PDA

View Full Version : Electric cutouts for truck exhaust...

YLW400
02-13-2004, 12:35 PM
I have a 99 Z-71, and i just ordered an electric cutout (dump) for it. What it does is allow the exhaust to escape before the muffler, resulting in a very loud noise..lol Anyone have any experience with these? I am wondering what it is going to sound like......

nipps85
02-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Why did you buy that? :confused:

YLW400
02-13-2004, 12:41 PM
to make my truck louder perhaps?

quadrcr161
02-13-2004, 12:44 PM
when you run the extra exhaust it would be best to run it at least past the cab and do turn downs. this will quiten it a little and not be under the cab giving you a headach.

YLW400
02-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Thats a good idea...I won't be running it open all the time, just when I wanna make a little racket:o lol You ever heard these on a Chevy truck Quadrcr?

quadrcr161
02-13-2004, 12:51 PM
no but i have heard a chevy truck with the exhaust cut off at the cab back, no mufflers, no pipes. just all kind of loud and nasty. you will prob loose a bit of low end but prob pick up a few mpg if you open it up going down the highway.

YLW400
02-13-2004, 12:56 PM
If it sounds like hell, it is going on E-bay, I can tell you that now..lol

nipps85
02-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by YLW400
to make my truck louder perhaps?
oh... i was hoping it was a mistake. Louder... okay, if your into that. :rolleyes:

YLW400
02-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Yea jackass, it was a mistake:o Nipples, if you are going to do nothing but make smart *** comments, take it elsewhere;)

Tommy 17
02-13-2004, 01:25 PM
ylw i've heard them before on a camaro... VERY LOUD!!! sounds awesome... really deep throaty sound...

when u close them it sounds exactly like it was stock... when u open them its extremely loud!

CTmxyfz
02-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Where the hell do i get one for my bronco?

YLW400
02-13-2004, 01:58 PM
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/qtec.htm

Right here..these are universal. It just goes from the o.d. of your pipe..

Cool Tommy, I will have it next time I come to Rausch!! I wanted a full system, but with racing I have to travel and I don't wanna hear that crap when driving 3 or 4 hours, so then I'll just close it up :D

AtvMxRider
02-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Yea jackass, it was a mistake:o Nipples, if you are going to do nothing but make smart *** comments, take it elsewhere;) http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/atvmxrider/banhim.gif

YLW400
02-13-2004, 02:16 PM
:cuss: I didn't even do anything..:blah:

AtvMxRider
02-13-2004, 02:18 PM
:cuss: I didn't even do anything..:blah:

I was talking about nipples.........:D

YLW400
02-13-2004, 02:21 PM
:o oh..........lol

chucked
02-13-2004, 02:33 PM
how will it give you better mpg? more flow = more air = more gas, unless you want it to run super lean, which would make it run hot and like crap

quadrcr161
02-13-2004, 02:55 PM
if your going down open road cruising on the interstate, youll have less back pressure and the motor wont work as hard. just a good steady speed.

chucked
02-13-2004, 03:09 PM
here ill just tell you, you will get a lot let mpg, proove me wrong, i know people that already have these, if you have less back pressure you system will run more rich which means more gas,

CTmxyfz
02-13-2004, 03:23 PM
I was looking in my JC whitney catalog and they have some ones for 40 bucks but not electric. I might try them. Do they connect before the cat or after the cat between the muffler and cat? If i get dual pipes one of these days, will i need to buy another one?

MIKE400EX
02-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Oh great! There's goes the neighborhood!!!!!

quadrcr161
02-13-2004, 03:29 PM
why would you run rich? b/c its blowing out more air and in turn sucking in more air? ive had several people i know change exhause to more free flowing on their truck, im from alabama thats almost a requirement. they said their city mpg has dropped but hyw mpg has incresed. my theory is once you get to cruising speeds the motor has to work less to produce the same amount of power by the free flowing exhaust, which means you dont have to push the motor as hard which will use less gas. plus if your talking about a vehicle with an ecu it resets its self every so often to change the mixtures of the motor.

chucked
02-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
why would you run rich? b/c its blowing out more air and in turn sucking in more air? ive had several people i know change exhause to more free flowing on their truck, im from alabama thats almost a requirement. they said their city mpg has dropped but hyw mpg has incresed. my theory is once you get to cruising speeds the motor has to work less to produce the same amount of power by the free flowing exhaust, which means you dont have to push the motor as hard which will use less gas. plus if your talking about a vehicle with an ecu it resets its self every so often to change the mixtures of the motor.
but he will push it harder, its not like hes gonna be like "hey now that it goes faster i wont have it give it as much gas"

quadrcr161
02-13-2004, 03:36 PM
yes, but im not figuring in the driver that had ALOT to do with gas milage. i have a friend with a integra ls swapped crx that drives it like a granny.

edit: it still wont run rich. think of it this way, its like taking a quad and adding a more flowing exhaust, its running too lean with the factory jets do you have to go up a few jet sizes. if its in a new truck with the ecu, once the ecu senses a change in the mixture it adds the correct air or fuel to balance out the mixture.

TheX1992
02-14-2004, 11:58 AM
my friend has these on his 88 chevy with a built 350. 3 seconds and the flap opens. its mainly for intimidating other cars at a stoplight or revving it up in a parking lot to turn heads. when he tries to drive with it, it is better having them closed. there is hardly and backpressure so it likes to be real doggy and not idle right. i was going to get the mechanical version for mine, but i would rather put that money to insurance or something. it is loud as hell, im telling you that right now. your ears will be ringing. you are just running right off your headers/manifold so what do you expect? i tell you what though, when he hits that switch and they open, there is a grin from ear to ear on the guys face.

Mr.Offroad
02-14-2004, 01:25 PM
If it sounds like hell, it is going on E-bay, I can tell you that now..lol It depends what kinda noise you're into. We did this on our cars when I was a kid, and all it does is make it sound like a demo-derby car and loose horsepower. It was then that we found out about the marvels of backpressure. Flow-through mufflers do more for them horsepower-wise, but if you're just into pissing off the girlfriends dad....it'll work!:blah:

hondafox440
02-14-2004, 01:30 PM
I heard them on a Hemi Ram the other day. Sounded SO nice..

YLW400
02-24-2004, 10:13 AM
I got it put on last week, and I love it. It actually isn't as loud as I thought it was going to be. You can still see exhaust coming out of the rear stock exhaust, so some of the sound it obviously muffled. CT, they connect after the cats, but before the muffler......
Mr Offroad, I'm married so I don't have to worry about pissing off the girls dad, just my neighbors at 6 am when I leave to go racing...lol