PDA

View Full Version : 400ex enough power for dunes?

montyjcm
02-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Hey,
I hear a lot of people say that the 400ex is underpowered for the dunes. For you guys who run 400ex in the dunes, is that true? If it is, what mods make it great for the dunes? Thanks for the help.

2004TRX450R
02-13-2004, 07:57 PM
That depends on your rideing level and what you are used to rideing. Comming off my ATC250R it is under powered but it can get you pretty much anywhere you want to go with no problems. If you start modding them they should do pretty good. I have seen some that were really fast at Florence before. Not sure what all was done to them though.

ckasper18
02-13-2004, 08:37 PM
my 400ex gets along real well i ride it all the time when were dune riding and have a ball.My motor is pretty moch stock exept for a cam and suspension a arns and i have no problems climbing any hills or catching major air when i want to go fast i hop on my crf450 houser quad and can kick a lot of 2 stroke butt and it is a ton of fun but for the lobg journeys i ride the 400ex because its way better on gas and a ton of fun to ride.If you like to ride it dont matter what you ride as long as you are riding..Cathing air and climbing dunes enjoy

310Rduner
02-13-2004, 10:28 PM
It depends on how aggressive you like to ride. A 400ex can make it up any hill, but I guarantee you it can't ACCELERATE up a hill like a two stroke can, it will torque it up.. but thats about it. Coming off any bike with a decent amount of power will make the 400 seem like a dog in the sand. If you have only ridden a 400 in the sand you probably won't know much difference. I've put probably 10 hours or more on my cousins 02 400ex, with full sparks x-6, K&N, and 6 degrees advanced and I will say that it is still a dog in the sand compared to my R, another 2 stroke or a Yfz.

airheadedduner
02-13-2004, 10:49 PM
They will go anywhere you want them to. Just don't expect to be king of the hill untill you sink some money into the motor. The greatest thing about the EX is it can be enjoyed by anyone:D

JOEX
02-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Yeah, what everyone else said, it depends on your experience and how you ride and what you consider underpowered. It does have some limitations in the power department but it is all perspective.

My 400 is the only quad i've owned and it suits me just fine. I don't care much for going real fast in a straight line and I don't jump real huge either. It can be built to do that fairly easily but I don't think it will ever compare to a two stroke.

Joe

HondaChris
02-14-2004, 10:37 PM
I love mine in the dunes, just for the simple fact is pretty much a do all bike. I drag race mine, climb hills, and like I said, do everything you can do in the dunes. Just be wise and race other comparable quads, and it wont seem underpowered.

jmpulse
02-15-2004, 12:28 AM
In the smaller dune range, maybee 100' tall dunes, it will do just fine. It all depends on the paddles you have. when I was running the 8 paddle straights, my 416 would make it to the top of drag hill at sand mt, 500', in first gear wot. Wasn't much fun, except for the challenge of making it to the top.

On the smaller dunes, it is a blast. Even a stock 400ex will be able to jump the jumping dunes, and carve the bowls. Just don't ever stop at the bottom of a larger dune! I found this out the hard way!!!

K2Snow
02-15-2004, 03:05 AM
Rider ability has a lot to do with it. I ride really small dunes compared to the others ones out here on the west coast, but I can keep up with ANYBODY. Again though, these are rather small dunes (Pismo). I'm on a bone stock 300EX, haven't even aired down my tires from the factory yet I still haven't found a bike/person I couldn't keep up with (till we get to the flats).

Glamis400ex
02-15-2004, 09:39 PM
I agree with everyone else here and add that your weight will be a factor also. I weigh 235 so I needed to either sell it or build it....I chose to build it. No regrets.

Glamis

RH1N08d9
02-16-2004, 04:44 PM
My ex is bored to a 406, has stage 2 hotcams, and some other fun stuff, I needed more power when riding the dunes with 2 modded raptors and a yfz450, but in march when my dad and I go to lil sahara, OK, I won't have a problem with the power cause it's just me, and my dad on his prairie 650!

mikeminyard
02-16-2004, 05:29 PM
I had a stock 400EX and all I did was air down the tires and go to a 13 tooth sprocket when I got it. I ride in Florence and Winchester Bay with Z400's, Raptors, an LT500, a CR250, and my other friend has a 250R with over 12K invested. I kept up everywhere they went with no problems at all and I weigh 230 pounds. You just have to learn how to control the bike. Now on the flats, everyone, but the Z400's smoke me, and once we hit third they would pull away too. Now that I have paddles, a pipe and new air filter, I am going to go to a 14 tooth sprocket.

wilkin250r
02-16-2004, 06:53 PM
As everybody said, it depends on what you want it to do. No, the 400EX isn't going to win any hill shoots, but there are very few places a 400EX CAN'T go. In all honesty, the few places a 400EX can't make up, but a banshee can, those places are pretty steep and pretty scary, and most people are afraid to go anyways.

If you plan on heading to those places that a 400EX can't go, you better be on top of your game, because one mistake can literally cost you your life. Even if you're lucky enough to jump off your quad quickly, your quad is going to be totalled by the time it reaches the bottom of the hill.

zephead400ex
02-17-2004, 10:27 AM
aww...what the hell, I will reiterate what everyone else has said too! A 400ex will do just fine. I would really suggest getting some paddles. But you can let some air out of the tires to give you more tire on the sand for better traction. When I first bought my 400 I rode it stock a few times on the sand and absolutely loved it. Now that I can actually ride the thing I tear up the sand, even with my Gecko's, haha.

Martin Blair
02-17-2004, 08:17 PM
mine works well in the dunes with all my mods. I rode a z400 with a ct exhaust and K&N and my 400 semmed like it did alot better sinc eits designed for woods and has alot of lowend it climbs anything, i can even beat some piped banshees

RH1N08d9
02-17-2004, 09:11 PM
I have heard that z400's don't have much torque, that's probably why they can barely stay ahead of 400ex's until the higher rpm's?

K2Snow
02-17-2004, 10:51 PM
i've ridden a couple of 400ex's and only one z400, the z was stock and seemed significantly faster to me than the ex's. i'm light, and i found the front end wanting to come up when really getting on the gas or going over any slight bump.

foleyit
02-18-2004, 10:06 AM
I agree like others have said on this topic. It really depends on your level of riding abilities. I'll switch quads and ride my cousin's 300ex and I can keep up with my group when carving the dunes.

A stock 400ex isn't going to win the races on the flats or up Comp Hill, but it will get the job done when out carving. If you like to race, just race others that are close to what you have done on your quad.

montyjcm
02-20-2004, 06:36 PM
The reason I am asking is because I am on the verge of purchasing either a 400ex or cannondale. My brother has a lt250r that I want to be able to hang with and possibly beat, but it isn't a must. Thanks for the replies, it has given me a better perspective!

One more question, this may sound dumb, but in small dunes like pismo, can the ex jump far and high? Thanks agian:p

foleyit
02-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Well if your brother has a lt250r and it has a pipe and hasn't been bored out. The 400ex and lt250r will be pretty close, again big percentage depends on the rider. I've gotten some air out there at Pismo and that's by choice :D . but I'm only hitting them in 3rd. I'm not out there trying to kill myself just out to have a good time.

montyjcm
02-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Well, I have only ridden a 250ex at pismo, and we could only get about 1 ft air WOT. I know that a 400ex is a whole nother thing, but how much air can you get?

310Rduner
02-20-2004, 10:14 PM
I tried jumping the 400ex with mods on a trip, and it was MUCH harder to jump over tall dunes. Any dunes of seizable height make it hard to carry momentum over the edge, I tried going up 3rd, WOT, 4th WOT with poor results. They jump nice, but its just hard to get em up a hill fast enough to get more than 5ft of distance. I know it has to do with speed, because on my R I have no problem carrying momentum up and over the edge, and getting 20-30ft of distance.

gopeddin400EX
02-20-2004, 11:06 PM
with my '00 400EX I can jump about 4 or 5 feet high, with not really trying really hard. but I tell you what, no matter what size or shape you are if you can pull a wheelie the 400EX is the thug twizzle, I can ride a wheelie forever.

gopeddin400EX
02-20-2004, 11:08 PM
and another thing, I weigh about 135 and I can beat a 200 pound guy on an lt400, I can get a good quad length ahead of him on sand highway.

K2Snow
02-21-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by montyjcm
Well, I have only ridden a 250ex at pismo, and we could only get about 1 ft air WOT. I know that a 400ex is a whole nother thing, but how much air can you get?

heh, you just haven't been hitting the right jumps. keep a look out for norcal400 and I's video. all footage at pismo. i'm sure you'd be very surprised to see just how far an EX can go.

montyjcm
02-21-2004, 11:18 AM
When I was at pismo, we stopped and watched a yfz and 400ex jump up one of the larger and steeper dunes. It was easily getting 10ft of air and 35ft distance. I just don't know if it was a 440ex or had engine mods, that is why I am asking.

PismoGuy400
02-21-2004, 08:30 PM
one more thing.. it also depends WHERE youre riding. Pismo a stock 400 has no problems making it up any and all dunes. Then when you venture out into no mans land like glamis.. or st anthone or oregon.. thats where the 400 will lag behind the pack.

montyjcm
02-24-2004, 07:04 PM
When I was at pismo, we stopped and watched a yfz and 400ex jump up one of the larger and steeper dunes. It was easily getting 10ft of air and 35ft distance. I just don't know if it was a 440ex or had engine mods, that is why I am asking

Do you guys think that this was a 440ex? It seemed to be doing just as well as the yfz.

K2Snow
02-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Do you guys think that this was a 440ex? It seemed to be doing just as well as the yfz.

maybe, although i've seen generally stock 400EXs jumping just as far

hondaexryda
02-25-2004, 06:00 PM
well matters what you have on your 400ex...get a full pipe kit and jet it...you probley wont have trouble making up any dunes at DUMONT

xr50kid
02-25-2004, 09:24 PM
I say it makes a difference just how crazy you are or rider level you could say. I jump on my stock 400ex just with nerf bars and paddles easy 10 high at little shara im not saying i land percet ever time but it can do it.

PS- saving up for shocks

416rider
02-25-2004, 10:04 PM
:devil: Why do you question a 400ex and even a honda?:devil:

montyjcm
02-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Cause I am not brand loyal and deciding between different brands!:D

QuadJunkies
02-27-2004, 12:11 AM
mine does the job, but now it will do the job a little better....:D I cant WAIT to ride the dunes this summer!!:macho

montyjcm
03-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Would a 400ex with an aftermarket carb work well at the dunes?

montyjcm
03-02-2004, 02:40 PM
BTW, what about a 250r, they are pretty cheap, but I don't really want an unreliable quad. Since they are so old, or are they reliable for desert and dune riding.

QuadJunkies
03-02-2004, 11:55 PM
BTW, what about a 250r, they are pretty cheap, but I don't really want an unreliable quad. Since they are so old, or are they reliable for desert and dune riding. They rock on Sand.......:cool:

twisted threads
03-03-2004, 04:17 AM
BTW, what about a 250r, they are pretty cheap, but I don't really want an unreliable quad. Since they are so old, or are they reliable for desert and dune riding.

250r's are OK... I guess.;) :D

wilkin250r
03-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
mine does the job, but now it will do the job a little better....:D I cant WAIT to ride the dunes this summer!!:macho

Bring it with you to Milford in May. We'll hit the dunes, and I'll take you up some stuff that'll scare the pants off ya!

Bad Habit
03-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Bring it with you to Milford in May. We'll hit the dunes, and I'll take you up some stuff that'll scare the pants off ya!

Scare her pants off? Wilkin, make sure you get plenty of pics :devil: :eek2:

QuadJunkies
03-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Bring it with you to Milford in May. We'll hit the dunes, and I'll take you up some stuff that'll scare the pants off ya! :blah: :macho Is the WORCS race in May this year there???? WOW~~~ Not too far away!!!:eek2:

QuadJunkies
03-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Bad Habit
Scare her pants off? Wilkin, make sure you get plenty of pics :devil: :eek2: :o

wilkin250r
03-04-2004, 04:06 PM
:blah: :macho Is the WORCS race in May this year there???? WOW~~~ Not too far away!!!:eek2:

Round 7, Milford, CA, May 21-23

Are you going to make it out this year?

Maybe I better hurry up and get my 340 rebuilt so I can really spank you on the drag hill :devil:

QuadJunkies
03-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Round 7, Milford, CA, May 21-23

Are you going to make it out this year?

Maybe I better hurry up and get my 340 rebuilt so I can really spank you on the drag hill :devil: LMAO!!:p Not sure, its all about $$ right now, so many places to race......So Little Money.....:( Our series starts in May ... Ill let you know in plenty of time though if I do!!!:D :) Just dont spank me too hard. Im a sore loser!!!!:o ;)

mephyst
03-11-2004, 09:32 PM
My 400 as you can see in my profile doesn't have too much done to it and it does great in the sand. I have no problems with it and it gets me where I want to go. I also only weigh 130 lbs and the power to weight ratio is pretty good for me compared to you big guys out there. :devil: Honestly, on a 400 I believe it runs BETTER without paddels. The 400 really doesn't have the power for the paddels and the extra traction and that is why a lot of people get a little bog in the sand and blame it on the bike. The 400 runs well with knobbies because it needs that little bit of slip to keep up your RPMs. Try it sometime, and does anyone get what I am trying to say? :blah:

QuadJunkies
03-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by mephyst
My 400 as you can see in my profile doesn't have too much done to it and it does great in the sand. I have no problems with it and it gets me where I want to go. I also only weigh 130 lbs and the power to weight ratio is pretty good for me compared to you big guys out there. :devil: Honestly, on a 400 I believe it runs BETTER without paddels. The 400 really doesn't have the power for the paddels and the extra traction and that is why a lot of people get a little bog in the sand and blame it on the bike. The 400 runs well with knobbies because it needs that little bit of slip to keep up your RPMs. Try it sometime, and does anyone get what I am trying to say? :blah: I have to disagree with ya on that one, I ran my Turf Tamers twice on sand now And I hated it. I like to climb a bit and the tamers sucked, I feel much better with a paddle for climbing, but for smaller stuff and play they are fine and the stock tires do well too!!! I do get what your are saying, but alot has to do with WHAT KIND of sand riding you are doing as well.....:)

mephyst
03-11-2004, 10:16 PM
I have to disagree with ya on that one, I ran my Turf Tamers twice on sand now And I hated it. I like to climb a bit and the tamers sucked, I feel much better with a paddle for climbing, but for smaller stuff and play they are fine and the stock tires do well too!!! I do get what your are saying, but alot has to do with WHAT KIND of sand riding you are doing as well.....:)

Maybe because I am a lot lighter and stay on top anyway has a lot to do with it also. And does Dumont Dunes sound like a lot of sand riding to you? :devil:

montyjcm
03-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Can the ex make it up the big dunes at dumont? I was thinking of going there sometime . . .

Btw, does it get crowed there on the weekends?

JOEX
03-11-2004, 11:08 PM
.....Honestly, on a 400 I believe it runs BETTER without paddels. The 400 really doesn't have the power for the paddels and the extra traction and that is why a lot of people get a little bog in the sand and blame it on the bike. The 400 runs well with knobbies because it needs that little bit of slip to keep up your RPMs. Try it sometime, and does anyone get what I am trying to say? :blah:

:huh
Makes sense if you're riding the flats or mild trails but get into some hills or aggressive trails I bet you'll be wishing you had paddles:o ;)

Joe

QuadJunkies
03-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Maybe because I am a lot lighter and stay on top anyway has a lot to do with it also. And does Dumont Dunes sound like a lot of sand riding to you? :devil: Yes. being lighter DOES help..... but I can tell you... a set of knobbies wont do you chit on this.....:D http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p8aa000dfed6aa1f254136f96a88ff8c4/fba72611.jpg

QuadJunkies
03-11-2004, 11:11 PM
nope.......you wont find a knobbie one out here!!!:o http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p0ac6e4ee80257b096cf414122d175c21/fba72638.jpg

mephyst
03-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Yeah, the EX does fine at Dumont. On the weekends it is not nearly as crowded as the notorious GLAMIS, but there is a good amount of people. I can send e-mail you a pic of all the camps of last Saturday, a normal weekend out at the sand. It looks like a lot of people and all but once you are out there riding around it's kind of wierd, you don't see that many people at all. And damn... that is one steep hill! :eek2:

QuadJunkies
03-12-2004, 08:58 AM
Yeah, the EX does fine at Dumont. On the weekends it is not nearly as crowded as the notorious GLAMIS, but there is a good amount of people. I can send e-mail you a pic of all the camps of last Saturday, a normal weekend out at the sand. It looks like a lot of people and all but once you are out there riding around it's kind of wierd, you don't see that many people at all. And damn... that is one steep hill! :eek2: We have a group of riders freom Idaho that go to Dumont evcery New years and say its great riding there......:)
The pics I posted are St. Anthonys in Idaho.......;)

montyjcm
03-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Man, I want to go to st. anthony's, maybe if my parents plan another trip to yellowstone . . .:D

foleyit
03-12-2004, 10:30 PM
I love the dunes at Dumont. They have a little bit for your beginner riders if you stay to the outside and ride the little fingers. The bigger dunes are definitely not for your beginner rider. One of the things I love about Dumont the most are the razors. I read once that that shortest of the 2 hills at Dumont is 340 feet tall. That makes a one tall dune. Will an EX it make it to the top? At the time, I had a CDI, pipe, jetted carb, and filter with sand skate IIs -- it made it up the face pretty good. But I watched a stock 400ex try several times, didn't know the person so can't account for his riding ability. Long weekends at Dumont can get a bit crowded, but an off weekend is a sand dune paradise.

foleyit
03-12-2004, 10:35 PM
http://www.evite.com/viewPict?pictID=ZNRXRZBNAWAVINTHHXMY

wilkin250r
03-15-2004, 12:51 PM
Honestly, on a 400 I believe it runs BETTER without paddels. The 400 really doesn't have the power for the paddels and the extra traction and that is why a lot of people get a little bog in the sand and blame it on the bike. The 400 runs well with knobbies because it needs that little bit of slip to keep up your RPMs. Try it sometime, and does anyone get what I am trying to say? :blah:

It also depends on the type of paddles you are riding. If you have tall paddles, they are going to bite more. You can get small paddles the still "slip" and keep your RPMs, but still give you the traction you need to climb the big hills.

I can tell you, at Sand Mountain in Nevada, there is no way you are getting to the top without paddles.