

BlazingYamahaYz
02-13-2004, 04:24 PM
hey guys-
my friend has a 2002 Rancher ES 4x4...and when you rev it in neutral, and then let off the throttle, it remains at a high idle, and then you pull up on the choke knob and nothing happens, and then when you push the choke knob down, and the idle goes back to normal....any ideas what it could be? and then also when you give it gas it starts to cut out...(it has gas in it, for sure, and it has ran in colder weather before too)....any help would be appreciated....

cals400ex
02-13-2004, 06:42 PM
the throttle cable doesn't seem to be sticking does it?

BlazingYamahaYz
02-13-2004, 08:06 PM
umm....i dunno....like when its in its high idle, and i put it in first, i push the gas it starts to accelerate then cuts out and then back again.....it could be...ill have to check tomorrow and give ya an update.....thanks for the suggestion....anything else guys?

cals400ex
02-14-2004, 12:57 AM
i would probally try to lube the throttle and choke cable along with cleaning the carb out.

mustang93
02-14-2004, 02:57 PM
I have a rancher and had the same problem. if you look where the choke cable goes into the carb thats where your problem is. what happens is water gets in the assembaly and rusts the little spring in side there then the rust corrodes the hole thing up and the choke sticks. simptoms include stalling high idle to low idle and all of the above at the same time, its realy frustrating:mad: I priced the ting and it was like $67 you cant just by the spring you have to buy the whole thing:mad: . after replacing the spring with a regular one from the hardware store and having the same thing happen 2 months later I went back and bought a stainless spring zip tied & siliconed the rubber boot and havn't had a problem since. I always wondered if this was a common problem but the dealer claims its not. fond it on this sit for ya its piece # 9

http://www.planethondaracing.com/cgi-bin/hondaparts/results_parts_details?mv_session_id=k9dECc3m&mv_pc=96&se=pg_d_id%3d809%20and%20pg_my_id%3d79

also this site sells it for $37 my dealer must be a real ripoff:mad:

http://216.37.204.202/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=72&B=18

hope this helps:rolleyes:

BlazingYamahaYz
02-14-2004, 05:55 PM
thanks mustang and cals...i forwarded this page to my friend, hopefully we can work on it tomorrow after fire training in the morning.....thanks again...:)